Skip to main content

Late 354 Perk.

More
6 years 6 months ago #186638 by JOHN.K.
Late 354 Perk. was created by JOHN.K.
I had a guy round this morning with a mystery water leak in a Perk in a 1850 ACCO tipper.He s replaced the head gasket,and that made no difference.Still leaking coolant into the oil.This is one of those things that had me stumped the first time I saw it ,about 30 years ago.But now I know exactly what is leaking,and how to fix it.Do any of you Inter owners know?You should ,cause it can save a lot of work and expense.Affects the series 4 and late turbo motors.Over to the new generation of ACCO experts.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
6 years 6 months ago #186643 by cliffo
Replied by cliffo on topic Late 354 Perk.
If it has an oil cooler that is the first place I would look or on Detroit 671 if the drain hole between the water pump and where it is shaft driven blocks up and the waterpump seal leaks the water will go along the shaft into motor

More
6 years 6 months ago #186644 by Mrsmackpaul
Replied by Mrsmackpaul on topic Late 354 Perk.
the turbo 6354's I have seen have a water cooled oil cooler remote mounted on the front LHS near the bottom of the block

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

More
6 years 6 months ago #186680 by JOHN.K.
Replied by JOHN.K. on topic Late 354 Perk.
Leak was from the head via the stud hole.Comes out between the head and block in the pushrod space.The stud hole goes thru the water space,and has a thin cast iron sleeve inserted to seal .When this thin sleeve pinholes thru,water leaks into the stud hole,but Perkins didnt want the stud rusting,so the head gasket is cut away to let any water out.The sleeve is not a spare,so you would have to make one,but if you pull out the old sleeve and install it out of position it seals again.This can be done without removing the head,when you know whats going on.The first time I struck it ,it took a bit of figuring out.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kwakatriple

More
6 years 6 months ago #186687 by wedgetail84
Replied by wedgetail84 on topic Late 354 Perk.
I've got a neighbour that had something similar, would it apply to a dodge D3F? He put a new head on and still coolant in oil

More
6 years 6 months ago #186700 by JOHN.K.
The dot4 and maybe dot3 have the drilling across the head that the sleeve closes off.Easily spotted as there is a drill hole through the stud hole,showing in the pushrod space in the head.Dont know that a D3F would have a Perk that late.But anything is possible at this point in time.It may be that his block has rusted thru somewhere.My Courier ute couldnt make 11 years with green water that costs a fortune,so a Perk is doing pretty good at 40 years with rusty water for coolant.My old neighbour used to say" Perks paid for everything I owned,Macks have cost me nearly everything I used to own.".......With great power comes great repair costs.Or something like that.

More
6 years 5 months ago - 6 years 5 months ago #187588 by invested energy
Replied by invested energy on topic Late 354 Perk.
I've just fitted a 1981 build turbo Perk to my AB130... it's a good deal livelier than the old natural breather that came out!

The engine came to me via another enthusiast from a wrecker so I don't know what it came out of exactly. Any ideas?

Curious to know your opinions on a couple things though. I understand the turbo engines were governed to 2600rpm? I admit I need to check the tacho calibration, but this one seems happy to turn 3000. I'm not sure if the pump has been fiddled with.

I'm using the truck for work pretty regularly and as such need to make it somewhat acceptable to the modern traffic... the last engine was tired and I quickly grew even more tired of educating the SA Police about diesel smoke rules, one member at a time. They usually toned down the rhetoric when you present some recent defect paperwork however it's easier not to upset them in the first place.

So under advice from the assembled experts here, I used to add a dash of petrol (2%) when filling up. This didn't appear to make much difference but what did do a good deal to clear the air was putting a catalytic converter from a 4 litre/6cyl/AU Falcon into the exhaust about 24" from the manifold. Everyone including myself was a bit surprised it didn't clog up solid having to deal with a smoky old diesel, but it did help alot with minimising the smoke once it was warm. So I'm interested to try that trick again...

The other thing I did (which didn't meet with everyones approval) was vent the crankcase into the intake air stream. As mentioned the old girl did breathe heavily from the rocker cover and you'd get some queer looks and upturned noses from the general public when you pull up at the lights and oil fumes are emanating from the bonnet. Again I'm looking to minimise the smoke and smells, though I realise the standard approach is a road draft tube, I wondered if it would hurt to run the crankcase fumes back into the engine (just upstream of the turbo) for reprocessing so to speak.

Ideally I'd just have a 3" pipe hanging off the turbo and plumbed out the side, and little else to dampen the noise or performance. Sadly the public and perhaps more importantly my customers get a bit shitty about these things, which is fair enough I guess. I'm not looking for electronic management and a DPF but by the same token I know full well with a petrol powered vehicle, a PCV valve makes for a better smelling car with fewer oil leaks... thus less embarassment on the customers driveway.

Anyone got any more ideas?

Cheers

Anthony

for when I'm not driving the car of the century...
Attachments:
Last edit: 6 years 5 months ago by invested energy. Reason: needs picture?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kwakatriple

More
6 years 5 months ago #187596 by Mrsmackpaul
Replied by Mrsmackpaul on topic Late 354 Perk.
3000 sounds to be reving pretty hard for the Perk and seem to recall 2800 max in a truck and 2100 on farm tractors
higher revving motors dont seem to last with these older style diesels

Petrol in diesel is a lot of rubbish I dont care what the so called experts say
If 2% or 10 % or 20% made any real improvement to a diesel fuel companies would be adding it as a matter of course

How to make it run cleaner ???
I think thats your question, I find revving high with a lite load is like letting idle for long periods I reckon it glazes it up and makes it smoke a lot

these are just my thoughts and just based on what I reckon I notice

So slow the revs and make it work harder in its more designed rev range and I reckon it will clean and run nice

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

More
6 years 5 months ago #187597 by dieseldog
Replied by dieseldog on topic Late 354 Perk.
Hey mate, 3000 RPM is ok, but at that revs there is no tolerance for abnormal conditions- hot days, overspeed, etc. I know the V8 Perks were tested to 5800 rpms on the overrun, to be able to cope with driver abuse. The reason tractor engines are limited to 2200 is because a they are often used at full power for long peroids, so they are backed off to increase engine life. I've had tractors that were opened up to 3000 rpm and they will happily sit at this all day, but this is purely for road speed. In the paddock, they are never operated above 2200 RPM. If you want to cruise around at those revs, I'd recommend fitting a pyrometer and back it off when your fully loaded, up hills etc, and be watching the tacho like a hawk.

With the crankcase vent fuming so much, I would say it might be rebuild time. Even on a very worn engine, I'd expect heaps of air and a whisp of oil mist, but if its noticeable without looking at the tube, I would say its getting a bit long in the tooth. I would pull the breather out of the intake, and vent it back to the atmosphere. Its unlikely, but you may find yourself in a runaway situation venting into the intake manifold.

I would be running it on a straight 40 weight oil. Modern oils are too clean and slippery and you will find that they work there way up past the rings quite easily. I use Delo silver 40 in some of my older stuff, with good results. The other thing I would do is change the injection nozzles. For about $300- $400, you can by a nozzle tester and 6 new nozzles on ebay. Then, watch a few YouTube "how to" videos, and do it in a few hours one weekend.
The following user(s) said Thank You: invested energy

More
6 years 5 months ago #187613 by JOHN.K.
People upped the revs on Perks to increase the road speed.I generally find that excessive revs produce petrol engine fuel consumption.Your 1982 turbo will be 95% certain from a Acco.It shouldnt make white smoke like the earlier motors,the dot4 turbos were good for smoke.Perkins say SAE20 oil,no point going heavier is pressure is good.I put a cat converter from a car on mine,and it didnt make one bit of difference to the smoke.very restrictive though,and an effective muffler.But it used to run cold,and I was told it needed to be mounted directly under the manifold.Waste of time,and too restrictive for a turbo engine.Anyway my D1300 was parked up on the third smoke notice,when it needed a dyno test report.It had done a million miles as a mechanics truck,and well worn out,so I got my moneys worth.Had a job and a company ute by then anyway.Your dot4 shouldnt make any smoke.The early motors smoked white due to fuel on cool metal,black due to poorly shaped ports in head,and the DPA pump.Yours has a VF type Bosch pump,designed to be low emissions.

Time to create page: 0.601 seconds