Skip to main content

1975 Atkinson restoration

More
3 years 10 months ago - 3 years 10 months ago #210488 by PDU
Replied by PDU on topic 1975 Atkinson restoration
Thanks Oilman, nice shed all round, the floor looks great.

The local men's Shed in Crystal Brook is currently waiting on the completion of our 12 x 30 meter shed (also 360 square metres) - floor due to begin being poured tomorrow . . . :unsure: ;)

We had everything organised privately and it would have been 15 x 60 meters with three roller doors, except council stipulated it had to be put out to tender and the builders, knowing what we had in our grant, stacked their bids accordingly. Govt grant became another example of corporation greed and rip offs!!? But what the hey, we still end up with a decent size shed. ;)
Attachments:
Last edit: 3 years 10 months ago by PDU.
The following user(s) said Thank You: PaulFH

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
3 years 10 months ago #210492 by Oilman
Replied by Oilman on topic 1975 Atkinson restoration
Tell me about it. I am in the local CFA and similar situation with our shed. Got the grant 2 years ago and still not built as CFA insist on going to tender, commercial builders etc.

1975 Atkinson, 180HP 6LXB Gardner, RTO910, 34000lb Rockwell on camelback
The following user(s) said Thank You: PDU

More
3 years 10 months ago - 3 years 10 months ago #210495 by Eightpot
Replied by Eightpot on topic 1975 Atkinson restoration
From working on several Gardner engines there is a little more to it. On engines that have been stood up for a time I have come across a few where the injection pump camber tappet rollers have seized, and have been run in that condition ,resulting in 'flats' on the rollers thus lowering the plunger element in the pump and retarding the injection point. The cure was to dismantle the tappets (they are numbered for their position in the cambox), free off the rollers and if they have 'flats' replace them. However I have managed to reclaim them by making a mounting stub in the lathe and lightly grinding the roller contact surface to remove the 'flats'. Next step is to check the tops of the tappet adjusting bolts as they suffer from wear in being continually thrust and against the undersides of the 'buckets' in the pump unit which usually have depressions worn in them. This retards the injection point even more.

From my Gardner 6LX and 6LXB Instruction Manual No. 61.9 this is set out on page 75. Briefly, you will need to remove the pump units on their baseplate, make a 'setting disc' out of 5/8" bar 0.108" (2.74 mm) thick but slightly conical on the upper to meet. the underside of the 'bucket. Set the injection point on the flywheel for the top of the exhaust stroke for a given cylinder so that the tappet is on the back (lowest point) of the cam, put the setting disc on the tappet adjusting bolt conical side uppermost and temporarily clamp the pump unit back on. On the window of the pump for that cylinder the line on the plunger will probably be below those on each side of the window. Remove pump and adjust the tappet adjuster bolt to bring its height up until the window lines all line up. You'll probably need to do this several times to get it right, trial and error - meaning lots of trial and plenty of error!

When you have got it set right, BE SURE TO REMOVE THE 'SETTING DISC' otherwise if the crankshaft is moved it will do serious damage to the pump.

True, the problem can be overcome by merely lengthening the rod to the advance/retard lever on the timing case, but it doesn't overcome the fundamental deficiencies.

With one engine I gave this treatment to, a 1940 built 6L3 in a loco on a preservation site here in the UK it was the practice to have a fuel oil supplier come every few months to top up Diesel fuel tanks. It was noticed that following the tune up this loco fuel tank needed considerably less fuel than on previous occasions..........
Last edit: 3 years 10 months ago by Eightpot.
The following user(s) said Thank You: IHScout, asw120

More
3 years 10 months ago #210496 by cobbadog
Replied by cobbadog on topic 1975 Atkinson restoration
Do you need any help to fill up your nice new shed?
I'm sure others could help you out there as well. Maybe an old Triumph motor bike with built in oil leaks!

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.

More
3 years 10 months ago #210497 by Eightpot
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sarge, IHScout

More
3 years 10 months ago #210639 by Oilman
I have most of the upholstery back so this weekend I managed to get a bit more back together including the 5 panels on the back of the cab. A couple of photos below of the passenger seat. I manged to find the original pattern so had them stitched up the same.

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, Lang, PaulFH, asw120, oliver1950

More
3 years 10 months ago #210641 by Mrsmackpaul
Loving your work

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

More
3 years 10 months ago #210642 by hayseed
Replied by hayseed on topic 1975 Atkinson restoration
You're doing a Great Job Oilman.

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -

More
3 years 10 months ago #210645 by Gryphon
Replied by Gryphon on topic 1975 Atkinson restoration
Hi,

looks a lot more comfortable than the office stool. You might like to make up a third truck seat for use in the house when you can't be in the truck.

Terry

More
3 years 10 months ago #210915 by Oilman
Well this was one of those weekends where you just seem to spend a lot of time getting nothing done. Did manage to get the clutch, accelerator and steering column boots fitted. Also spent a lot of time making up cardboard templates for the floor mats.

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, Mrsmackpaul, PaulFH

Time to create page: 0.634 seconds