Skip to main content

1975 Atkinson restoration

More
6 years 6 months ago #188003 by Oilman
Replied by Oilman on topic 1975 Atkinson restoration
I'll replace the Olympic Trojans on the steer as the tread is getting down anyway. Will also have to replace two lug tyres on the drive but the other 6 are OK. I'll pick the best of the rest for a spare.

1975 Atkinson, 180HP 6LXB Gardner, RTO910, 34000lb Rockwell on camelback

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
6 years 5 months ago #189018 by Oilman
It has been a month or so since I posted up an update. Frustratingly I have been trying to find someone close by with a forklift or forks on a loader to lift off the cab and engine so I could continue to dismantle the chassis. Whilst the wait has been annoying, I have spent the time doing jobs that need to be done eventually anyway like repairing the starter, cleaning up nuts, bolts, brackets, headlights etc. Today I found a neighbour who could help and was able to finally remove the cab and engine. Not much left now.

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: roKWiz

More
6 years 5 months ago #189020 by Dave_64
Replied by Dave_64 on topic 1975 Atkinson restoration
Oilman,
Of course you realise we will be pestering you for updates as well as progressive photo's.
"Now the fun begins"
Dave.

More
6 years 5 months ago #189022 by Mrsmackpaul
Im always surprised just how much time the little things take like running taps and die nuts over threads etc
I tend to use that recent discovery to me wire wheel on lots of things as well and all this takes a huge amount of time
So I guess it doesnt matter if these jobs are done at the start before the cab is pulled off or once the cab is pulled off they still all need doing
Great stuff and keep at it

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

More
6 years 5 months ago #189027 by atkipete
Replied by atkipete on topic 1975 Atkinson restoration
That is one serious lump of an engine.

More
6 years 4 months ago #189123 by Oilman
Well it is no longer possible to pull my truck any further apart. I have 2 rusty chassis rails, so after a couple of small jobs (welding up some 'spare' holes) it will be off to the sandblaster. No real surprises with the remainder of the disasssembly. The left hand spring had a broken top leaf and I was half expecting that to be the case given the spring shackle was resting on the stop. Morwell spring works has previously been recommended, but given that it is a 500km round trip for me, does anyone have any experience with Carrolls springs in Melbourne?

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sarge, roKWiz

More
6 years 4 months ago - 6 years 4 months ago #189128 by Southbound
Used to be a bloke in Victoria rd Lilydale, Norm someone, I think he retired and his son took over. I had some springs retensioned there 10 ish years ago. Any forum members used them lately?
EDIT www.aubizs.com/business/Hi-Tech-Suspension_1sox.html They can make new U bolts too.

Oilman I'm really enjoying the resto story so far, you have been doing things properly and putting up pics to keep us all informed! It's great idea to start with a complete running truck it always costs less in the long run. Also interested to see that you have been fixing the little jobs as you dismantle.
Keep up the good work. B) Southbound

I'd rather have tools that I don't need, than not have the tools I do need.
Last edit: 6 years 4 months ago by Southbound.

More
6 years 4 months ago #189210 by scratcha
Replied by scratcha on topic 1975 Atkinson restoration
Jeez Oilman, you dont muck around! thatll be a beautiful resto when your done!

1418 Benz now really impressing the bride :-)

More
6 years 4 months ago - 6 years 4 months ago #189415 by Oilman
Today I took delivery of a 'parts' truck. Not sure exactly what parts I might need, but I'm sure it will come in handy. Too good to go to the scrap yard. It is an early MKII (1972) and has a 6LXB Gardner in it. I think it started life as a 4x2 (with disc wheels) and someone has grafted a bogie onto it at some time. The previous owner says it was an ex Hovey's transport, but I don't recall them having a slimline with a Gardner (paint underneath is red so could be right).

Attachments:
Last edit: 6 years 4 months ago by Oilman.

More
6 years 4 months ago #189417 by Sarge
Replied by Sarge on topic 1975 Atkinson restoration
you are doing great stuff oilman, keep breeding them, you will be fleet owner in no time....

Sarge B)
ACCO Owner, Atkinson dreamer.

Time to create page: 0.630 seconds