Skip to main content

Any help identifying year of origin?

More
5 years 5 months ago - 5 years 5 months ago #197109 by Dave_64
Hi All,
Been searching off and on for quite some time now trying to pin down the year of manufacture of this project.
Visited Vicroads with every number I could come up with to no avail.
Neither the rego or the chassis/engine # comes up on their records.
Have emailed away to the Commer club in UK, several times also unsuccessfully.
Couple of old Karrier Bantams rusting away in paddocks around here, but earlier split windscreen models, slightly different interior.
Few blokes who may know a bit about them seem to think that it came from the 1956-1960 era. Tried narrowing it down by the etch marks on the windscreen, that points to 1964. But always the possibility/probability of a replacement screen. Other cabin glass either has no etch marks or is unreadable.
No longer have the 4 cylinder petrol engine, but as I said, that meant nothing to Vicroads anyway.
Will try and add a few pics in the hope that someone may be able to nail it down, or perhaps coming up with another clue to identification.
Tags on engine cover, passenger side read as follows :- BLSP (found out that means British Light Steel Pressings) who made the cab. KB 21588
Other plate reads Engine/Chassis # 74A8283.
Just add that originally this unit came out with the 13" wheels/tyres.
Any clues appreciated, thanks.
That rego, KDR 434 didn't come up on Vicroads computer either. Girl in our local office had records going back to early eighties but no further. Other thing is it came from a deceased estate on a cockies farm, so could have been languishing out there for quite some time
Dave_64

Attachments:
Last edit: 5 years 5 months ago by Dave_64. Reason: addition

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
5 years 5 months ago #197110 by JOHN.K.
There is a Rootes Trust,or similar in England seems to have all the old Rootes group records etc.They are car orientated,but your Commer might be a goer with them.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dave_64

More
5 years 5 months ago #197114 by JOHN.K.
According to my general truck repair book,the number is 57/58......most likely 58....with a 4 cyl 2260 cc ohv motor and Borg Warner 4sp box.

More
5 years 5 months ago #197115 by Dave_64
Thanks, John.K.
Looked up that site, but telling me that it's currently unattended.
Gleaned a couple of loosely related links, so have sent off an email, see what developes.
Dave

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
5 years 5 months ago #197116 by Swishy
Cogz
gudday m8

twaz think n
me no eye shouldn't do th@
Butt
bin thinkn
bout time we seen sum smoke or noize from the exhaustm pipe

cya

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

More
5 years 5 months ago #197117 by Dave_64
Swishy, things go slowly, have a heap of excuses! Just out of winter recess and then hit with Spring Racing carnival. Have to get priorities in order. Go out once a month or so and give her a bit of a tick over. Come to think of it, probably getting a bit close to Xmas now, maybe a New Years resolution??

More
5 years 5 months ago #197118 by wee-allis
Dave, there is an historic car club in Victoria who have access to all Vic Roads rego records up to, I think, the '70s. All they need is the engine or chassis number and for a small fee they can search the records and give you all the Victorian rego history. I read about it in the Restored Cars magazine some months ago. I can try to locate the correct issue and check it for you or perhaps you could contact the Editor in Castlemaine and they should be able to help if I draw a blank. Steve.

More
5 years 5 months ago #197119 by Dave_64
Steve,
Would be much appreciated if you could lay your hands on an address, or even a link.
Thanks, Dave

More
5 years 5 months ago #197120 by Dave_64
Ah! Narrowing it down. Engine type and capacity tallies with my drivers handbook (very sketchy on details), but transmission maybe not so well defined, but will go with Borg-Warner until shown otherwise.
Thanks, John.K.

More
5 years 5 months ago #197121 by bparo
try www.aomc.asn.au . It's the Association of Motoring Clubs based in Victoria - it deals with all sorts of hobby vehicles

Having lived through a pandemic I now understand all the painting of fat people on couches!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dave_64

Time to create page: 0.496 seconds