Skip to main content

Lorry gets his new head lining

More
5 years 3 months ago - 5 years 3 months ago #198072 by Lang
Replied by Lang on topic Lorry gets his new head lining
I just finished my 1941 Dodge 1/2 ton pick-up and decided to insulate it.

Looked at Dynamat and found I would have to mortgage the house to pay for it.

By coincidence a couple of years ago I was wandering around in Bunnings and saw some silver "flashing" in the roofing/plumbing section.

It comes in rolls of various widths ranging from 50mm to 600mm wide. Careful inspection showed it to be a Dynamat clone. Strong silver foil outside, rubber foam backing with a seriously sticky bottom surface with a peel-off sheet. About 1/3 the cost of Dynamat.

As it had worked great on my Carryall, I bought some and did everything, including inside the door panels and firewall, on the roof and floor. Great stuff to work with as it will stretch and bend to cover various lumps and bumps. You have to be a bit careful as a gentle misplacement can be pulled off but if you accidentally press it the glue is so strong it will tear the rubber apart trying to lift it off. I found any mistakes better to leave and just run a second layer in the correct place over the top of the offending edge.

The difference in noise in what was originally quite a noisy vehicle (transmission, bar tread tyres and only a bit of cardboard on the firewall) is nothing short of amazing and it is easily as quiet, if not better, than my Nissan Patrol Ute.

Here is a photo of the Bunnings flashing I used on my old 1942 Dodge Carryall - with the same good results I have obtained on my new Pickup. This matting had been subject to a couple of years hard use including regular hosing out to get the mud out after runs. No sign of lifting or peeling.

Lang
Attachments:
Last edit: 5 years 3 months ago by Lang.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, Mairjimmy, PaulFH, Southbound

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
5 years 3 months ago #198073 by Blackduck59
Had read the same thing on US forums, only thing to watch is some were Bitumen
based and tended to smell a bit when heated.
I did use some 100mm wide flashing on the rear cab wall between the pressed grooves. Was a grey colour with ally backing.
Works well to take the resonance out of the panels.
Cheers Steve

More
5 years 3 months ago #198075 by Dodgeydude
Can I put in a vote for a product called SilentStep
www.pyroteknc.com/products/silentstep/silentstep/
I used it in my house and had plenty left over. Put some onto the previously bare steel floor and transformed the truck into a limousine (slight exaggeration). Not only reduced the heat and vibration but I can actually hear the wireless. Don't need to put anything on top, that rubber is tuff and sorta looks ariginal :silly: Not sure I would pressure clean it though, probably hold the water for a while.
Really heavy so probably cheaper to buy some rather than try to post it. I got a truck load cheap on Bay.

Many useful things fall off trucks
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog

More
5 years 3 months ago #198086 by cobbadog
Interesting stuff there Dodgy. Never gave that a second thought. Is it available at carpet stores or only online?

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.

More
5 years 3 months ago #198089 by Dodgeydude
So I should declare that I was a carpet layer in a former life and had some knowledge of this stuff. Very rarely used in domestic situation as it is relatively expensive and most people want cheapest. I doubt that many carpet stores would stock it but some may be willing to buy in for you. I doubt you can buy directly from wholesaler but could be worth a call. It is very heavy (8kg/m2) to handle and freight I suspect.
While doing a search for a stockist near you (fail !) I came across this.
www.arthurrubberfoam.com/pdf/industrialcatalogue.pdf
Fair warning, think carefully before opening the link :unsure: It is full of stuff that we could use and an hour of drooling could be the price. It is POA for SilentStep though. Maybe the price is too scary for them even :blush:

Many useful things fall off trucks
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, Lang

More
5 years 3 months ago #198092 by Blackduck59
www.clarkrubber.com.au/formshield
Clark rubber product, may have changed a little as they list as 10mm thick, the stuff I have is closer to 12mm
Cheers Steve

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog

More
5 years 3 months ago - 5 years 3 months ago #198093 by Lang
Replied by Lang on topic Lorry gets his new head lining
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationMy grandson used this on his ute and it did a great job. Quite a bit thicker than the Bunnings stuff and multi heatproof layer as well I think it is a fantastic price.

Last edit: 5 years 3 months ago by Lang.

More
5 years 3 months ago #198101 by cobbadog
1.25 hours lost

More
5 years 3 months ago #198231 by cobbadog
Bought a huge syringe and needle recently and filled it with glue this morning. Took all my strength to squeeze the standard ccontact cement through the needle but I got it done. It sure looks better but still not perfect but good enough.
Also check measured hte under side of the cab around the engine bay for the insulation. Ordered a roll of stuff which is 6mm thick with aluminium on one side then a foam stuff that is heat resistant, waterproof and sounds as well and then the sticky side to bond to the floor. So next is to do a small welding job to trepair a crack in the floor where a seat bolt attaches.

More
5 years 3 months ago - 5 years 3 months ago #198260 by cobbadog
This is how it turned out. It took a lot of doing to squeeze the glue out but it did eventually get enough out to work.
What you see now are the ribs that are pressed into the roof.

Attachments:
Last edit: 5 years 3 months ago by cobbadog.
The following user(s) said Thank You: IHScout

Time to create page: 0.596 seconds