Skip to main content

How to increase speed

More
5 years 6 months ago #196142 by Lang
Replied by Lang on topic How to increase speed
I think you might be right about gearing a Green Diamond too high.

A saving grace is the two speed axle.

lang

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
5 years 6 months ago #196145 by asw120
Replied by asw120 on topic How to increase speed
Not strictly original, but I'm thinking a 6-281 would drop straight in for a quick power up, if required. This would pull somewhat higher gearing than standard. Will sit on 2500 revs all day.
Would be easily reverted to standard when you're done.

Jarrod.

“I offer my opponents a bargain: if they will stop telling lies about us, I will stop telling the truth about them”

― Adlai E. Stevenson II

More
5 years 6 months ago - 5 years 6 months ago #196149 by Lang
Yes Jarrod but where do I get one with enough life left for a drive to Darwin and back. Gearbox? Any suggestions as to ease of fitting a 281 welcome.

If I am going to rebuild an engine may as well do the original for future sale. The current one seems OK.

My 230 Dodge engine cost $6,000 to rebuild. Jeeps are around $5,000 now. The Inter would be more than I paid for the whole truck.

Lang
Last edit: 5 years 6 months ago by Lang.

More
5 years 6 months ago #196156 by Murray
Replied by Murray on topic How to increase speed
Lang , my experiences with my KB5S ...for what it's worth.
I have done 32.000 mls over the last 25 years on truck shows,camping trips etc. It will drive all day at 70 to 75 kph, but if you try to maintain a higher speed it will be driving it flat out on many occasions and is too hard on the motor.
8.25 x 20 is as tall as you want to go with the rubber, even then any little rise becomes hard work. The fact is that they just haven't got enough power for more gearing . Fitting another Inter motor is not as easy as some would have you believe, the GD motor is 2 1/2" shorter than most of the others so you would have to move the Trans. mount back ( I have done the measurements), and the cooling would also become a problem with the extra power generated. I have looked at exactly the same problem you are working on and came to the conclusion I just needed to drive it at the speed it was designed to do, and I've had lots of fun in it just the same, just taken a little longer than the others to get there. Don't forget...you have to stop it too.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lang, asw120

More
5 years 6 months ago #196159 by asw120
Replied by asw120 on topic How to increase speed
I had been led to believe a 6-281 was a near bolt in fit. Seems not. (They do use all the same crank bearings!)
Suggestion based on the apparent commonness of good used ones.

Jarrod.

“I offer my opponents a bargain: if they will stop telling lies about us, I will stop telling the truth about them”

― Adlai E. Stevenson II

More
5 years 6 months ago #196160 by Lang
Murray

Great information from the horse's mouth. Exactly what I wanted!

As everyone suspected, it is all very well putting a 200kph diff under the back or giant overdrive, the squirrel on the wheel is just not strong enough to turn it.

I think I will work to get this KBS 5 up to a nice everyday truck, leaving the tipper etc in place and continue to look for a KS/KBS 6. Although I would love an 80kph cruise, if nothing turns up I am happy to go with the slower speed. I have driven my Dodge Weapon Carrier family, Blitz, GMC's and vintage cars maybe 150,000km at 70/75kph (and sometimes much less) all over Australia and overseas and can quite happily sit there waving to the cyclists as they pull out to pass you.

But the truest thing I ever saw was "You never have enough power until you can leave two continuous black lines from the start of the straight all the way to the braking area at the far end"

Lang

More
5 years 6 months ago #196163 by JOHN.K.
Replied by JOHN.K. on topic How to increase speed
The early Inters used a strange front engine mount under the waterpump,and might need a front crossmember installed for the under timing cover mount of a 281....I cant remember details exactly,but my old man had a K5 with a later 240 ohv fitted,which has the same block length as a 281...And is drilled the same on the rear face for the housing.He also replaced the crash box with a T98,so thats a direct swap too.

Time to create page: 0.536 seconds