Skip to main content

Bedford ML

More
7 years 3 months ago #178710 by mammoth
Replied by mammoth on topic Bedford ML
A respray is what would destroy the value :ohmy: . Likewise leave the little dings alone. Only do touch ups if there is bare metal showing, and even then you could just spray a bit of phosphoric acid which prevents further rusting.
Rear lights - originals would have been quite small, with only one brake light . Nowadays indicators are required to be safe. LED's are good but they stand out like dogs balls as non original so try to get some that are a bit conservative. You will also need some marker lights on the side, the rubber ones are still available.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
7 years 3 months ago #178725 by 600Dodge
Replied by 600Dodge on topic Bedford ML
Jeez does that bring back some memories, there is one of them in my uncles shed that I used to play in when I was a little tacker, same colour, same wheel base, even the same black guards, its never moved in my lifetime and he has since passed away and I'm sure his useless offspring wouldn't have touched it. I remember my dad telling me he bought it and only used it a couple of times before realising it was too slow(he carried hay I think) and he bought a AT4 300 Dodge with a 313 in it and just Parked the Bedford in his shed. Anyway back to the truck in the post, keep it stock, they are only original once and good luck.

More
7 years 3 months ago - 7 years 3 months ago #178731 by Claire
Replied by Claire on topic Bedford ML
Hi spudda,
As wouldyou has already pointed out, a proper restoration will set you back big bucks, trust me !
But if it's anything like ours underneath, the least you will have to do is re sleeve the brake cylinders and reline the shoes, so that you at least know you will arrive safely at your wedding venues.
Don't expect to get change from $2500 if you do all brakes and master cylinder though, it's not cheap and only a few companies in Australia would know what to do with the old British stuff.
I'm building a big new shed for my few trucks soon, so if you can't decide what to do with it in the short term, I'm always willing to have a Bedford sharing our Austin shed for a while, simply because it looks like a cousin to our K2.
Based in Adelaide though.
Good luck with it and call if you need advice or pictures, as I think I have a set of bedford books somewhere.
Last edit: 7 years 3 months ago by Claire.

More
7 years 3 months ago #178733 by Spudda
Replied by Spudda on topic Bedford ML
Does any one have service manuals for a ML Bedford they can share.
I wouldn't mind looking into a few things before I decide which way to go.

More
7 years 2 months ago #178751 by mammoth
Manuals can often be found on ebay. You are looking for a hand book and manual covering 'K, M, O series' Bedford.
Is there anything specific you want to see?

More
7 years 2 months ago #178758 by Mrsmackpaul
Replied by Mrsmackpaul on topic Bedford ML
I know everyone is talking dont respray it and well I guess thats fine and good but it looks to me like it has been painted with a brush and that green doesnt appear to be the original colour either as it looks like brush marks on the tags and and green paint looks to be different on the tags compared to the body

Either way not a bad old jigger I reckon

If it was mine I wouldnt paint it because not for any of the reasons stated but because I cant paint to save my self LOL
And I would just get it going a lot of the time wheel cylinders etc can just be honed and got going with some new seals I would replace the rubber parts on the brake lines and fix some lights

Just enough to get some club reg and have some fun and then if you do decide to sell it it will be much easier to sell when people can test drive it

main thing is its your s and ro what ever makes you happy

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

More
7 years 2 months ago #178824 by Spudda
Replied by Spudda on topic Bedford ML
Anyone able to help work out a year for this truck. I was told 1948 but can't find any dates on truck itself. I has been repainted, grandad assures me that it was done with the correct green?
But I'm more interested in what year it is?

Spudda

More
7 years 2 months ago #178841 by mammoth
Bedford didn't use chassis numbers with a year in them and anyway there would be a time lag between chassis completion at Luton in England and when Holden finished them. If you have been following Dave64's id quest of his Commer bantam you will see that there is a date on the glass, if you know the code (dam, must remember to print it off).
If you need parts ACW in Victoria offer a comprehensive service but only via their web site.

More
7 years 2 months ago #178901 by Pierre
Replied by Pierre on topic Bedford ML
Spudda, I've been tossing up full resto versus just roadworthy & tidy up as well on my K Model.
After reading Mammoth's response to your post regarding the use of hydraulic oil on the enamel paint I went outside & gave it a go on one side of the vehicle yesterday.
See pictures attached. I'm impressed, so much so I might just go down this path & save a few bucks & bunch of labor.

s859.photobucket.com/user/purpjd/media/H...rvation%201.jpg.html

s859.photobucket.com/user/purpjd/media/H...rvation%203.jpg.html

cheers
Pierre

Pierre

More
7 years 2 months ago #178902 by Pierre
Replied by Pierre on topic Bedford ML
Oops, try this been a while!

[IMG

[IMG