More
3 years 6 months ago #214998 by PDU
Replied by PDU on topic 1975 Atkinson restoration
A real credit to you, and envy for the rest of us . . . :blush:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
3 years 6 months ago #215005 by JOHN.K.
Replied by JOHN.K. on topic 1975 Atkinson restoration
Ive got a full set of bogie wedge brakes aka"Rockwell Stopmasters" laying in the dirt here.....guess why they were taken off and replaced with S cams?

• Swishy
  • Away
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
3 years 6 months ago - 3 years 6 months ago #215006 by Swishy
Replied by Swishy on topic 1975 Atkinson restoration
Years ago the oil companies competed agains each other to see who could cart the most gallons @ a legal weight
they went all out to save weight
wedge brakes were lighter than 'S' cams n th@z why U mainly see wedge brakes used
they are all OK wen nu but id everything is not replaced wen time for reline
U can have problems ..... adjusters ...... self adjusters..... performance ..... or lak there of
LOL
also think n the wedge used 15" brake drums ............. 'S'cams 16.5" drums
cya

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH
Last edit: 3 years 6 months ago by Swishy.

More
3 years 6 months ago #215010 by JOHN.K.
Replied by JOHN.K. on topic 1975 Atkinson restoration
The junk Adelaide made IEL Rockwell bogies came fitted with wedges ...and as mentioned 15" drums.......Even though you could buy new Stopmaster complete assys for $50 ,they were still replaced with s cams............One point is that the 15" drums can be used on the IH #4 Eatons on Inter 180s,genuine drums are unobtainium.

More
3 years 6 months ago #215023 by PaulFH
Replied by PaulFH on topic 1975 Atkinson restoration
Have seen a very detailed yank youtube on dismantling
and reconditioning wedge brakes. probably find it with
google help. Good luck, Paul.

More
3 years 6 months ago #215025 by Lang
Replied by Lang on topic 1975 Atkinson restoration

The following user(s) said Thank You: IHScout, PaulFH

More
3 years 5 months ago #215314 by Oilman
Replied by Oilman on topic 1975 Atkinson restoration
Just a quick update on what I have been up to - which is not a lot. I have adjusted the brakes on the rear - 3 seem to be OK but the 4th won't lock when the spring brake is on. If you adjust up any more it is too tight. I pulled the air chamber off and all looks to be correct. I will run it and see if it fixes itself (unlikely I know). One of the warning lights in the cab is marked 'spring brake' and I assumed it should come on when the parking brakes are applied but it is on all the time. I have had the truck apart and no where could I find a switch in any of the air lines that would activate it. Tried to trace the wire but it just disappears into the loom. I seemed to recall the light was out when I moved the truck to another shed and then I had a thought - I wonder if the cab lock switch was connected to that light - locked the cab and the light goes out! My power divider lock was working in reverse - you had to lock it (apply air) for it to come off. Had a long chat to Bayswater Diffs and he said he had never seen that type of actuator - looks original though (see red item in photo). Pulled it apart and can't see that anything could be changed so can only conclude that perhaps the power divider lock was always in (can't see that it would cause any damage?) so replacing it with one that will work. Next it is onto a few more oil and water leaks.

1975 Atkinson, 180HP 6LXB Gardner, RTO910, 34000lb Rockwell on camelback
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, Mrsmackpaul, PaulFH

More
3 years 5 months ago #215315 by Mrsmackpaul
If the tyres are matched it shouldn't make a huge difference if the diff lock is engaged
Remembering that many trucks nevet had a power divider once, people diagonally match tyres across from one axle to the other
This spread any difference betwen the diffs
This is still needed to be done on a bogie drive Mack as they dont have a proper power divider

Keep on slowly working away and you wil
Be there quick enough

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

More
3 years 5 months ago #215491 by Oilman
Replied by Oilman on topic 1975 Atkinson restoration
Next to be tackled were three water leaks I could see. The 1st one was just replacing a gasket on the inlet to the water pump that I must have missed. The second one was a screw in water plug on the side of the block. It was behind the fuel pump but with the help of a mate was able to get a 3/4" drive extension bar on it with a bit of pipe and finally got it out and replaced the fibre washer. The last one was leaking at the alloy water manifold on the side of the block. I had spent quite a bit on it having it welded up and machined but found it had a pin hole (not where it had been welded) which I could put a screwdriver tip through. It is off being welded. Awaiting a few parts for air leaks so I can tackle them next.

1975 Atkinson, 180HP 6LXB Gardner, RTO910, 34000lb Rockwell on camelback

• Swishy
  • Away
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
3 years 5 months ago #215492 by Swishy
Replied by Swishy on topic 1975 Atkinson restoration

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH
The following user(s) said Thank You: PaulFH