Skip to main content

bedford k 6 volt to 12volt conversion

More
5 years 10 months ago #193757 by Richard Salter BedfordK
John , very interesting what you say about the generator . Are you saying there are 3. Brushes on these old generators . Is the “extra “ brush to excite the field or something , henc3cwhy they can be 12 24 or whatever . I haven’t looked closely at mine , nor have I had the starter out for a while .
Certainly I have already had the fear that the starter is kaput .. let’s hope not

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
5 years 10 months ago #193759 by Richard Salter BedfordK
Fill , you are too kind . I will seriously keep your offer in mnd . My intention at this stage is to get the motor running , and able to be started periodically to keep it healthy . If I do convert to 12 volts , I would probably fit an alternator to get away from the old mechanical regulator as fitted . I really do like your fitting of the alternator . Any particular reason you chose this Bosch alternator ? And did you make the brackets ..... nice job

More
5 years 10 months ago #193777 by JOHN.K.
The third brush provides voltage regulation....this is an earlier system that only needs a cutout coil in the controll unit...Just one coil......some of the early ones had the cutout in the end of the generator...So called CVC came in late 30s/WW2 period. Current controll was often provided by having a multiposition switch that increased charge rate in winter /or with the lights on........If you only use it ocassionally,than invest in a little solar battery charger,dont cost much in comparison to battery replacement.

More
5 years 10 months ago #193785 by Fill
Hi Richard I took the old gen to a auto electrician. He put the old pulley wheel on a reconditioned alternator I just said I wanted a good one. I said I might run a electric blanket ( for the wife ) a fridge ( for me ) Yes I fitted it. The bracket at the bottom, the bolt has a sleeve on it so you can pull it up tight. The steel plate at the top extends the adjusting height so the adjusting arm can go on a lower bolt on the engine. It would have been so easy to bolt on to one of the water pump bolts ( not a good idea to use a water pump bolt fixing ) Cheers Fill

More
5 years 10 months ago #193805 by JOHN.K.
Dont go for too many amps with an alternator......the 85 amp ones screech a single belt....With a self regulated Alternator,you only really need one wire to the battery.....most have two for the charge light......You can find good alternators for $20 no trouble.....but you must use the negative earth the alt is made for......Positive earth systems had something to do with battery terminal corrosion.....the WW2 GMC 6x6s changed from pos to neg ,about 1943....quite confusing.Lot of British stuff changed over in 1951.

Time to create page: 0.436 seconds