Skip to main content

Fill's Bedford

More
6 years 8 months ago #184956 by Fill
Replied by Fill on topic Fill's Bedford
Hi all
As I said I would take a photo of the parts cleaned and the price The plater is a nice bloke to deal with. I did go to another place to get a quote. The other place was a bit cheaper but I did not feel comfortable with them. This is the company I am dealing with- they are in Bayswater Vic. He even gave me a calendar. ( this time the girls have legs )
Cheers Fill
[img
100_2964 by fill quinn , on Flickr
The price is $ 250.00 if left dirty and $ 175.00 after I cleaned them, he still has to go through the the same process but the acid wash will be a lot faster.
[img
100_2961 by fill quinn , on Flickr
The following user(s) said Thank You: tim

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
6 years 8 months ago #185132 by Fill
Hi all
My box of brake bits came back last week and I have been keeping myself busy. trying to not open the Pandora's Box . This week I opened it, all seemed good, I cut out Four seating gaskets for the third time.
[img
100_2965 by fill quinn , on Flickr
When I started putting the Linings on, I found that the original brake man had left out two washers, put two bolts in the wrong holes, and put the leaf springs in the wrong positions. I had my manual out, my glasses on, magnified glass, and my verniers. trying to see the small diagrams. After working it all out checking, and re cheeking,I got the back braking system ready for the brake drums. ( Ten Hours )
[img
100_2966 by fill quinn , on Flickr
Thanks for reading Cheers Fill
[img
100_2968 by fill quinn , on Flickr
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sarge, IHScout, tim, Dave_64, wouldyou, Mairjimmy

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
6 years 8 months ago #185139 by Swishy
Replied by Swishy on topic Fill's Bedford
Lookn good Fill

[strike]nutn stop n U now[/strike]

Whoops them stoppers should B good to go/stop

Cya
ยง

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

More
6 years 8 months ago #185162 by Mrsmackpaul
Replied by Mrsmackpaul on topic Fill's Bedford
Fill dont feel to bad I know a bald headed fool with glasses that pulled the motor on his D7 apart a few years ago and finially got around to putting it all back together and it tool a fare few goes as extra parts kept on appearing
Actually the same bald headed fool had a similar problem with a the ass end of his Inter tractor after only been apart for a month or two

OOPS :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

More
6 years 8 months ago #185165 by Southbound
Replied by Southbound on topic Fill's Bedford
Great story and pix thanks Fill. Keep up the good work.

I'd rather have tools that I don't need, than not have the tools I do need.

More
6 years 7 months ago #185558 by Fill
Hi all
Thanks for all the comments.I have fitted all my brake components except the brake drums. I did all the compression fitting up that I put double flared ends on. I striped one nut to a rubber brake hose that had a male steel thread on it. I did not have room to cut the flare off and re do it because the flare had to go on a straight line and then put the nut on and then make the bend. So I went down and got some new line, they did not have any compression nuts. So I went to Enzed they would not sell me the nuts because they said brass is never to be used on brake fittings and all the brass fittings are manly used for gas, also the angle on brake flares are 45 degrees and brass fittings are 60 degrees I then went to Pirtek and he said that was right, they had a look at the break line that I had. They had never seen that line before it was a lot harder than theirs. With all the other compression joints, they started leaking .The brake fluid that was coming out was only the fluid that was in the lines all ready. I have not pressured it because I have not got the drums on. Pirtek said if I used the softer line it would properly be ok but not 100 percent he said I should change every thing over to steel joints. When I originally did the compression joints and pressurised them I had no leaks. He said because I have undone the nuts they are seated into a new place. I think all the original fittings on the truck have always been brass. Has any anyone had this problem before, I am a bit lost on this one.
I am putting up a few photos of the brass fittings that I believe to be original. Looking forward to your comments.
Cheers Fill
[img
100_2980 by fill quinn , on Flickr
[img
100_2979 by fill quinn , on Flickr
[img
100_2976 by fill quinn , on Flickr

More
6 years 7 months ago #185560 by Mrsmackpaul
Replied by Mrsmackpaul on topic Fill's Bedford
Fill I have never heard of anything about you cant use brass fittings on brake lines
I have always been told not to use copper tube as it will work harden as it vibrates
It wont make any difference if the fittings meet at different angles as in 45 and 60 as the will still seal up perfectly and this type of thing works fine on hydraulic fittings with many thousands of pounds of pressure
Hydraulic places like Enzed arent allowed to do brake lines and generally shy away from any advice at all
Brake lines are a licensed trade and only a few places in each state have a license to make up the rubber lines or at least this is what I have been lead to believe
So maybe find out which businesses in your state have the appropriate license and contact them with what you need

Before everyone jumps on me and tells me Im wrong (which I most likely am) almost all places that sell and or specialize in brake repairs have a large selection of ready made hoses on hand to suit any application and any specials they will send away for to get made up to suit
All brake places will make up steel lines fine but not the rubber lines

And yes I understand Fills problem is with a steel line but am thinking that maybe a more specialized place that only makes up specialized brake lines may help with his fitting problems

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
6 years 7 months ago #185561 by Swishy
Replied by Swishy on topic Fill's Bedford
Fill
Gudday M8

Hang in there Buddy ............ We R all with U
One of the advertisers in the truck club book is ABS Ringwood ... may B go C them
the old days brake lines were copper with brass nuts
copper is softer than brass n more malerable to form the correct seat to fitting with a brass nut
now steel lines R used n iz much harder than the brass nut so may B U need the steel nut to make the fitting seal
also there is a Bedford joker in Bayswater eye'm sure U kno
if all else fails I have a lot of old hyd brake fittings U could rumage thru

TheEndIzNear

cya

ยง

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

More
6 years 7 months ago #185564 by Claire
Replied by Claire on topic Fill's Bedford
Hi fill,
I'm at the exact same stage with our K2' but I was planning just to wire wool the copper pipes and brass fittings before simply reassembling.
I've been told that I should renew the whole system with stainless, but I don't have a flaring kit or experience of using one and I'm trying to rebuild the truck as origonal as possible.
I will also be interested to find out if we're doing the wrong thing and welcome any feedback.

More
6 years 7 months ago #185565 by Blackduck59
Replied by Blackduck59 on topic Fill's Bedford
Don't know about the rest of Oz but my local clutch and brake shop (Rockingham WA) has the gear to make rubber and steel lines.
Have not stumped him yet. Needed a new rear rubber brake hose for a old Dodge Ambulance, took all of 10 minutes have a new hose.
Cheers Steve

Time to create page: 0.627 seconds