Skip to main content

58 Viking build

More
8 years 2 months ago - 8 years 2 months ago #167087 by 58 Viking
58 Viking build was created by 58 Viking

Hello,
I enjoy the forum and reading/learning about other truck builds.

Started the build on a 1958 Chevy Viking 4400, it is a 1.5 tonne truck with 6 ton GVM.

Had some body work and rust completed and now to get onto the good stuff!
Fitting a Cummins 6BT and 5 speed from a 1996 3500 Dodge ram and dana 80 from ford f350.

About to see engineer and he has requested verification of registration or proof it was assembled here as RHD.
It has the general motors holden chassis tag and body identification plate to say that it was Aussie assembled, but i have tried all states and cannot verify previous rego, the numbers on the chassis tag have extra numbers (Chev D 156) which i have researched to find means Heavy Duty and 156 stands for wheelbase. If anyone has one of these old trucks and could tell me in what format the number was recorded on their rego (i.e. amount of numbers /letters) it would help greatly in my search for rego verification :)

I will post pics of progress, hope they are of some interest
Attachments:
Last edit: 8 years 2 months ago by hayseed. Reason: inserted Pics..

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
8 years 2 months ago - 8 years 2 months ago #167089 by defective
Replied by defective on topic 58 Viking build
G'Gay 58 Viking .. If you have the original engine, don't turf it just yet. The Association of Motoring Clubs (AOMC) have in their possession the Australian Engine Number Records (AENR) for study and perusal to enable Authorities to verify a vehicles' registration history and to track what happened to the original engine over time....This is the system that operated in Victoria...but not too sure about the other states.

...The engine number is noted against the vehicle's first registration, so these days, from there a registration search can be usually be conducted (at least that is the case in Victoria)...otherwise the engine may be noted in the next vehicle it ended up in, with that vehicles' registration number noted. All this tracking by the Authorities depends on the fact that the engine was reported as being changed....something us Aussies are not real good at, but you may be lucky and still have the original engine fitted, and these paper records should be enough to satisfy your Engineer
Last edit: 8 years 2 months ago by defective.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 58 Viking

More
8 years 2 months ago #167118 by LN700
Replied by LN700 on topic 58 Viking build
Hi 58 Viking.
This 58 model does the vintage trucks shows around S/E Queensland,maybe one of the Brisbane boys
can supply a name that might be able to help with your rego inquiries.

LN700. B) :cheer:

More
8 years 2 months ago #167119 by oldgmc
Replied by oldgmc on topic 58 Viking build
On my 52 GMC the engine number is on an ID plate in the LH door opening don't Know about latter models

Old trucks will make you poor but not unhappy

More
8 years 1 month ago #167241 by 58 Viking
Replied by 58 Viking on topic 58 Viking build
Hello

Thank you for the feedback,
Id plate on the 58 is also inside the LH door.
Unfortunately the engine had already been removed from the truck when i purchased it, i contacted previous owner to the fella i bought truck from but unfortunately he had no papers or info for it.
Engineer has recommended that i contact RMS of roads and traffic to gain clarity?
Seeing engineer next week and researching possible steering box upgrades, looking forward to swinging some spanners on her soon.
A contact for that 58 in brisbane would be great

Cheers

More
3 years 6 months ago #215352 by Gareth1980
Replied by Gareth1980 on topic 58 Viking build
Hey, just checking in on this project. I am looking for a viking currently myself

More
3 years 6 months ago - 3 years 6 months ago #215358 by Gryphon
Replied by Gryphon on topic 58 Viking build
Hi,

58 Viking hasn't logged in since the day he made his last post over four years ago so set your expectations for an update pretty low. :)

Terry
Last edit: 3 years 6 months ago by Gryphon.

Time to create page: 0.485 seconds