Skip to main content

Rockwell SLHD wheel bearings

More
5 years 10 months ago #193666 by Oilman
When I disassembled the diff the wheel bearings were grease filled. When I went to buy new seals I was told that the second seal was no longer fitted and the wheel bearings are oil filled by the diff oil. All this makes sense, but I can't find anything to confirm this. Just wanted to check if this is true? If so, I think the only thing I need to do is after I fill the diff with oil is to jack up either side of the axle to allow oil to fill the hubs and then top up the oil.

1975 Atkinson, 180HP 6LXB Gardner, RTO910, 34000lb Rockwell on camelback

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
5 years 10 months ago #193669 by Swishy
Replied by Swishy on topic Rockwell SLHD wheel bearings
OilMan
gudday m8
yes the ol way was oil in the diff n grease in the wheel hubs with a good seal BTween the 2
nowa days diff oil flows from hub to hub with a huge resevoir of oil in the diff
also the hub have a plug to drain or add oil

yes jack side up to let the oil run thru n go have a wee earned sip or 3 then jack the other side to get oil thru to th@ said n check diff level again

cya
ยง

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

More
5 years 10 months ago #193671 by werkhorse
What we used to do was smear grease on the bearing and FIL the hub up between the Two bearing cups with oil... That way the grease would lube the bearing for the short time before the oil started getting about.... You'd be surprised at how much oil makes it's way out to the hubs from the centre

You might Laugh at me because I'm different, I laugh at you because you're all the same

More
5 years 10 months ago #193673 by JOHN.K.
The hand pushin plastic unit type are fantastic.......they get around all kinds of housing damage,and seal perfectly..........I once forgot a inner bearing,pulled the seal out,which is a no-no,refitted the seal and everything worked perfectly.......But when they start to leak,theyrs worn out,and will flood oil in short order.....I reckon they are the biggest improvement in trucks since the horse and cart days.

Time to create page: 0.466 seconds