Skip to main content

Rear hub seals

More
3 years 6 months ago #215201 by Terra
Replied by Terra on topic Re: Rear hub seals
I shoulda have taken a photo below I cleaned the mess on the outside up....

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
3 years 6 months ago - 3 years 6 months ago #215203 by Terra
Replied by Terra on topic Re: Rear hub seals
Yeah, thanks, John , thought that might be the case but wanted to be sure...

Now with these Dana diffs: Did I fill it up too much, that it has such a flush out into the brake drum?
I thought up to the filter nut would be okay... The bearings from first inspection though imbedded in a greasy-oily mash do still
feel alright on first inspection... but there was about 100ml oil in there... Each side...

Also, I used to live on a street with a very extreme camber, which put the whole axle on a tilted angle, thus pushing the oil into the brake drum.... Just wanted to make sure there isn't an o-ring or felt gasket missing on the axle stub itself...

Maybe I just have to put a tad less oil (like 200ml) into the diff?...
Attachments:
Last edit: 3 years 6 months ago by Terra.

More
3 years 6 months ago #215205 by Terra
Replied by Terra on topic Rear hub seals
Yeah I cut my last, but I also got Loctite now.

More
3 years 6 months ago #215208 by cobbadog
Replied by cobbadog on topic Rear hub seals
Hopefully you have it sorted now. When I find an oil leak from a seal I take it apart, clean it up, fit a speedi-sleeve for a new seal to run on and when at the bearing shop I ask if there is a double lip seal to replace the original. I once found I could fit 2 seals on a half shaft. One ran on the axle but closer to the diff and the 2nd ran on the speedi-sleeve.

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Terra

More
3 years 6 months ago - 3 years 6 months ago #215210 by Terra
I just realised looking at the exploded view that the first locking nut and the second locking nut on my truck are identical and that the outter nut doesn't not have an oil seal as shown in this parts view....

So I have twice Locking Nut Part No 10, and no nut bearing seal Part No 12/14...
Attachments:
Last edit: 3 years 6 months ago by Terra.

More
3 years 6 months ago - 3 years 6 months ago #215211 by Lang
Replied by Lang on topic Rear hub seals
That looks like a tapered axle not a full floating axle like yours. Different system.

Lang
Attachments:
Last edit: 3 years 6 months ago by Lang.
The following user(s) said Thank You: IHScout, Terra

More
3 years 6 months ago #215212 by Terra
this is the set up in my CM1200
Attachments:

More
3 years 6 months ago #215213 by Lang
Replied by Lang on topic Rear hub seals
Looks like just the one seal and as John says the bearing are open to diff oil which is going to leak out the flange if not perfect.

I think you just need to clean up the flange, reseal and soldier on.

lang
The following user(s) said Thank You: Terra

More
3 years 6 months ago #215219 by asw120
Replied by asw120 on topic Rear hub seals
The version shown in the book is the early type (not sure when they changed, or if it was a later mod). The seal shown seals on the inner face of the axle flange. Except often they don't seal. My Inter has this problem currently.
I read that the fix is to run the diff with a little more oil via a pipe elbow screwed into the filler hole and delete that seal. Diff oil then deliberately runs into the wheel bearings.

Jarrod.

“I offer my opponents a bargain: if they will stop telling lies about us, I will stop telling the truth about them”

― Adlai E. Stevenson II
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, Terra

More
3 years 6 months ago #215220 by JOHN.K.
Replied by JOHN.K. on topic Rear hub seals
You can go by IH parts book illustrations ...they just cribbed them from earlier versions,which may not correspond.............As I mentioned before the ASW120 rear is proper small IHC axle ,the C 1200 is a Dana Spicer......and if it leaks between the flange and the hub at the bolt face ,they you have problems ,because the boltholes will elongate and need a new axle ,or the whole lot reworked for bigger studs.......did your axle originally have split cones which are missing......split cones must be replaced .

Time to create page: 0.533 seconds