Skip to main content

Austin K2 Restoration...Pictures Needed

More
8 years 2 days ago - 8 years 2 days ago #168565 by Claire
Just purchased an Austin K2 for restoration. (1949)
We will probably need heaps of things over time, but to start with, the passenger side headlight glass is missing. It measures approximately 8" diameter.

Attachments:
Last edit: 8 years 2 days ago by hayseed. Reason: inserted Pics..

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
8 years 2 days ago #168569 by mammoth
British truck manufacturers generally stayed with the same electrical component supplier for all their models. Often Lucas for lighter stuff and CAV for heavy duty makes like AEC and Leyland. Other makes were Simms and Butler.

So look for make and part number on the light and that is what you need to search for.

More
8 years 2 days ago #168580 by Claire
Would anyone who happens to have an Austin K2, be able to take a few pictures for me!
Our seating mounts look like they may have been modified, so a picture of how they should be on the original would be good.
Also, does anyone know how the bonnet panels are meant to stay open?
Are they meant to fold right over onto the opposite side? Which looks like it would cause damage! Or are we missing an important part which holds them in the open position?

More
7 years 11 months ago #168663 by bel
If you would like to send your phone number to 0427506552 I can send you some photos that you need
There are no brackets for holding bonnets open but I find it much better to remove side panels first otherwise they are very heavy on centre hinge
Bel

More
7 years 11 months ago #168711 by Snaws2
Flick me a email sonofwally@gmail.com I have a few of the seat mounts

Ross

1952 Austin Loadstar&&&&Outside of a dog

More
7 years 11 months ago #168753 by noel
Hi guys im down here in geelong and just going tru one of the local I found this .Austin 1948 motor runs well, new tray. Looks to be complete from the photo, the phone number is 0408 520 188 . He is asking $7,500 hope this helps cheers

More
7 years 10 months ago #170586 by Claire
Hi,
Can anyone help with some research guidance?
I have been searching the web and can't find much information about when and how many 2 ton Austin K2 were shipped to or built in Australia.
I know that Austin was taken over by Bedford and then Leyland in the early 50's, but not much about when they started production.
Any help would be appreciated.
Cheers Claire
The following user(s) said Thank You: charlie chapman

More
7 years 10 months ago #170587 by Claire
Replied by Claire on topic Paint colours
Me again,

Can any help me identify the current colour code for a 1948 Austin K2 with a paint colour code of MCG?

Thanks,
Claire

More
7 years 10 months ago #170590 by hayseed
Replied by hayseed on topic Paint colours
Claire, I've just combined all your posts/Threads into one Thread in the Restoration section for you..
So you have one point of reference & a continual picture/Story of you Restoration..

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -

More
7 years 10 months ago - 7 years 10 months ago #170594 by mammoth
Replied by mammoth on topic Paint colours
Claire, Austin had nothing to do with Bedford. Austin at one time was an upmarket marque and they ventured into light trucks. The K2 is a pre war design, which will be familiar if you have seen the film 'Ice cold in Alex' which stars a K4 ambulance. Morris and Austin were working together during the 50's with lots of cross-over design and formalised this arrangement under the BMC banner. The K2 morphed into the Loadstar in the mid 50's and then other models in the 60's and it's heritage was still evident in the early 70's. BMC was taken over by the Leyland group in the late 60's to become BLMC. The engines are essentialy the larger car engines of the day. There is an Aussie magazine called the 'BMC Experience" which sometimes features trucks but will give give you leads on contacts for pommy vehicles and where the various marque archives are located.
I think yours would have been imported fully assembled as it wasn't until later that a factory was established in Sydney, initially to assemble kits and as time went on to include more and more Aussie content.
Last edit: 7 years 10 months ago by mammoth.

Time to create page: 0.548 seconds