Skip to main content

Leyland o600 engine

More
6 years 11 months ago #182089 by mr.hall
Leyland o600 engine was created by mr.hall
Hi. I am currently restoring a Leyland double decker with a o600 engine which I have taken out and stripped down.
It had water in the oil which I was hoping was condensation, or at worst a head gasket, but when I took the pistons out number 1 liner came out with the piston and had water dripping down the inside of the block. The water jacket was that full of gunk and rust that it's corroded through into no 1 pot. I was thinking about repairing it by carfully welding up the hole then with a die grinder smoothing it off.

Has anyone tried this or have any advice? Or do I need to get another block? If so does anyone know of any for sale anywhere? I don't care what condition it's in as long as the block is good (or better than mine).

Thanks for any advice

Lee - Perth
Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
6 years 11 months ago #182090 by Mrsmackpaul
Replied by Mrsmackpaul on topic Leyland o600 engine
can you just get another sleeve or am I missing something ????

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

More
6 years 11 months ago - 6 years 11 months ago #182093 by dieseldog
Replied by dieseldog on topic Leyland o600 engine
I'd suggest replacing all of the liners. If one has worm holes, there's a good chance others will to. If you did try to fill the holes with weld, you run the risk of distorting the liner, having a piece of liner crack out at the weld and smash everything and you'd need to fill both sides of the hole otherwise cavitation will continue to eat out what you just filled in.

Edit: I just realized that it is a dry sleeve engine. It is probably best to look for a another block. Otherwise, I know of a guy who rebuilds Komatsu engines that lose a wrist pin and smash the cylinder. He has the complete cylinder machined out of the block and a new parent bore pressed in and then rebuilds the engine like normal. Perhaps you could find someone willing to do the same. You don't have much to lose trying it.
Last edit: 6 years 11 months ago by dieseldog.

More
6 years 11 months ago - 6 years 11 months ago #182099 by JOHN.K.
Replied by JOHN.K. on topic Leyland o600 engine
Your block is scrap.Junk it.600s arent rare,just old.Your best bet ,assuming you cant find one ,would be a later underfloor (horizontal) motor to which you can add your vertical bits.All the marvellous machining is ok for a motor worth $25,000,but unless you are an eccentric billionaire,go the secondhand motor route.You might also consider using some other motor,anything you can find cheap,say a 4/71 or 6/71.
Last edit: 6 years 11 months ago by JOHN.K..

More
6 years 11 months ago #182108 by mr.hall
Replied by mr.hall on topic Leyland o600 engine
Thanks for all your replies. can anyone suggest where to start looking for an engine? I was gonna weld it myself just to see if I can do it. Got nothing to loose.

I was planning on doing all 6 liners anyway because they have quite a lip on the top and main/big end bearings, rings, seals and all the gaskets too. And get the heads refurbed then it should be good for years.

More
6 years 11 months ago #182109 by mammoth
Replied by mammoth on topic Leyland o600 engine
When sourcing another engine remember that the O.600 ('O' is the old code for oil fuel) ran up to about 1960 at which time the Power Plus 600 came in. Horsepower went from 125 to 150 and obviously there would have been a few changes to achieve that. Your first port of call is probably UK Diesels at Hornsby (Sydney). The 11 litre motor was more common and should slot straight in. 150hp for the O.680 and 200hp for the power plus. I would need to check a parts book to gauge the common parts between the horizontal and vertical motors.

More
6 years 11 months ago #182112 by ray
Replied by ray on topic Leyland o600 engine
Might be worth giving Mr Motorparts in Sydney a call, they have been pretty good getting parts for me.

More
6 years 11 months ago #182115 by mr.hall
Thanks for that is the 11 ltr the TL 11? don't want too much power cos it might blow up the pre select gearbox. I'll give uk diesels a call and see what they say. if I can find a not too bad o600 engine and rebuild it that would be great.

More
6 years 11 months ago #182116 by mr.hall
I have called mr. motor parts and they have just about everything I need and not too bad prices. I'll put some pics up of the bus so far also so everyone can see how far I am with the resto

More
6 years 11 months ago #182143 by BigAl
Replied by BigAl on topic Leyland o600 engine
O600 is about 9ltrs
O680 is about 11ltrs
then there was an O680 power plus (have heard it called a 690, not sure if that's correct?)
followed by the TL11.

Your bang on the money, don't go pushing the pre selector box or old slung worm diff too hard or they'll become your next "where do I find . . . " topics
The following user(s) said Thank You: mr.hall

Time to create page: 0.487 seconds