Skip to main content

Choosing a replacement diff housing

More
6 years 2 months ago #191225 by Roughy
Hi All,

I've been informed that my Thames is rather slow, and having only driven it in the driveway in 1st and reverse, i can only trust what I've been told. I have discovered that the diff ratio is roughly 6:1. This combined with the mechanical drum breaks means that I've decided to change the diff housing to something a little more modern.

What should I been looking for when choosing a replacement?
Obviously a lower ratio and hydraulic breaks, but what else?

Thanks in advance

Cheers

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
6 years 2 months ago #191230 by 180wannabe
Overall width, width apart of mounting points (ie springs), whether the handbrake is at the rear wheels, and hubs/stud pattern, are some things that first come to mind.
Would a hydraulic brake conversion need to be engineered?
Might end up easier and cheaper to leave home 20 minutes earlier and just sit back and enjoy the ride................

More
6 years 2 months ago #191241 by JOHN.K.
There are places that do all kinds of things with Ford diffs for hotrods......at a price of course.

More
6 years 2 months ago #191243 by Mrsmackpaul
First thing that comes to mind is tyres
If you only have say 750 / 20's on there maybe change to 10.00's as these are a lot taller and will go onto the narrower rims with some effort
Also buy a cheap tacho and just check the revs at different speeds just to see for your self how fast it revs
6-1 is pretty handy diff ratio as plenty of trucks were around this or slower
But leaving home 20inutes earlier to me is the simplest answer by far and allows for a more relaxed cruise as these slower vehicles can be a bit of a handful when geared right up and most don't have the power either

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

More
6 years 2 months ago #191245 by JOHN.K.
You dont say what size Thames it is.......i assumed a van,but they came as big as 8 ton trucks too,with 2 speed diffs.

More
6 years 2 months ago #191272 by overnite

Roughy wrote: Hi All,

I've been informed that my Thames is rather slow, and having only driven it in the driveway in 1st and reverse, i can only trust what I've been told. I have discovered that the diff ratio is roughly 6:1. This combined with the mechanical drum breaks means that I've decided to change the diff housing to something a little more modern.

What should I been looking for when choosing a replacement?
Obviously a lower ratio and hydraulic breaks, but what else?

Thanks in advance

Cheers

Mechanical brakes??? What year model is it?

More
6 years 2 months ago - 6 years 2 months ago #191275 by Roughy
Hi

The breaks were my first concern, so if they could be converted to hydraulic and if it goes 80 km/h without wringing the flatheads neck I would be happy with that.

It's a 500e, 2 tonne tray.

Hydraulic to the diff then mechanical to the wheels, hopefully a pic might explain it.

Last edit: 6 years 2 months ago by hayseed. Reason: fixed pics..

More
6 years 2 months ago #191277 by 180wannabe
That type of brake setup is a bit different. My Austins have an almost identical handbrake setup, but are hydraulic at the wheels. I think the early 1950's 2 ton Austin diff ratio is 5.85:1. Is that a torque tube, or open tailshaft?

More
6 years 2 months ago #191279 by Roughy
Yes it's a bit different, it took the best part of 2 days and 3 different pullers to figure out that to remove the break drum I had to remove the axle half shaft first.
i.imgur.com/hIQu4jY.jpg
i.imgur.com/35loaEk.jpg

Yes that be a torque tube.

Overnite: I believe it's a 1956 model

Another issue is getting my hands on grease and oil seals so that this doesn't happen again,
i.imgur.com/g2SNuaT.jpg
i.imgur.com/N3ZZJkK.jpg
i.imgur.com/ovSPdiB.jpg

More
6 years 2 months ago #191281 by 180wannabe
I'm thinking a replacement diff is unlikely to have a torque tube, which could cause you issues at the rear of the gearbox.

Time to create page: 0.478 seconds