Skip to main content

1975 Atkinson restoration

More
4 years 11 months ago #200677 by Mrsmackpaul
I had a similar issue on the Mack were the grill screws in
I did almost the same, I used stainless plate and drilled and tapped, followed by stainless bolts

Great job you are doing

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
4 years 11 months ago #200680 by JOHN.K.
Replied by JOHN.K. on topic 1975 Atkinson restoration
When I was at the sandblasters,they got a new stainless bottling machine,and bolted on plywood cover plates to give a shiny and frosted effect....... they .used stainless bolts......the bolts seized and wouldnt come out...........one of the blasters figured if he broke them all off,no one would notice........yeah ,right........they noticed.

More
4 years 10 months ago #200681 by Blackduck59
Stainless on stainless is a dangerous mix. Most times small bolts with light torque applied you are OK.
Any high torque applications and you need a minimum of a good oil or grease lube, preferably an anti seize
Have seen some very expensive repairs from screwing together parts with no lube.
Cheers Steve

More
4 years 10 months ago #200682 by geoffb
Replied by geoffb on topic 1975 Atkinson restoration
Should never use Stainless Bolts on Stainless Nuts with some sort of Lubrication Where I use stainless mainly put cav platede nylocs

More
4 years 10 months ago #200684 by Sarge
Replied by Sarge on topic 1975 Atkinson restoration
now ya tell me, at least I know now why I busted so many bolts, stainless /stainless nylocks, couldnt get some tight before they snapped. Hope I dont have to undo the rest in the future.

Sarge B)
ACCO Owner, Atkinson dreamer.

More
4 years 10 months ago #200686 by Mrsmackpaul
I found out the hard way about doing up stainless bolts and nuts with out lube
I use never seize and it seems to work ok

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

More
4 years 10 months ago #200693 by Bluey60
Replied by Bluey60 on topic 1975 Atkinson restoration
When I started putting stainless pipe down bores with real corrosive water it was suggested I use a different grade stainless coupling to the pipe found it was better to use brass couplings stainless on stainless was a mongrel to seal being so hard the threads won’t bed into one another
The first one I did was stainless couplings and the pipes would seep at the joins when the wind stopped water level at sixty metres took a while when the wind started to fill the pipes so pulled it up and Stagged couplings both ends fixed it don’t know how they will undo next time
Cheers Bluey

More
4 years 10 months ago #200695 by Blackduck59
Bluey60, for that situation I would be using Loctite 357 pipe sealant. It has Teflon lube and seals the threads without having to torque the daylights out of them.

Cheers Steve
The following user(s) said Thank You: Medicated Mick

More
4 years 10 months ago #200698 by Bluey60
Replied by Bluey60 on topic 1975 Atkinson restoration
Blackduck59
Don’t have to worry about it I always said climbing windmills was keeping me fit but then it got to the stage it was hurting too much so I’ve gone back farming full time no money but less aches in the legs
Ended up using brass couplings with graphite grease I always had it used it all the time on gal pipe two wacks with the hammer didn’t matter how long it had been there and they’d undo
Cheers Bluey
The following user(s) said Thank You: Medicated Mick

More
4 years 9 months ago #201337 by ozzyone
Replied by ozzyone on topic 1975 Atkinson restoration
fantastic job iv enjoyed following your work
The following user(s) said Thank You: Oilman

Time to create page: 0.523 seconds