Skip to main content

Howzat for a parts rip-off

More
6 years 4 months ago #189491 by overnite
Replied by overnite on topic Howzat for a parts rip-off

Beaver wrote: We needed an electric fuel pump in a hurry last year, so down to our local Repco shop and got a small 4-6 psi Facet model for around $80. Seems to work OK for the limited use we give it. We're always having problems with mechanical pumps, can't get kits for 'em anymore, so decided we would start converting over to electrics.

Start looking on eBay, and they have similar looking pumps to the Facet for as little as $15 inc postage. Think, must be cheap imitation, come in a plain box, but at the price, what the heck. Order a couple; when they arrive we find that not only are they identical to the Facet, but even have Facet instruction sheets in the box (OK, maybe that has been copied too). But so far they have been working fine; but we keep a couple in the tool box when we go out, just in case.

Pays to look around.

No surprises there: We all know what REPCO Means............. Rip Every Poor C**t Off.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
6 years 4 months ago #189492 by asw120
Replied by asw120 on topic Howzat for a parts rip-off
I had the electronic module fail in one of those, but the other (just as old) is still ticking.

Jarrod.

“I offer my opponents a bargain: if they will stop telling lies about us, I will stop telling the truth about them”

― Adlai E. Stevenson II

More
6 years 4 months ago #189496 by Dave_64
Replied by Dave_64 on topic Howzat for a parts rip-off
I'm assuming that these small pumps are designed primarily for petrol, probably no reason why the wouldn't work just as well for diesel fuel??
Especially over a short distance and didn't have to lift too high.
At $15 or so, worth trying one to use as a crossover reserve fuel tank.
Dave

More
6 years 4 months ago #189499 by atkipete
Replied by atkipete on topic Howzat for a parts rip-off
They work well. There are medium and low pressure types. I initially bought a medium pressure one and it was causing carby flooding.

More
6 years 4 months ago #189501 by JOHN.K.
Replied by JOHN.K. on topic Howzat for a parts rip-off
I had left and right tanks on my AB panel van,with a SU electric pump.More than once i forgot and pumped diesel all over the ground. Be very painful today,as diesel was free to me in those days.

More
6 years 4 months ago #189505 by Morris
Replied by Morris on topic Howzat for a parts rip-off
Atkipete,
I believe that the flooding would be caused by needle and seat not seating correctly. They are designed to prevent too much fuel in carby.

I have my shoulder to the wheel,
my nose to the grindstone,
I've put my best foot forward,
I've put my back into it,
I'm gritting my teeth,

Now I find I can't do any work in this position!

More
6 years 4 months ago #189507 by oldgmc
Replied by oldgmc on topic Howzat for a parts rip-off
Rebuilding a water pump for 281 inter, over $400 for a complete pump, repair kit $200, after market bearing $22.00 trim shaft to length, seal $20.00, real careful removing impellor, make own gaskets free, forget Labour you guys can add up

Old trucks will make you poor but not unhappy

More
6 years 4 months ago #189511 by Beaver
Replied by Beaver on topic Howzat for a parts rip-off
But too much pressure can "over-ride" the valve and force fuel through. We had that problem with SUs on a couple of our trucks, perhaps the n & s were a bit worn with age; but with these pumps we have solved the problem.

At $15 each, we are not too concerned with the occasional failure. We carry spares when we go out, and it is only a couple of minutes work to replace them. Put them close to the tank, they are not so good at sucking fuel, just pushing it.

Beaver@ Museum of Fire
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dave_64

More
6 years 4 months ago #189522 by atkipete
Replied by atkipete on topic Howzat for a parts rip-off
No, needle and seat were both new and float all OK. Some of those electric pumps deliver more pressure than the old mechanical ones. My advice is go for the low pressure type if feeding petrol to a carby.

More
6 years 4 months ago #189531 by asw120
Replied by asw120 on topic Howzat for a parts rip-off
From memory, you can get from 2, to 6 PSI.

Jarrod.

“I offer my opponents a bargain: if they will stop telling lies about us, I will stop telling the truth about them”

― Adlai E. Stevenson II
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dave_64

Time to create page: 0.530 seconds