Skip to main content

1938 Fargo Pickup.

More
10 years 5 months ago #12674 by asw120
Replied by asw120 on topic Re: 1938 Fargo Pickup.
I have freed up a few engines over the years.
I wouldn't think stuck valves would do that, (once you get them stuck open, it frees the cam up) stuck rings might, though if you have a bit of wear in the bores. Gudgeons can also. (Studes do this)
I thought of loose carbon on the pistons - a mate had a bike we couldn't kick over at all - just loose carbon. Not sure if that would give you 90 degrees, though?

Do you have the head off it?

ASW.

“I offer my opponents a bargain: if they will stop telling lies about us, I will stop telling the truth about them”

― Adlai E. Stevenson II

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
10 years 5 months ago #12675 by Bugly
Replied by Bugly on topic Re: 1938 Fargo Pickup.

Hi All,

Well, I didn't make my deadline of August due to an engine that has tight spot in it. All the pistons are free in the bores but when I try to turn it, it has a tight spot for about 90 degrees of the 360 degrees of rotation.
Its tight enough that the starter cannot make it past the said 90 degrees but can be barred over on the flywheel.

Have you tried turning it over with the spark plugs out? Might be tied up with a problem on only one cylinder, and this might tell you which one.

1948 Fordson E83W 10/10 pickup

More
10 years 5 months ago - 10 years 5 months ago #12676 by Mrsmackpaul
Replied by Mrsmackpaul on topic Re: 1938 Fargo Pickup.
over head valve ? if so you could take the rocker cover off pull the push rods out just push down on the valve with rocker and they should if theres enough room in the block and head be able to sit in place to the side of the rocker ? otherwise pull the push rods out and keep them in the correct order get a piece of card board and poke holes threw it and put one push rod in each . Then pull out the spark plugs and give it a try eliminates the top end causing the problem . If still tight I would lift the head and see if there is rust in a bore might just need a hone sorry if I have been a bit simple in my explantion but Im just trying to explain my self seeya and good luck
Paul

if it is side valve could you pull the tappet covers off and lever the tappets up and down to see if there is something tight
all just thoughts dont shoot me :)

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging
Last edit: 10 years 5 months ago by Mrsmackpaul.

More
10 years 5 months ago - 10 years 5 months ago #12677 by someguy
Replied by someguy on topic Re: 1938 Fargo Pickup.
Thanks for all the insight guys, I am going to go out and roll the old girl over a few times and see what I come up with. Then I am going to work on the truck...ba dum bum.

It's a side valve (valve in block) Paul, I appreciate the help. I have avoided taking the head off due to seriously corroded hardware. I just wanted to cover the easy stuff before having to fight with the head bolts that have become one with the head.

I will post what happens. -10c today and snowy, good for a garage day. :)

Heres the distraction I was talking about earlier. I have been a VW guy for years and the Fargo is my escape.

Yer not lernin if yer mouth is open
Last edit: 10 years 5 months ago by someguy.

More
10 years 5 months ago #12678 by Bobsboy
Replied by Bobsboy on topic Re: 1938 Fargo Pickup.
OMG
More treasure.
(can I be your friend?)
LOL
-b

Mucking about on the edge

More
10 years 5 months ago #12679 by asw120
Replied by asw120 on topic Re: 1938 Fargo Pickup.
There is a VW like that still in daily use by someone at my son's school. (actually, I forget if it's a split, or an oval, but looks like yours.) Still has old "Q" number plate (pre 1956 in Queensland, Oz.)
Cheers.

“I offer my opponents a bargain: if they will stop telling lies about us, I will stop telling the truth about them”

― Adlai E. Stevenson II

More
10 years 3 months ago #12680 by 55ZED
Replied by 55ZED on topic Re: 1938 Fargo Pickup.
I saw an old falcon once, the owner cleaned up the paint and put on coat of clear to preserve and protect it, always looked good.. and original

1945 Dodge Fargo FL1s-16&&1955 Mk1 Zephyr&&1962 Mk3 Zephyr

More
10 years 3 months ago - 10 years 3 months ago #12681 by Fargo Australia
Please help! We have a Fargo Truck, its suppose to be 1937. It has a wooden tray and cab with double weels at back. We found it in Western Australia, does anyone know the correct year?
Last edit: 10 years 3 months ago by Fargo Australia.

More
10 years 3 months ago #12682 by Bugly
Replied by Bugly on topic Re: 1938 Fargo Pickup.
Hey FargoOz - can you post a photo here? Have a look at the FAQ section on how to do this. Also any info regarding serial numbers, engine numbers etc would be helpful. Look forward to the pictures!!

1948 Fordson E83W 10/10 pickup

More
8 years 8 months ago #12683 by someguy
Replied by someguy on topic Re: 1938 Fargo Pickup.
Well, I figured an update may be necessary. The engine is cleaned up and the radiator is being rebuilt as we speak.

I haven't lost the will, just blowing the budget a bit set me back. When the rad gets back I will post pics soon.

Hope to be back shortly. See you guys. :)

Yer not lernin if yer mouth is open

Time to create page: 0.537 seconds