Skip to main content

Air conditioning for the older trucks

More
5 years 3 months ago #197976 by cobbadog
Hi Guys,
Lately i have been considering putting air conditioning into Lorry our 1991 FC144 Hino.
I heard that there was a system that fits onto the roof and is a self contained unit and only requires a 12v/24v power supply to be ran to it and away you go. Sounded simple but it is not. First you apparently need a bank of batteries and secondly they tell me that it cannot be used while driving along it is considered to be a "parking unit" for when you pull over for your sleep.
I am not about to fit a Viesa unit just on price alone but they are based on the old evaporator units that drip water on a condensor and cools the air but you are advised to have a window open by about 30mm to get rid of the moist air. This I feel defeats the purpose so now I am wondering if an under dash unit is available to be installed.

Does anyone have any helpful tips on a system that will work for our application please?

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
5 years 3 months ago #197977 by JOHN.K.
You cant really get much effect without an engine driven compressor..............if you can find a old car or tractor unit that doesnt leak gas.........new .condensers are the expensive part........then you need a gas fill..........the Govt gas laws have cut out the cheap regas.......so you dont want leaks.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog

More
5 years 3 months ago #197979 by IHScout
Google vintage air Australia and you will find suppliers of under dash units made for older vehicles. It will cost you $1500 to $2000 but the missus will appreciate it. Before you do that though, check out how much heat is coming up through the floor of your cab. Maybe some extra insulation will take the edge off the heat.

Dennis

More
5 years 3 months ago #197981 by cobbadog
Dee supports and shares our hobby of tractors, engines and mowers and will enjoy the comfort of an a/c unit.
I have already been researching and sourcing some new insulation for under the cab around the engine bay. The original aluminium insulation foil is almost gone but the new stuff is about 10mm thick and has the aluminium to act as a heat shield and is not expensive about $55.00 for 3 metres square. I will have a small welding job to do there first as one of the drivers seat mounting bolts has fractures around the bolt so I want to sort that out as well.

Thanks for the heads up about Vintage Air, I forgot about them.

More
5 years 3 months ago #197988 by jeffo
A mate had an Audi ?? back in the 1990's and its aircon was battery powered. Worked fine in a car, but truck's heat load would be far greater.
Once upon a time, we fitted roof mounted aircons on cane locos. Some ran engine compressors others direct drive 24V units.
Can't remember the name of the aircon, they were a pretty hopeless bunch. Nice looking unit, all stainless.
No one ever went to sealed units for some reason, the compressors were direct driven automotive style. The motor was permanent magnet which was a brand new concept back then, very efficient.
These days with electronic motor controllers, I imagine they'd be the ducks nuts.

More
5 years 3 months ago #198002 by JOHN.K.
Kysor was one name I remember..............a/c compressor takes a couple of HP,so it would have pretty high current draw.....When i worked on the deathtraps,sorry busses,the owner tried everything to get around needing a 400amp alternator......but the diesel motors had to be run all the time,or the batteries would go flat....which meant huge pools of black oil running out under the buses.......

More
5 years 3 months ago #198003 by cobbadog
Sounds like the Audi unit was perfect for the Swiss Alps not for Australia.

More
5 years 3 months ago #198004 by Lang
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationThis is more than enough for any truck cab (so long as you block the holes in the floor)

:

More
5 years 3 months ago #198009 by lower yp sth aust

More
5 years 3 months ago #198012 by overnite
I have red dot on the back wall of my truck, awesome on 40+ days. But is run of truck engine, not a fully 12v system

Time to create page: 0.433 seconds