Skip to main content

1975 Atkinson restoration

More
6 years 10 months ago - 6 years 9 months ago #182745 by Oilman
I have started this thread from scratch as some of it was mixed in with another restoration I have currently abandoned! I purchased this one from near Port Fairy and drove it home to Geelong without any issues. So far I have spent about 4 hours on the pressure washer and steam cleaner removing layers of grease oil and dirt. This also included removing the radiator and then fixing some brackets and cab reinforcement that had rusted away. Being from close to the ocean, it is probably good that it had a fibreglass cab but there is some rust in the chassis, brackets, aircleaner etc. I took the opportunity to fabricate a new bulbar using all the fixtures from the old one which was beyond repair. The truck was initially owned by Nestle and was fitted with a 6LXB Gardner, a 10 speed overdrive RR and 38000lb 5.83 ratio diffs on an alloy camel back suspension. It was extended later and had a 27' tray fitted. I organised for a mate to remove the tray with his crane. Unfortunately while the truck was sitting in my paddock for this to be done, we had the wettest April in 146 years and after 7" the truck as bogged and we couldn't get the crane in. He sent a 20 tonne loader instead which we managed to bog and it also broke through my driveway crushing my stormwater pipes. However after a few days of fixing all the damage I finally got the truck out and into the shed. You can see from the photo that the chassis is quite rusty around the rear suspension so the plan is to shorten the wheelbase back to original which seems to be 146" and then cut off the damaged part. Luckily other than the chassis extension, the truck is remarkably original.

1975 Atkinson, 180HP 6LXB Gardner, RTO910, 34000lb Rockwell on camelback
Last edit: 6 years 9 months ago by IHScout. Reason: Click inser to make the picture appear in the post

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
6 years 10 months ago - 6 years 10 months ago #182746 by Mrsmackpaul
Does this still have Gardner fitted ???
You are right about the rust in the chassis rails

When you load a photo up you have click attach to get them to go full size if that makes any sense
Once the photo is loaded up it

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging
Last edit: 6 years 10 months ago by Mrsmackpaul.

More
6 years 10 months ago #182748 by JOHN.K.
Replied by JOHN.K. on topic 1975 Atkinson restoration
Might be easier to convert to a single drive using the rear axle and a set of springs and hangers from an Inter or something you can get for scrap price.Dont think youd ever find a Kirkstall with the underslung springs setup.

More
6 years 10 months ago #182751 by Oilman
Replied by Oilman on topic 1975 Atkinson restoration
Yes, it still has the original 6LXB Gardner fitted.

John, I don't quite understand the comment about fitting a single drive - I will be using the original bogie drive and suspension that was fitted from new.

More
6 years 9 months ago #182931 by Oilman
Does anyone happen to have any photos (or a photographic memory and a sketch pad) of the rear light bars on a mid 70's Atkinson, especially the ones that carried the plates shown below. I seem to recall that they didn't even have mudflaps which I will include. Would like to make them in as close to the original style as possible.

Attachments:

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
6 years 9 months ago #182933 by Swishy
Replied by Swishy on topic 1975 Atkinson restoration

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

More
6 years 9 months ago #182937 by Mrsmackpaul
I have just had a ganda thru some official Atkinson photos from back in the day with cabs like the one you have here and it would appear that only one had any mud flaps or light bars on the back
They must have gad something as standard from new but what ?????

Paul

More
6 years 9 months ago #183872 by Oilman
Well I've been getting stuck into disassembly and have removed the rear suspension, all the brackets from the chassis, exhaust, air lines, intake, wiring etc. I have also started to remove all I can from the engine so that I can paint it in the chassis. I did reinstall the sump so I have at least put one part back. Based on the extra (106") that had been added to the chassis, I calculated that the original wheelbase had been 146" which sounds about right given that the only Atkinson spec I could find from the era listed 144". I rolled the bogie forward, and based on the fuel tank location/clearance and the airline junctions etc it looks right. However the tailshaft gap look to be less than I would have expected - based on no experience whatsoever. It is around 500mm which means that when you allow for the uni's it leaves 270mm of 'pipe' length which also included the slip joint. Does this sound like enough? I haven't yet had a chance to talk to a tailshaft builder to see what they say. I haven't cut the chassis or drilled any holes so I can extend it a bit if necessary

Attachments:

More
6 years 9 months ago #183884 by Mrsmackpaul
Oil man looking good
I dunno two tenths of stuff all about whats right or wrong
Maybe just get one whole shaft to replace the two
That is of course there is two shafts

Swishy did a real short tail shaft a few years ago so I reckon he will have a far better idea

Paul

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
6 years 9 months ago #183890 by Swishy
Replied by Swishy on topic 1975 Atkinson restoration
OilMan
Gudday M8

Just ran a tape measure ovr our ol Big 'A'
the tail shaft tube from the rear of the G/Box to the front of the input shaft on front diff of the bogie drive
tube only 180 mm
slip joint 200 mm
Plus unis etc

cya

ยง

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH
The following user(s) said Thank You: Oilman

Time to create page: 1.069 seconds