Skip to main content

Air conditioning for the older trucks

More
5 years 3 months ago - 5 years 3 months ago #198063 by Mairjimmy

Seen on Face Book

Time to get up andd get going.......todays bad decisions aren't going to make themselves!!!
Attachments:
Last edit: 5 years 3 months ago by Mairjimmy. Reason: to add a couple of words
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, Southbound

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
5 years 3 months ago #198084 by 600Dodge
I wouldn't be too keen on those clamps, or be sure of their legality as far as ARC is concerned and I wouldn't be at all surprised if you had trouble finding someone to gas it. If I was in this position I would probably try to buy the kit minus hoses and mount all the components then pay someone to supply/make/fit the hosing and then gas it, it probably wouldn't be much more expensive.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog

More
5 years 3 months ago #198113 by mercskeepmeinajob
These Atco Air o Crimps are fine and meet Au Standards so long as the hose, fittings and crimpers are used. Makes the older style Atco crimper I've got, made redundant, another $800 down the drain.

More
5 years 3 months ago #198122 by cobbadog
I received a quote from AER today confirming price for the 24v system delivered and was just under $2200.00. Then plus gasing which will not be a problem as I have already asked the local bloke if he would do it and if the crimped hosing was ok and he has no issues with it at all.
So I can will take Lorry into town for him to confirm that the kit will be ok for install.

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.

More
5 years 3 months ago #198232 by cobbadog
The AER system is still high on the list but a mate claims that the Dometic RTX 2000 will be a better option. Big problem as far as I can tell is that the Dometic is called a ''parking cooler" only and some say is only for when your parked up and not to be used when driving along the road. It is a totally self contained unit all in a box and only requires a 24v power source to be operational. A price for the Dometic is around $2560.00

More
5 years 3 months ago #198246 by Mairjimmy
Did your mate know of the unit been used while mobile he be your best bet to quiz about it l haven't heard or seen them other than just Googled it now, might be a goer but you would need to examine it a bit further

Time to get up andd get going.......todays bad decisions aren't going to make themselves!!!

More
5 years 3 months ago #198264 by cobbadog
Yes he was in contact with a bloke from Pearsons Transport who are supposed to be installing them.
Another supplier is Webasto or Webasco and also Red Dot which is a Webasto unit modified for the earth moving industry.
Hopefully he will chase up Dometic this week to confirm its use as being a completelyt self contained unit there will be minimal loss of HP when running as opposed to running a compressor off the engine. I do realise that some loss of power may occur from the drag of electricity. Approximate draw of power is 8.5 amps from memory.

More
5 years 3 months ago - 5 years 3 months ago #198266 by Eddy

Swishy wrote: Can a Leyland get to 60

yep! ... MPH even ...

My lil' Terrier touched 130 overtaking a muppet towin a caravan. Bartsage had insisted on accelerating ever time I tried to overtake and then drop back to 85-90 when I backed off.
Waited my time 'til we got to a spot I knew would work, got a bit of a run up from 1/2 a km behind, and went past him like he was standing still.
:evil: (Then dropped back and gave him 10 kms of his own medicine) :whistle:

Checked back through the GPS trip comp and showed max speed of 129.6 for 1.3 kms.

.... oh ...
and ...
I have an old underdash unit near ready to final fit. Biggest hassle is finding somewhere to hang the compressor. Normal spot in the car version of this engine is occupied by the air compressor for brakes.

Be it firearms or V8 engines, the question is not "why should you have them?"
, but "who are you to demand that I justify them?"
Last edit: 5 years 3 months ago by Eddy.

More
5 years 3 months ago #198273 by 600Dodge
Ive fitted those dometics to underground refuge chambers, they are pretty weak, need a pretty large hole to mount the unit through a panel and need a pretty hefty amperage 24V supply.

More
4 months 1 week ago #249564 by Bluey60
Hi All

Looking to rebuild/retrofit the air conditioner in a Deutz tractor was thinking one of the underdash units would work the current evaporator unit sits on top of the dash thought I could fit one into the same housing
Just wondering if anyone has fitted one and how they performed

Cheers Bluey

Time to create page: 0.516 seconds