Skip to main content

1975 Atkinson restoration

More
3 years 5 months ago #215493 by JOHN.K.
Replied by JOHN.K. on topic 1975 Atkinson restoration
Parts are the same for both,shoe adjustment the same, ,the chambers or hyd cyls just screw in ,pushrod fits in a socket.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
3 years 5 months ago #215495 by Swishy
Replied by Swishy on topic 1975 Atkinson restoration
Thanx JK
U live n learn
glad eye never got too involved in the wedge brake
wot can B simpler than the 'S' cam brake
LOL
cya

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

More
3 years 5 months ago #215496 by Morris
Replied by Morris on topic 1975 Atkinson restoration
Swishy, I had a skim through the stuff you put up and a couple of points stood out:

I know it is easy to criticise..........BUT:-
1. They say before leaving the cab with the motor running, chock the wheels. I have never worked as a truck mechanic but that appears a little difficult to me.
2. They warn you not to put grease on the brake lining or in the brake drum. Now, THIS sounds like good advice but only if you actually want the brakes to slow the vehicle. :lol:

I have my shoulder to the wheel,
my nose to the grindstone,
I've put my best foot forward,
I've put my back into it,
I'm gritting my teeth,

Now I find I can't do any work in this position!

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
3 years 5 months ago #215497 by Swishy
Replied by Swishy on topic 1975 Atkinson restoration
Morrie
m80

RE:1 Guessn they mean to secure the vehicle so it dun run away or run ovr U n specially wen play n with brakes .... suggestin all the brakes released n free to roll away

RE:2 Yup dont contaminate the new brake linin ... very hard to keep u're hands clean wen do n brakes ... suggestin keep u're grubby fingers off the lininz

Butt
there again wodda eye kno

cya

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

• BillyP
  • I wish i could remember all the things i have forgotten...
More
3 years 5 months ago - 3 years 5 months ago #215502 by BillyP
Replied by BillyP on topic 1975 Atkinson restoration
Back in the old days driving in reverse and jabbing the brakes was supposed to adjust the shoes............
But every thing had to be spot on otherwise it did not happen.......mostly the auto adjusters would seize and put
paid to that theory..............
About the only thing going for them was, they were lighter than S cams, other than that ,they were a PITA...........
Shell had some KWs that initially wouldnt stop, we looked at them at Lansvale and some had rusty drums,
that was how well they had been assembled at new.
If the shoes were not adjusted (or assembled ) right or more of a worry, was the assembly of the cylinders to
the backing plates , then things didnt go according to plan.
The cylinders have to be screwed in to the right depth , if it goes in too far, that will shorten the application travel.....
and the wedge will not press the shoes onto the drum , Virtually the same if not screwed in far enough............
On an old rusty set up it is hard to get the feel of the cylinder being in the right possy as it can be tight on the threads..............
If the cylinders have been set up right, all you have to do in future is adjust the shoes................
But if you reline the shoes and the bloke before you didnt set the cylinders correct, the brakes may not perform up to
standard ........... (just saying for reference sake)...
Maybe i should have mentioned when fiddling , that the spring brake cylinder /s. will be bottomed by the spring
when there is no air pressure to release them.........
.....................Billy......................

I CAME INTO THIS WORLD WITH NOTHING & STILL HAVE MOST OF IT.........................

I used to be a truck driver,
but i am now not a truck driver ,
on a good day i can remember
that i used to be a truck driver.
Last edit: 3 years 5 months ago by BillyP.

More
3 years 5 months ago #215506 by JOHN.K.
back in the day,if you wanted the brakes to last well ,you gave the new linings a good smear of grease before installing .....at least I always did......and the drum would get a nice glaze on it......This was a cure for a grabby wheel ,too..........Talking of truck brakes ,my mate from the old days died a few months ago of asbestos cancer ...he was only a year or so older than me.

More
3 years 3 months ago - 3 years 3 months ago #216900 by Oilman
Replied by Oilman on topic 1975 Atkinson restoration
Around 6 weeks ago, I had a bit of a setback with the project. I was fixing the last of my oil leaks when I went to nip up a fitting on an oil line that runs behind the injector pump and stripped the thread. To fit a thread insert meant removing the injector pump which you would think would be a pretty simple job on an old Gardner. Unfortunately it means removing several oil lines along with the filter and some other parts, many with bolts that are almost impossible to get to. I decided to put the project aside for a few weeks as I was pretty dejected. It took me 7 hours to remove, another 7 hours to replace and 15 minutes to repair (John could probably do it in a couple of hours). Also discovered the leak was because I had fitted an O ring with 1/8" cross section when it should have been 5/32". Finally got it all back together last week and degreased it to see if all was fixed. Then I found one new leak and that is a fine crack in the cast sump. Hopefully I can repair without having to remove it again and have it welded. One of the brass fittings on a water manifold was also leaking (i had replaced it with a new one when I assembled the motor) and of course when I went to remove it it snapped in half (what else could go wrong). Lucky I was able to just screw the broken part out using the tang on a file so ended up being a simple fix. When I started it up today to check for oil leaks, a lot of oil or diesel seems to be dripping out the exhaust pipe. Is this in issue or does it just need a good run?

1975 Atkinson, 180HP 6LXB Gardner, RTO910, 34000lb Rockwell on camelback
Last edit: 3 years 3 months ago by Oilman.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog

More
3 years 3 months ago #216903 by cobbadog
Replied by cobbadog on topic 1975 Atkinson restoration
Now that has to be the "apex" of annoying problems, 15 minutes to fix the problem and 14 hours to do it. All for a 1/32" difference in size.
Are you sure you have a Gardener in there and not my McDonald? It loves sharing measles with anyone within shot distance.
At least we expect these annoying hiccups and get on with fixing them as we find then. Kind of like a constant long walk, one foot in front of the other and you will get there. Keep at it as you must be so close to enjoying all your extremely hard work.

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.

More
3 years 3 months ago #216908 by JOHN.K.
Fortunately the Gardner in the old crane has been running like a clock.....had a bit of a drip from the water pump ,but thats cured itself ......

More
3 years 3 months ago #216913 by IHScout
Replied by IHScout on topic 1975 Atkinson restoration
Could the oily drip from the exhaust just be condensation mixed with soot and oil residue in the pipe? If so, a good run will clear that up.

Dennis

Time to create page: 0.515 seconds