Skip to main content

How to increase speed

More
5 years 6 months ago #196120 by Lang
How to increase speed was created by Lang
Hand in hand with my army semi-trailer project (proceeding well with an original trailer and International KBS 5 in hand but still searching for KS/KBS 6) I am looking for ways to increase the road speed of the prime mover.

I am not really interested in axle or engine changes but looking at gearing.

a) Get an overdrive gearbox - what will fit the bell-housing on an International KS 5 Green Diamond side valve engine (93hp) or Blue Diamond overhead valve (135hp) if I get a KS 6.

b) Get an auxiliary gearbox - Brown Lipe/Spicer or whatever. Remember these are not giant trucks and 600kg Mack boxes are not suitable.

The vast mind bank should be able to come up with some practical and financially sensible ideas. What are the suggestions?

Lang

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
5 years 6 months ago #196122 by Swishy
Replied by Swishy on topic How to increase speed

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lang

More
5 years 6 months ago - 5 years 6 months ago #196124 by JOHN.K.
Replied by JOHN.K. on topic How to increase speed
If youve got a Blue Diamond,then a five speed was fitted as standard,and an OD T34 fits straight on....Incidentally,on top of the old trailer in my yard ,you might have seen a housing.....its an ultra rare R6 Perkins into a AR/ASD 180 housing....And the R6 had the same block and flywheel bolt pattern as a 354....The R6 was only out for a year or so,before being replaced by the 354.......I also fail to see a problem with a heavy Joey box.............the truck is driven empty,so a bit of weight is a big plus safety wise.
Last edit: 5 years 6 months ago by JOHN.K..

More
5 years 6 months ago #196128 by Mrsmackpaul
Replied by Mrsmackpaul on topic How to increase speed
What sort of speed do you get out of one of these jiggers and what sort of speed are aiming for?

This will help to find the best box to suit

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

More
5 years 6 months ago - 5 years 6 months ago #196129 by Lang
Replied by Lang on topic How to increase speed
Paul

I am not sure of the diff ratio of the truck I will be finishing with at this stage and there are 3 possibilities offered by International set out below. I also tried tyre size changes from 7.50 standard to 9.00 which many army ones had on them. Two speed diff ratios are: 5.14/7.15, 5.83/8.11, 6.33/8.81

Speed Changes International KS/KBS 5 with two speed differential Using different ratios and tyre sizes

Ratio in High
RPM@30MPH RPM@50MPH

With 7.50 – 20 tyres 36.8” tall

5.14 1400 2347
5.83 1597 2662
6.33 1734 2890

With 8.25-20 tyres 38.5" tall

5.14 1346 2243
5.83 1586 2544
6.33 1657 2762

With 9.00 – 20 tyres 40.1” tall

5.14 1292 2153
5.83 1465 2442
6.33 1591 2652

If the diff ratios are the high-speed version I can live with that with the big tyres. 2153 seems a nice 50mph/80kph cruising rpm for a side-valve motor. Unfortunately, from what I have seen so far most Australian Inters had lower ratio diffs fitted and 2,400 - 2,700 rpm is starting to get up there for continuous all day running.

I will try to see if I can identify the diff on my new KBS5 but as mentioned I really do not want to modify this to military unless I fail to find a KBS6. I will be faced with a similar ratio problem on the bigger truck anyway.

Lang
Last edit: 5 years 6 months ago by Lang.

More
5 years 6 months ago #196132 by JOHN.K.
I know from experience that a KB5 with a green diamond SV is flat out starting on hills with the 4 sp,crash Warner.....much the same box as a Ford blitz........The early Inter 2 sp Eaton diff was also different from all others,the pinion was front mounted ,and not anything like other eatons...There is one in my scrapheap,or maybe half is gone......I know I salvaged the bronze pins out of it,cause Ive used some of them...........My tip of the day.....never scrap a 2sp Eaton without saving the bronze pins from the planetary......they are the best bronze for bearings you will ever find.

More
5 years 6 months ago #196133 by JOHN.K.
Diff ratio and p/n are stamped on the front of the pinion on all Inter diffs.

More
5 years 6 months ago #196136 by Mrsmackpaul
Replied by Mrsmackpaul on topic How to increase speed
My thoughts are pretty simple

I would look at a Jap box like Isuzu or Toyota Hino etc all have good over drives and full synchro

You could get a custom bell jousing made for not a huge amount or just a sandwich plated

This would make it much more drivable and give you a better road speed

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

More
5 years 6 months ago #196138 by JOHN.K.
The GD 223 wouldnt have the power to pull a trailer at 80kph on the flat.....The ohv 269 BD is a lot more powerful,but must be getting rare nowdays.......last one I saw was an old Coke Cola truck I cut up for scrap forty years ago.

More
5 years 6 months ago #196140 by 180wannabe
Replied by 180wannabe on topic How to increase speed
I tend to think a side valve green diamond wouldn't comfortably handle anything more than the fitting of 9.00x20 tyres.

Time to create page: 0.556 seconds