Skip to main content

Windscreen Glass Requirements for Club Rego

More
6 years 7 months ago #187068 by Muttlee
Would the club inspector need a specific glass type for club rego on my Atki Mk1?

I'm chasing a windscreen corner glass and looking at having it made. Ol'mate said it is possible to make in toughened glass but not laminated and it looks like laminated is fitted currently.
Back in the day, l'd put money on toughened being the only glass available.

Appreciate feedback from those in the know...
Thanks

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
6 years 7 months ago #187072 by Swanny
I think as long as there is a glass standards stamp in the glass when toughened it would be ok you will need to pay extra to be stamped not sure how much a good glass supplier could tell you. That was case a few years ago maybe rules have changed

More
6 years 7 months ago - 6 years 7 months ago #187077 by Lang
The glass people will cut you any size or shape laminated and put a stamp on it. Windscreens O'Brien etc.

I just replaced the two laminated glass screens for a WW2 Willys Jeep and they came tinted to my requirement and Australian Standard etched stamp. $100 for both sides fitted and no stamp charge. Admittedly the jeep screen sections are fairly small but I have always been surprised how cheap glass is. The stamp is just dipped in acid and pressed on the glass - 20 seconds. Some people will sand blast on a template.

I suspect they may not sell vehicle glass without a stamp and it is all a part of the service.

Lang
Last edit: 6 years 7 months ago by Lang.

More
6 years 7 months ago #187083 by 180wannabe
You should be able to get a laminated glass, just make sure you get it from someone who knows what they are doing.
I broke the passenger side windscreen in a Mk3 Atkinson 18 months ago. We took it out and the local crash repair shop sent it to Adelaide to have a new one cut. Original was clear glass, new one came tinted. Crash repairer rang up and complained and asked for replacement in clear to be sent asap, but no can do, original already thrown away. So i took the tinted glass back myself and waited for a clear glass to be cut. Got home with new clear glass, discovered it was too small. While the glass company concerned was a widely known, reputable business, the staff at this particular location were absolutely useless.
Moral to my story, always insist on having the original glass/template returned, and keep it!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mrsmackpaul

More
6 years 7 months ago #187086 by V8Ian
Muttlee is chasing the corner screen, that's heavily curved, so not a simple cut from flat glass.

More
6 years 7 months ago #187097 by 180wannabe
Oh sorry, i just assumed Mk1 fibreglass cab.

More
6 years 7 months ago - 6 years 7 months ago #187102 by PDU
I have the two rear side windows from an FE/FC Holden Station Wagon; the ones that curl around the rear quarters. I thought I might sell them as no longer required so checked with several classic glass suppliers - the prices (in my opinion) were unbelievably expensive for a set of station wagon side windows, quarter windows, door windows, BUT excluding the two rear windows in question!? Apparently no one makes them at all . . .
. . . and a check on flea-bay and thumb-tree turned up two for sale at $500+!!
Not really using this as a For Sale ad, merely highlighting the cost of glass now, but if anyone does want to buy mine they are available for $250 the pair, plus I could even throw in an upper tailgate WITH glass for an extra $50! B)
Last edit: 6 years 7 months ago by PDU.

More
6 years 7 months ago #187116 by Lang
If it is curved corner glass I think the way to go is acrylic. if you can't find second hand or NOS.

If you have the old glass it is pretty easy for the plastic people to use it as a mold to make new acrylic ones. You can do it yourself in your wife's oven on low heat if she is amenable.

Nothing wrong with acrylic as it is optically true, crystal clear and long lasting. Good enough for a Boeing 777 at 40,000 feet. You can use perspex which is more flexible but does not last as long (maybe 10 years before having to be cut and polished)

Lang

Time to create page: 0.494 seconds