Skip to main content

Bedford ML

More
7 years 2 months ago - 7 years 2 months ago #178679 by Spudda
Bedford ML was created by Spudda
Hi all, I hope this is the right section to post this in.
First I'm new so G'Day to you all,
I have just inherited an Old (ML) truck which I had originally decided to restore (still not convinced it's worth spending the cash on).
I have only located two I'd plates both of which give no clue as to the date of manufacture. The truck is in amazing condition with as far as I'm aware original motor. It started first go and I drove it from Grandfathers to our block and around a few times over Christmas. I'm not sure what Department of transport in wa would require for registration.

Is this worth putting money into I has some grand ideas of restoring it to an original delivery style truck but I could daily drive it and not sure it's worth just sitting in my shed. I already have a 4WD that sits and gathers dust.
So any ideas out there, what would a restore roughly cost, I'm handy with electrics so I would do all electrical wiring. I have a panel beater who will do all body work.

What would it be worth in its current condition, I've seen plenty for sale in worse condition for $10k plus.

Cheers
Spudda

Attachments:
Last edit: 7 years 2 months ago by hayseed. Reason: inserted Pics

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
7 years 2 months ago #178682 by Zuffen
Replied by Zuffen on topic Bedford ML
Welcome on board.

If it were me I'd get it road legal and safe and leave it as is.

The condition is quite remarkable and I think it would be best unmolested.

No idea on value but probably has a much higher sentimental value to you.

More
7 years 2 months ago #178687 by hayseed
Replied by hayseed on topic Bedford ML
Spudda, I'll second everything Zuffen said..

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -

More
7 years 2 months ago #178688 by Morris
Replied by Morris on topic Bedford ML
G'day Spudda,
Welcome to the forum.

Ditto what Zuffen and Hayseed wrote. Whatever it is worth, it will be worth more if you leave it original than if you restore it or modify it at all. There is no need to do anything other than get it legal and drive it. You do have to live within its limitations. It will not do 100k's an hour, spin the wheels or stop "on a dime."

Drive it as it was built to be driven and you will get heaps of pleasure from it.

No doubt forum members from your State will respond and give you information regarding registration options.

I have my shoulder to the wheel,
my nose to the grindstone,
I've put my best foot forward,
I've put my back into it,
I'm gritting my teeth,

Now I find I can't do any work in this position!

More
7 years 2 months ago #178689 by wouldyou
Replied by wouldyou on topic Bedford ML
Hello Spudda,
Have a look at Claire's post Austin K2 a similar truck to your Bedford.
If you do all of the work yourself the cost of parts needed is never recovered with an increase in value.
Look up Transport WA for licence fee, our Guy with a farm concession is $432.
It looks good as it is, there will be a cost in getting it roadworthy, as mentioned above that is the cheapest option.
David.

More
7 years 2 months ago #178697 by mammoth
Replied by mammoth on topic Bedford ML
Please please, do not molest it - a "restoration" will destroy it's patina and history and it will be worth less. The traditional polish for old machines with enamel paint is a rag soaked with hydraulic oil. Feeds the paint and gives a nice flat shine.
These Bedfords come up with some common issues;
- one is the brake rubbers perish which can be resolved with new rubbers or if the cylinders are too rusted have stainless sleeves fitted.
The other issue is the fuel pump stops working and lots of people substitute an electric fuel pump for reliability.

The cab on yours was made by Holden, the tray probably local and the rest is made in England.
WA does have a historic vehicle scheme (quite different to any other state) so join a club to get the right info on how to go about getting historic rego for the occasional outing.

More
7 years 2 months ago #178699 by asw120
Replied by asw120 on topic Bedford ML
The colour comes up under GMH 1954, so there is a possible build date.
I think 253 was nitrocellulose laquer (Duco).
15775 crosses to 05775 Forrester (Foliage) Green.

Jarrod.

“I offer my opponents a bargain: if they will stop telling lies about us, I will stop telling the truth about them”

― Adlai E. Stevenson II

More
7 years 2 months ago #178700 by scratcha
Replied by scratcha on topic Bedford ML
the're only original once, and that ones a ripper. enjoy!

1418 Benz now really impressing the bride :-)

More
7 years 2 months ago #178701 by IHScout
Replied by IHScout on topic Bedford ML
Hi Spudda,
I agree with all said so far. A restoration will cost you north of $20k even with mates rates on all the work and doing some yourself, and as the others say it will be worth less to most people than when you started. On the other hand, if you get it roadworthy and registered and start driving it about and going to events you will be amazed by the number of people who want to stop and talk to you about your amazingly original truck.

Dennis

More
7 years 2 months ago #178708 by Spudda
Replied by Spudda on topic Bedford ML
Thanks all for the feedback.
By restoration I was thinking more about knocking out a few dents and a polish at worst a re-spray but that would be at worst.
Fixing things like adding tail lights, fixing headlights etc to get it licenced. I wasn't thinking of doing anything extreme to change it in any way.

As to the sentimental value it doesn't have much, it was going to be parked on the front block and sold for whomever decided to stop and drop cash so that's the main reason I grabbed it. I was thinking it would make an awesome show truck, we had wedding photos on it and have had plenty of people asking for similar.

Time to create page: 0.524 seconds