Skip to main content

1975 Atkinson restoration

More
4 years 2 months ago - 4 years 2 months ago #206609 by Oilman
Replied by Oilman on topic 1975 Atkinson restoration

Rattail 1927 wrote: WOW I cant believe what a difference it has made , and shiny, what type of paint did you use ? it looks like it is about to roll of the assembly line, good job !
Jim

I used 2 pack Baslac paint for the cab (the chassis etc was done in 2 pack Valspar). While I'm happy to paint the chassis and other parts, I vow never to paint a cab again. It has just about done my head in as I just don't have the skills to get the finish I want. I will be repainting the white on the bottom half of the cab in the next week or so and if I can get that looking a bit better I can get back to assembly. Not looking forward to all the masking though........

1975 Atkinson, 180HP 6LXB Gardner, RTO910, 34000lb Rockwell on camelback
Last edit: 4 years 2 months ago by Oilman.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
4 years 2 months ago - 4 years 2 months ago #206611 by Rattail 1927
Well I done the roof of my truck with acrylic paint mine looks semi gloss, u have to buff it 3-4 times and periodically every 12 months , I’m not sure I could do two pac cause I’d have to do mine out side, that green looks shiny shiny in the photo, as I said good job
Jim
Last edit: 4 years 2 months ago by Rattail 1927.

More
4 years 2 months ago #206618 by cobbadog
Replied by cobbadog on topic 1975 Atkinson restoration
I feel your pain with paint work that just doesn't make you feel as happy as you expected. When painting the David Brown I too did not get the expected result. But after the stuff up when treating the fuel tank for rust inside and it fell off the bench and onto gravel and had to re do the thing again, it came out a lot better than the first attempt. With mine I think it was not enough thinners and now the tank is good but you hardly see any of it once fitted in place.
Once you get started it wont take long and you will get the result you want.

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.

More
4 years 2 months ago #206619 by overnite
Replied by overnite on topic 1975 Atkinson restoration
Rattail, if your paint needs constant buffing, maybe the weather wasn’t warm enough, or too much thinners, or both. Don’t attempt to spray 2 pack without very good breathing apparatus and clothing.

More
4 years 2 months ago - 4 years 2 months ago #206674 by Rattail 1927
Yeah no it’s just the nature of the of the paint it’s very easy to fix if you’re having dramas , it’s dry to touch in five minutes and can be rubbed and blend in easy, I wouldn’t paint anyone else’s car or truck , it’s second from the bottom paint and quick dry enamel being the total crap but mind you the enamel looks amazing straight off the gun but gets a white haze within 6months , neither of these paints have UV protection , as long as you buff the acrylic every now and then it will be shiny for years and the neighbours are whining with these let alone the 2 pack , contains carcinogenics which kill you eventually.
This stuff is no joke it must be used in a booth .
Last edit: 4 years 2 months ago by Rattail 1927.

More
4 years 2 months ago #206753 by Rattail 1927
One for u oilman, found it in a old magazine
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: PaulFH

More
4 years 4 weeks ago #207614 by Oilman
Replied by Oilman on topic 1975 Atkinson restoration
Well it was a momentous day today, finally finished color sanding and polishing the cab. It has been almost 12 months since I started the bodywork on the cab which is way too long. I wasn't happy with the cab, so color sanded it, and managed to rub through the paint in a couple of places, so masked it up again and repainted the white last week. Finally I can move on, next job is to refit the lights etc and get some new glass cut and fitted.

1975 Atkinson, 180HP 6LXB Gardner, RTO910, 34000lb Rockwell on camelback
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: IHScout, 180wannabe, cobbadog, wouldyou, PaulFH, Southbound, Tacho, wee-allis, oliver1950

More
4 years 4 weeks ago #207615 by Mrsmackpaul
One heck of a job your doing there
I feels good to achieve major milestones in a build

Well done and keep at
Thanks for taking us along on the build so far , I for one have really enjoyed it

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog

More
4 years 4 weeks ago #207618 by 180wannabe
That looks brilliant Oilman, well done!

Re new glass - if you have the original glass and plan to use them as templates to have new glass cut, ALWAYS make sure you get them back. I learnt the hard way..............

More
4 years 4 weeks ago #207620 by Morris
Replied by Morris on topic 1975 Atkinson restoration
Oilman,
You are doing a MAGNICENT job. It is as good as, or just that little bit better than new. So it took a year, so what! you have done it , that is what matters .
I spent 35 years looking for a set of the correct wheels for my 1927 Morris and now I have them and nobody can say anything bad about them. My only regret is that I have the remains of an even rarer truck, a circa 1925 Yellow Knight but I do not have another 35 years!

I have my shoulder to the wheel,
my nose to the grindstone,
I've put my best foot forward,
I've put my back into it,
I'm gritting my teeth,

Now I find I can't do any work in this position!
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog

Time to create page: 0.645 seconds