Skip to main content

What timber to use on a 1927 chev truck cab and tray

More
7 years 10 months ago #170589 by cranky crank
Hi,
I am about to start building the wood cab and tray on my 1927 chev truck.It is a full wood cab with no metal panels and a wood tray.I have found the style of cab I want to build with all the dimensions copied from a restored truck but I am unsure what timber to use.
My selection found at the building supplies shop is kiln dried ash or pine.The pine is the good pine/non treated stuff and about half the cost but I am still favoring the kda.
Not to sure about plywood for some of the cab parts as I intend to round the edges and shape them and the ply grain will be obvious on the edges,and not to sure how it would stand up to a router when cutting the slots in for the glass and then holding the outer beading that holds the glass in place.

What timber have you used ,its strength,ease of fabrication and long term durability?.
Anyone got some pictures on what they have done and used on their vintage trucks?

Cheers
Cranky crank

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
7 years 10 months ago - 7 years 10 months ago #170592 by wouldyou

Hello Cranky crank,
My cab was copied from one in our local museum, made in Northam WA, I used 25 mil marine ply and made the sides in two pieces as on the original, as it is painted none of plies show.
The body frame is local jarrah with the floor commercial decking, probably meranti.
David.
Attachments:
Last edit: 7 years 10 months ago by wouldyou.

More
7 years 10 months ago #170603 by Morris
I am told that any kiln dried hardwood is the way to go. Ash is preferred by many.

Plywood was not used in the day but VERY wide ((by today's standards) boards were available. They did not appear to warp, maybe they were kiln dried or had been well aged before cutting.

I have my shoulder to the wheel,
my nose to the grindstone,
I've put my best foot forward,
I've put my back into it,
I'm gritting my teeth,

Now I find I can't do any work in this position!

More
7 years 10 months ago - 7 years 9 months ago #170605 by Desotodav
My mate Keith restored his 29 truck years ago but I;m not sure what timber he used. Sold it a few years back to move onto his next project. Was a great looking truck back then...

Attachments:
Last edit: 7 years 9 months ago by Sarge.

More
7 years 9 months ago #170846 by wombat 46
I think this is a real good question,
i would not skimp on the timber.
The first step would be if it is going to be painted or stained and laquered?
Then look for some Aussie made timber where you have some prior tech advise and warrantee

Most off the shelf timbers are imported and the seller has no clue what the species or glue used in the plys
Keep us posted what you find out.

Jim

More
7 years 9 months ago - 7 years 9 months ago #170850 by Lang
We built the body on a 1915 Willys Overland completely out of ply (all modern quality ply meets the waterproof glue specs of the old marine ply so you can be pretty sure it will do the job).

We took her 6,000km around QLD on lots of dirt roads in all sorts of weather and had no cracking of the acrylic paint and certainly no edge grain splitting. Wood is great stuff to work with and if you use the good glues, backed up by screws in strategic spots, you will have no problems.

Lang

Attachments:
Last edit: 7 years 9 months ago by Lang.

More
7 years 9 months ago - 7 years 9 months ago #170855 by cranky crank
Hi,
I have had a look at a few chev truck restorations and have decided on using the kiln dried ash as the wood has more of an authentic look than using flat slabs of ply.
I have measured a few trucks and have started making the tray.
Last edit: 7 years 9 months ago by cranky crank. Reason: spelling

• Neil Skulander
2 years 9 months ago #222748 by Neil Skulander
The 1929 Chevrolet Truck that's pictured ( S11951 ) restoration was initially started by Ken Franks up here in Sydney . I built the cab & tray to fit through his garage door . Tasmanian Oak is used throughout. I have a couple of before & during photos if he's interested. Cheers. Neil.

More
2 years 8 months ago #222926 by cobbadog
We are always interested in seeing pics of restorations and repairs.

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.

More
2 years 8 months ago #222934 by Morris
Neil Put the pics up here please, we are always interested in before, during and after.
Your name sounds familiar, were you on the 10th Anniversary run of the VVCCA to Mudgee back in 1978? I was in the dark blue 1929 Ute from Melbourne.

I have my shoulder to the wheel,
my nose to the grindstone,
I've put my best foot forward,
I've put my back into it,
I'm gritting my teeth,

Now I find I can't do any work in this position!

Time to create page: 0.511 seconds