Skip to main content

Austin K2 Restoration...Pictures Needed

More
7 years 10 months ago #170618 by VicHung
Replied by VicHung on topic Paint colours
The K model Austins were often referred to as Birmingham Bedfords because they were very similar in looks to the O model Bedfords of the same period. In spite of the similarity, there was no connection at all between the two companies; Bedford was owned by General Motors, Austin at that time was a completely separate British company which later joined up with Morris and later still with Leyland.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Claire

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
7 years 10 months ago #170626 by Claire
Replied by Claire on topic Paint colours
Sorry guys, I meant Morris, but we went for a drive the other day to Vic and saw a few variations on route, so Bedford was just stuck in my head at the time of writing :-(
I'm deep in to my strip down now and I'm having trouble removing the rear cylinders.
The rear shoes are also unevenly worn and down to the rivets on one end, so I now need to source 2 new sets...any suggestions of where I can find some??
Would the braking system from a 1940's Morris be the same?
Cheers

More
7 years 10 months ago #170629 by mammoth
Replied by mammoth on topic Paint colours
For the cylinders contact Power Braking Systems in Sth Aus who will re-sleeve the cylinders in stainless and supply the rubbers. Some of the old surplus parts suppliers in Vic are a likely source for the linings/shoes. Sometimes truck cylinders were fixed on by a method that is not apparent, even under close scrutiny, so getting a manual which describes disassembley is critical.
At this time Morris and Austin were totally different companies. To the casual observer the parts may look the same, but that is because they probably both sourced parts from the same town in England. Think of going to china town to find a restaurant - the same but actually different when you look closer. Birmingham and the black country around it was where auto parts manufacturers were concentrated. If the brakes are Lockheed (and not Austin's own) they will be common to some other trucks of the era.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Claire

More
7 years 9 months ago #171771 by Claire
More help needed I'm afraid

I Sent the engine to be refurbished, as it hasn't run for a few years and I didn't want to do the complete rebuild with a suspect engine.

Unfortunately I found out today that my head has a 12" crack across the 1st 3 cylinders

Does anyone have a spare head for an a Austin 6 cylinder 3.5ltr ?

Or, would a 4ltr from a 1960 Loadstar WE fit in to my 1948 3.5ltr K2?

Any help appreciated

More
7 years 9 months ago #172055 by Bluey60
Hi Claire
I have a complete 3.5l motor condition unknown it's yours if you can get it from
SE Qld Got it when helping an old neighbour cleaning up when he sold his farm
My Loadstar has been up graded to 4l and I have a couple of them for spares

Bluey

More
7 years 9 months ago #172066 by Claire
Thanks Bluey, much appreciated and very interested. Can you PM me an email address and we can correspond that way?

More
7 years 8 months ago #173011 by Bluey60
Claire
have replied to your PM if you can't access it let me know and will try again

The motor is still on a piece of chassis and is complete radiator to bellhousing
out of a thee ton loadstar don't know any more of it's history an old bloke next
door gave it to me when I helped him clean up when he put his place on the market
he told me they had it running one day but that could have been a while ago

Regards Bluey

More
7 years 7 months ago #174300 by Claire
Hi again guys,
Rebuild now in progress but I'm struggling to find a replacement swivel axel plug, part number 2K6147.
One of ours was punctured through and in the process of trying to remove it to repair, it disintegrated due to the aluminium corrosion
Would anyone have an idea of any other plugs that would do the job please?
Cheers
Claire & Bob

More
7 years 7 months ago - 7 years 7 months ago #174306 by mammoth
Claire, the brains trust need a picture to process the problem. It is a long shot but someone just might have that plug on their shelf. Thing is, it is more than probable that they haven't catalogued grandfathers[strike] junk pile[/strike] spare parts inventory so a visual match is required.
Last edit: 7 years 7 months ago by mammoth.

More
7 years 7 months ago - 7 years 7 months ago #174307 by Claire

Thanks Mammoth,
I though someone might ask for a picture when I posted it, but it was raining at the time and I didn't fancy the walk to the shed :)
Hopefully I have managed to attach a picture now, but please excuse it being upside down, it was the easiest way to hold and photograph the other side, as its currently on the shelf.
Its the ply with the hexagonal recess that I'm looking for, or something similar and its made from aluminium, about 1 1/4" (32.5mm)diameter.
Cheers
Attachments:
Last edit: 7 years 7 months ago by IHScout. Reason: Photo inserted

Time to create page: 0.527 seconds