Skip to main content

Rear hub seals

More
16 years 5 months ago #687 by Steve
Rear hub seals was created by Steve
My rear axle seals are leaking diff oil into my rear brakes. I have taken the hub off and removed the rear seal. However there is only a seal on the inside bearing, is there supposed to be a seal on the outside bearing where the axle faces? I can't find a diagram that shows and none of the parts people I have spoken with know either.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
16 years 5 months ago #688 by Steve
Replied by Steve on topic Re: Rear hub seals
Sorry, its a D-series 1310 inter truck

16 years 5 months ago #689 by
Replied by on topic Re: Rear hub seals
Hi Steve, The seal that holds the bearings at back may have gone hard and rubbed a groove where it is meant to seat.
There fore you may need filler and a speedy selvee.Dave

More
16 years 5 months ago #690 by GM Diesel
Replied by GM Diesel on topic Re: Rear hub seals
Steve
Make sure your diff isnt over full with oil.Have a look at the outside bearing adjustment nut. Some of the diffs have a rubber face seal located in the nut which sits against the inside surface of the axle flange. If this seal is faulty or a to thicker axle gasket is installed oil can make its way from the diff tube into the bearing area and inturn get to the seal. CBC bearings can get chicago rawhide brand seals for both the inner lip seal and outer nut seal. As Dave said if there is a groove worn where the seal runs you will have to either sleeve it or make up a 1/16" spacer to go between the seal and the hub so the seal sits in a new position.
Some diffs had oil lubricated bearings also with a specific procedure for filling hubs. Either way I think you may be up for some new seals.
Barry

GM Diesels - Converting diesel into noise since 1938.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Terra

16 years 5 months ago #691 by
Replied by on topic Re: Rear hub seals
Don't have much details on the D series inter's. But from what I have seen of inters they generally don't change much except looks from one model to the next!

And when my AB model was being made there appeared to be only two main types of rear hubs. Full floating or semi floating being used for large and smaller trucks respectively. Sounds like you have a full floating (these were more common)

My AB being a 151 model also has the full floating hubs. This has a oil seal like Barry mentions built into the locking nut sealing against the inside of the axle flange. And as barry points out the flange gasket is important to be the right thickness to ensure good seal without to much pressure on the seal. The other gasket in this type is at the inside end of the drum which is a grease seal and not an oil seal.

The semi floating was a bit different. It has two seals. One in the axle housing and the other in the drum area. Both normal looking circular seals.

In the AB series both types of axles use grease for the bearings. (may have changed on the D series don't know) When you dismantled it do you have any grease in the bearings? The only time I have had oil leak problem from those seals was due to the gasket thickness on the flange. And it was only corrupting the grease in the bearings not into the drums. Thanks to the inner seal that you mention keeping the oil/grease mix in the hub. Installation of the hub (with bearings and inner seal installed and packed with grease) onto axle, then the first nut set pre-load, install lock washer and then install locking nut WITH INTEGRAL SEAL (International's terminology). Bend over locking tabs from lock washer then install axle shaft with flange. So the flange will seal with the locking nut. Keeping the diff oil in the diff and the grease in the bearings! I have some diagrams but again these are for an AB and don't have a scanner at home! So hopefully the above discription assists!

The seal basically looks like a standard nut but one face has a rubber seal on it!

I did have some problems with brake oil in the drums. But that was due to poor dust seals and contimanation of the brake cylinders etc.

Hope the above assists. Will see if I can get the use of a scanner and get a diagram of the AB series hub for you.

More
16 years 3 months ago #692 by graemets3
Replied by graemets3 on topic Re: Rear hub seals
Is one side or both sides leaking? If both, make sure you check for a blocked differential breather.

More
3 years 6 months ago - 3 years 6 months ago #215196 by Terra
Replied by Terra on topic Re: Rear hub seals
G' day,

I am very curious regarding the seals , the "integral seals", and if my CM 1200 originally had them, as I got the diff oil washing the grease out of the bearings on the driver's side.

I'm Sure the oil seal is keeping the mess out of the brake drum section, but it's leaking quite bad from the axle stub.

About To take it apart to have a look...

Any information appreciated...
Cheers

Terra
Attachments:
Last edit: 3 years 6 months ago by Terra.

More
3 years 6 months ago #215197 by JOHN.K.
Replied by JOHN.K. on topic Re: Rear hub seals
The C 1200 has a Dana axle,which may only have an inner hub seal.......I dont see any problem with oil in the wheel bearings......its been standard practice ever since leather seals were superceded by synthetic ones.

More
3 years 6 months ago - 3 years 6 months ago #215198 by Lang
Replied by Lang on topic Rear hub seals
Instead of an "O" ring on the axle flange you will probably just have a paper type gasket. Damn things always leak after a few years. Cut a new gasket and use some form-a-gasket as well to stop the mess. Disk or drum brakes makes no difference to the inner axle set-up.

Attachments:
Last edit: 3 years 6 months ago by Lang.

More
3 years 6 months ago #215199 by jon_d
Replied by jon_d on topic Rear hub seals
I just use a flange sealant on the axles. No leaks Something like Locktite 515

Time to create page: 0.559 seconds