Skip to main content

WW2 Ford Blitz identification

More
6 years 10 months ago - 6 years 10 months ago #183061 by gts2dur
Hi viewers, my first post after buying this classic which has been resting in the bush ..
I am looking for any blitz enthusiasts or help to identify this Ford Blitz truck please,
or any contacts who may know more about these ww2 trucks. I am in se.qld area.
I hope to find out the year and model if possible or any other related info is appreciated..
The truck has the army?? number on the lhs, 51555., it has a 4wd driveline, flathead v8 motor, hydraulic crane, big rear winch, dual rear wheels, main cabin is mainly depleted
I am a car enthusiast and honestly only bought the truck for the motor but the chassis and driveline look solid and am considering keeping it whole if I can figure out how to relocate an item of this size etc..
Thank you very much and best wishes..

Attachments:
Last edit: 6 years 10 months ago by IHScout. Reason: Click inser to make the picture appear in the post

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
6 years 10 months ago #183077 by atkipete
These trucks ( Ford and Chev produced similar ones) are collectively known as CMP ( Canadian Military Patten) type and there is more info here.
canadianmilitarypattern.com/

More
6 years 10 months ago #183369 by wedgetail84
It's a no 12 cab F60L (ford, 60cwt payload, long wheel base). 12 cabs are rarer and worth a shade more than 13s, but much harder to work on and be in. Love the cab, and bumper... The crane looks HD. Not much collector value sadly and I bet it's been worked hard! Cool thing to own but probably an uphill battle to restore as so much is missing. Does it have the winch?
The following user(s) said Thank You: gts2dur

More
6 years 10 months ago #183371 by 235mack
This model is commonly know as a Monkey Face and they are still around .
The Frank Partridge Military Museum in Bowraville NSW are currently restoring one.

More
6 years 10 months ago - 6 years 10 months ago #183409 by gts2dur
Thank you all for the reply, much appreciated..
any ideas on the truck year of the manufacture please,
yes it does have a real big winch and complete with cable etc. toward the rear of the chassis
it is a cool truck and is looking most likely I will be unable to save it at this time, although I will regret it if it goes to scrap steel..

in the meantime I will get some costs on freight to try to rescue ??
till next time , many thanks
Last edit: 6 years 10 months ago by gts2dur. Reason: coeerction

More
6 years 10 months ago #183412 by Beaver
Age would be around 1941-42.

There are a few sites dedicated to CMPs and flathead Ford engines, which could help you date it from chassis or engine numbers. Just keep Mr Google busy

Beaver@ Museum of Fire

More
6 years 10 months ago #183426 by JOHN.K.
I remember when half the wreckers in Australia had new ex army Ford Mercury power-packs;motor, radiator, housing with stub shaft for output,generally $70 -$80 all in a neat enclosure.Bobby Addison had a big shed full of new Mercury bits ,when he passed away about 10 years ago,it all went for scrap,which was over $300 a ton at the time.

More
6 years 10 months ago #183431 by 600Dodge
I remember them, my uncle had one trailer mounted with a 500A lincoln welder running off it, I think that went for scrap when the side flogger got too expensive to run.

More
6 years 10 months ago - 6 years 10 months ago #183439 by JOHN.K.
Heres a believe it or not.....with the original 11.00x20 tyres these trucks could hold 70mph on the flat,but the slightest hill would drop you back to third gear.A marvellous go any where truck,better than anything the army has had since.The cab is rigidly mounted,on rough ground the door locks pop open,so the doors had hooks to hold them slightly open.The heat in the cab on a hot day would melt rubber shoe soles.A man took his wife to church ,the little door on the engine cover was missing,the heat melted holes in her stockings.And rough riding,little short front springs that would shake your guts up so bad you couldnt eat. A man wrote to Henry Ford from the western desert........Nothing can stop our Blitz,not sand,not choking dust,not desert,not rock,only a direct hit from an 88 will put it out of action for a day or so.
Last edit: 6 years 10 months ago by JOHN.K..

More
6 years 10 months ago - 6 years 10 months ago #183456 by wedgetail84
If you're only going to pull bits off - take the winch too! Worth a bit, I'd love one for mine anyway...

You're obviously a ford man but I've heard a few saying the Chev was more advanced. I've heard the quote "if you want to get there fast take the ford, of you want to get there at all take the chev"

Beaver wrote: Age would be around 1941-42.

wiki puts the cab change at late '41 - I guess that means it's 41 or older.
Last edit: 6 years 10 months ago by wedgetail84.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Beaver

Time to create page: 0.542 seconds