Skip to main content

WW2 Ford Blitz identification

More
6 years 10 months ago #183468 by JOHN.K.
The Fords were allways better in soft going,more power to keep afloat,and when the diffs hit the mud,they cut narrow tracks,Chev banjo diffs bulldozed mud up under the truck,and the gutless motor couldnt pull through it. Here is another believe it or not.......If you got a big load on the winch and the motor was about to stall,if you touched the clutch pedal the winch would spin the linings from the clutch.That refers to the Blitz winch which had a gearset from the 2 1/2 ton truck,7.2 to 1.The tiny brake on the blitz winch would never hold a big load.The winches had high line speed and were often used for cleaning dams .two trucks with a scoop pulled back and forth.The Mercury was a marvellous motor,so quiet at idle,all you could hear was the tick of the fuel pump and the swish of fan belts.The rod bearings were loose and turned in the rods as well as on the crank.A Chev was clunk,clunk,clunk until the motor speeded up.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
6 years 10 months ago - 6 years 10 months ago #183481 by morrisguy
You can go to the Aust. war memorial web site and look up that reg number, they recently uploaded the WW2 vehicle census numbers books . The book will tell you the date when it was disposed and who bought it .

here is the link www.awm.gov.au/collection/AWM126/
Last edit: 6 years 10 months ago by morrisguy.

More
6 years 10 months ago #183488 by asw120
Re Chev motors; I had a '37 half-door ute years ago (not on the road). Apart from the noise, you could feel the bearings through the clutch pedal. Did have plenty of stick in second, though. (3 speed)

Jarrod.

“I offer my opponents a bargain: if they will stop telling lies about us, I will stop telling the truth about them”

― Adlai E. Stevenson II

More
6 years 10 months ago - 6 years 10 months ago #183644 by wedgetail84
been thinking my chev feels quite gutsy really, even if the brakes do drag a bit... But then it is rebuilt and has no body so it should.

Here's my uncles ford from a few years ago - he was still using it for logging at the time. Only ran on 7 cylinders on a good day - had already had a long hard life

And removing the engine from my chev

and towing mine into the property with his stude

then me when I was about 14 putting the front diff back together after he'd been using it to run a sawmill (long shaft from front of Tcase through front diff to saw bench)

fast forward 18 years and I haven't made that much progress...
Last edit: 6 years 10 months ago by wedgetail84.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 600Dodge, Mrsmackpaul, Diggerdave

More
3 years 10 months ago #211205 by rupert
Hi you are really lucky to have the ARN on the bonnet side,
I did look this up,
51555 WD type UK order 907, lorry ford 3 tons GS 4x4, eng.no. 2G 39974, chassis no 2G399774,
( note AWM records have ghosting, So 2G 39974 for the chassis no.)
was used by the US, under USA G52, No. 178 30/3/42. no returned date, But 23/5/69 as a guess (date is ghosted)
served 3,c Areas ( Victoria, Ceylon)
I suggest you check
Nice Body wast my ARN on the AWM site.
regs
Rupert

Time to create page: 0.427 seconds