Skip to main content

Any help identifying year of origin?

More
5 years 5 months ago #197156 by Dave_64
Just on the above queries, Bedford4home said he thinks the actual rego would place it around 1968 or 1969.
IF the vehicle was ORIGINALLY purchased by Parks & Gardens (or some other local council or similar) prior to this, maybe it had local govt. rego? Seemed to be popular at the time with an all steel tipper body low to the ground, garbage trucks etc??

I remember chasing up another rego on a Jeep many years ago, in somewhat similar circumstances, and it was sold at the old government auctions at I think it was Tottenham and was sold with the plates removed.
It was re-registered with plates that began with KYA, so perhaps that may also the apparent difference between the rego and the actual build date??
Maybe someone can confirm thats how it was done in the day?
I have asked AOMC to see what they can find out.
Not exactly a rivet counter but getting a definite build date helps immensely when it comes to parts etc (if you can find them).
A few little things don't quite click with the drivers handbook I was lucky to get hold of. Handbook shows that they came out standard with 6.50X16" wheels and tyres. (ones around here as well as mine had 6.00X13"). Also handbook shows engine fitted with alternator (mine had a generator), plus dash layout slightly different.
Handbook also shows two different engines, the 4:203 and a smaller 0160 engine (possibly a BMC engine) as well as the 2260 OHV Humber petrol engine.
If I could nail down when they (Rootes Karrier) went from the split windscreen cab to the one piece like mine, may help a bit.
Seems they kept the same cab up until the demise of Rootes, with only small external cosmetic changes, position of indicators, marker lights, badges etc. British Light Steel Pressings who made the cabs went the way of button up boots sometime in the sixties I was told, maybe Karrier had a stock of old cabs or bought the pressing dies, who would know.
Give me something to do, looking into it.
Cheers, Dave

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
5 years 5 months ago - 5 years 5 months ago #197157 by JOHN.K.
The one piece windscreen came in on Commers in 1958/59 production...........the Standard diesel engine was also far more common in Ferguson tractors....it was a terrible motor,and very subject to cracked heads and failed bigends..Easily identified,as the injectors are held in by a sort of clamp with four bolts.The Perkins was also an option..........the chassis no you quote is listed in my book as petrol,74A series starting in 1955 at 0001.Unfortunately my book only goes up to 1958.depending on sales ,I estimated yours at 1958/59,but Pommy makers had a habit of sending old unsold stock to Aus,so it might have been sold a bit later here......the "light" diesel was also used in the diesel Vanguard.........edit...I see a claim on wiki that the F series went thru to 1963,so your 1964 windscreen may be correct......
Last edit: 5 years 5 months ago by JOHN.K..
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dave_64

More
5 years 4 months ago #197393 by Dave_64
Found out a bit more about this, may possibly be of some value if someone else trying to do something similar.
Contacted AOMC as suggested, gave them all the info I had, Eng#, Chassis#, Body build # etc.
Costs $80 and they did a search, which narrowed it down somewhat, (well, at least within a two year period).
Seems back in the bad old days, a lot of details were simply written by hand onto a card filing system, and kept at Vicroads central repositry. As is wont to happen with best laid plans etc, a lot of files pre 1980's went either missing, misplaced, turfed out or whatever.
Mine was one of such, but they (AOMC) did a bit of digging and came up with another Eng and Chassis# that wasn't all that far away from mine. But what threw a spanner in the works was that they came up with a different rego # than what I had, the only thing they could come up with is the vehicle went through a period of NO rego, reasons undislosed.
Approached Vicroads with the alternate # and it shows up on their records as being a Datsun, again no reason given. Could have been anything, rego not paid and let lapse, number plates "jacked-up", you would never know.
Showed Vicroads a copy of the letter from AOMC, they told me that if I had a bill of sale (I have), a current roadworthy, attach a copy of the AOMC letter and even bring in whatever handbooks I had, they couldn't see a problem (about eventually getting it re-registered).
As the Vicroads bloke told me, once you fill out the Application for Registration, you are virtually signing a Statutory Declaration anyway.
Bottom line to it all is that going by what we have gleaned so far, vehicle was imported/registered somewhere between 07/04/1963 and 12/08/1964, which is a few years later than I thought, but does tie in with the etch marks on the windscreen glass (which at first I took to be a replacement screen).
As I said, may help someone else out (in Victoria, anyway- don't know if other states have similar search options), so if your having a bit of grief tracking down the vintage of a project, there are options for you.
Which only goes to prove just how invaluable some of the larger manufacturers Line setting tickets, or Build sheets are.
Dave

Time to create page: 0.454 seconds