Skip to main content

Bedford K Model Windscreen Wiper Motor Repairs

More
6 years 4 weeks ago #192281 by Lang
Sorry Pierre

Only Bosch and CAV of that style on the shelf.

Lang

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
6 years 4 weeks ago #192282 by Pierre
Appreciate the thought & effort Lang.
As a side note I do love your Carry All Dodge, if I struck Tatts & be the first to buy!
cheers
Pierre

Pierre

More
6 years 4 weeks ago #192287 by Dodgeydude
Pierre I find with this stuff that if it has been greased then you need to clean all the old grease out of the workings. Seems to set hard but still looks like normal grease. That includes the bearings if you can flick out the bearing seals. Like Paul say's has to spin free with fingers or those ancient volts won't work.

Many useful things fall off trucks

More
6 years 3 weeks ago #192300 by Pierre
Thanks Dodgey Dude, I'll do that on the w/end & see how we go. What cleaner do you recommend for electrical components?
cheers
Pierre

Pierre
The following user(s) said Thank You: eerfree

More
6 years 3 weeks ago - 6 years 3 weeks ago #192302 by Lang
Bunnings have WD40 Fast Dry Electrical Contact cleaner in a spray can for $17. This will remove any grease, corrosion etc without leaving an oily film like normal WD40/CRC etc.

I suppose you could used standard WD40 but I suspect it would not do any old cloth wire covering much good in the long run. Back in the day I am sure they just swished the parts around in a jar of petrol before drying and lubricating as required.

Lang
Last edit: 6 years 3 weeks ago by Lang.

More
6 years 3 weeks ago #192320 by Dodgeydude
I like CRC 2.26

Many useful things fall off trucks
The following user(s) said Thank You: Fill

More
6 years 3 weeks ago #192478 by Pierre
Hi, Got it cleaned up, but still no go at this stage.
There is a broken thin bakelite sheet that sits under the name plate joining the + & - screws, so there's probably still a few things to fix yet to get this working again.
I'm lead to believe you can use formica as a replacement. (the type that goes on kitchen tops eg; sample swatches).

Looking through my 1953 workshop manual & supplement manual, there is no mention in either the text, or the electrical schematic drawings showing colour of wires +/- position etc etc. Why would they leave this out?

Does anyone have a schematic that shows the Windscreen Wiper Motor on a 1953 Bedford K Model?

cheers
Pierre

Pierre

More
6 years 3 weeks ago #192479 by JMR
Hi Pierre.

Looking at the motor I cant see any brushes from here but there must be some form of commutation for it to function on DC?

Cheers,

Jacko

More
6 years 2 weeks ago - 6 years 2 weeks ago #192534 by Mrsmackpaul

Pierre wrote: Hi, Got it cleaned up, but still no go at this stage.

Looking through my 1953 workshop manual & supplement manual, there is no mention in either the text, or the electrical schematic drawings showing colour of wires +/- position etc etc. Why would they leave this out?

because it wont matter which way the wires go
Think about it this way if the motor spins clock wise once the wiper arm has half cycled thru its travel ie gone one way it then changes direction with out stopping the motor and heads the other way till it reaches the end of travel that way
So no matter if the motor starts clockwise instead of anti clock wise after the wiper arm has reached the end of its stroke the wiper arm travels the same direction as it would have if the motor was spinning the opposite way

hope that makes sense

Gotta agree with Jacko, I cant see any commutator on the motor either , if it has none maybe the armature is permanent magnet ????
Dunno there is only so much that can be under stood from one photo side on

One thing to consider if you have tested with a test lamp across the coil and the winding's are shorted to the iron core a test lamp wont pick this up and even a multi meter may not pick this up as the resistance may only be a few ohms at the most

So maybe test with the test lamp from the windings to the iron core instead of just across the winding's

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging
Last edit: 6 years 2 weeks ago by Mrsmackpaul.

More
6 years 2 weeks ago #192538 by JMR
Even if the armature was permanent magnet somehow the poles in the field winding would need to be switched for rotation I would think?, I'm thinking it might have some kind of primitive external control circuit, not unlike a more modern brushless DC motor?

All speculation on my part obviously :)

Jacko.

Time to create page: 0.513 seconds