Skip to main content

Ram assisting Armstrong steering

More
6 years 3 months ago #190573 by rockcrawler31
Good topic.

In addition to vintage tin i also build and race offroad vehicles. We have been using full hydro or hydro assist systems for years in both on road and off road vehicles. On road the requirement is for hydro assist is that if there is a failure of the pump or hose there should still be a mechanical linkage. We usually tap a power steer box with take off p0rts and run the hoses direct to the ram. Effectively we are using the recirculating balls in the PS box as an orbital valve. The ram is then set up similar to a steering damper. This also means that the steering is load sensitive, so similar to the push pull valve as already mentioned here. PSC, Howe, and trailgear are the suppliers i regularly use. My race car uses a full hydraulic system and yes the steering feel is different but you adjust to it. There is zero vagueness or lag time at all, which you would hope so considering i'm bombing across the desert at 160.

I'd like to run PS on my D line but need a side exit sector shaft power steer box and all the suggestions that have been made to me so far have been for 4wd boxes far too small for a 6 tonne truck

I've got the truck

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
6 years 3 months ago #190589 by Dave_64
rockcrawler31,
sent you a P/M.
Dave

More
6 years 3 months ago #190594 by rockcrawler31
You can actually get drag link assist systems new but for cars. Seems drag link valves for power steer were common in US cars back in the sixties

I've got the truck

More
6 years 2 months ago #190704 by dieseldog
For what its worth Dave, you can still get chaser rams for tractors. Sparex, Bepco and quite a few others list different kits for Ford, MF and Inter tractors. I couldnt find much here in Oz, but there is heaps of bits over in the UK, so it may pay to get some measurements of what you want and send some emails over there.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dave_64

More
6 years 2 months ago #190713 by Dave_64
Dieseldog,
thanks for the link, shot both those mobs an email so will wait and see what kind of reply I get.
Dave.

Time to create page: 0.405 seconds