Skip to main content

NP435 variations?

More
9 years 7 months ago #148130 by Dave_64
Replied by Dave_64 on topic Re: NP435 variations?
Hi Spinnerboy,

Thanks for the added info, I know it is a bit of a longshot, but do any of the boxes have any tags on them ?
If they haven't fallen off or been removed, should have something like "NP435 and then a letter), could be either 'A' or 'D', 'E' or 'L'. As far as I know, that is the only way to identify positively what they came from behind, although you already know that one is Dodge, one Inter. And again as far as I know, they are NOT interchangeable. Different letters also signify differing ratios, depending what you read or whom you listen to. If no tags, they can also SOMETIMES be identified from the casting numbers on the opposite side to the PTO plate. I have two Ford NP435 boxes here, one 68, one 70, one from behind the six cylinder the other I Believe from behind a V8, no tags, same casting letters on the side EXCEPT one has last letter P, the other last letter S. Tells me absolutely nothing, may simply have been manufactured in different plants! If I keep asking enough questions, law of averages says I must come across more info.

Cheers, Dave

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
9 years 7 months ago #148131 by kw573
Replied by kw573 on topic Re: NP435 variations?
Hi boys,

I haven't seen mention of the NP435 used in the J20 Jeeps of the 1980s.
I swapped one out years ago as part of a diesel/auto mod.
The box is still sitting here taking up space. They have a very long input shaft, apparently exclusive to Jeep. Going cheap.
S.E. Qld.
Have a nice day.
Sam.

WW2 Jeep (Daily Driver)
Diamond T 969 (Under restoration)
Kenworth 573 (Yard truck)
WW2 Water trailer
WW2 Blitz 3 ton GS dog trailer

More
9 years 7 months ago #148132 by spinnerboy
Replied by spinnerboy on topic Re: NP435 variations?
Dave, the tags on boxes are as follows:
The unknown one is build date 21/03/1966, 435 DL 10
The Dodge one is from D5N 400 with 318 V8, build date 12/12/1972 435 DL 44.
The Inter one is from D1510 with 345 V8, build date 23/10/1977, 435 HL 13
It would be interesting to know what those codes indicate.

More
9 years 7 months ago #148133 by Dave_64
Replied by Dave_64 on topic Re: NP435 variations?
Hi Spinnerboy,
Thanks for taking the time to check those tags and also posting same.
This would only be a stab at best, but NP435 is obviously New Process (Chryslers own gear division, now New Venture) 4 I believe stands for 4-4speed, 35 is 350 ft-lbs torque.
"D" and "H" would probably designate Dodge and Harvester respectively, the "L" is NP's ratio designation, (see Wilwelds post), as to the last two digits,10,44,13 after the "L", could be anybody's guess.

They made hundreds of thousands of these boxes over the years, every light truck producer used them, also lots of farm and machinery makers, even seen one in a mechanised street sweeper. I might try one of the overseas Mopar sites, just out of curiosity.

Cheers, Dave

More
5 years 4 months ago #197472 by Hemi74
Replied by Hemi74 on topic Re: NP435 variations?
Hah I just pulled the side covers off my 1986 4 ton ditch witch and guess what box is in it!!!! Np 435 , and has a bell housing that joins up with a 4 cylinder 4108 perkulator :woohoo: the poor old box is just about due for a rebuild

More
5 years 4 months ago #197473 by JOHN.K.
Replied by JOHN.K. on topic Re: NP435 variations?
With an application with low input torque,like a 4/108......you can cut and shut the front shaft,which is where the difference is.....Ive done quite a few boxes like that for industrial use...........Incidentally,the old Warner T9 crash box from the Ford Blits was used in alot of industrial applications.up to the 80s...........All these boxes,if you grind off the hard outer case from the shafts ,they machine easily,and can easily have keyways cut......hydrostatic drives killed them off about 25 years ago.

Time to create page: 0.449 seconds