Skip to main content

Old Truck, Modern Engine

More
5 years 2 months ago #198922 by Urchy87
Hey.

Have been wanting to start a project for a while but things got delayed due to life. Now in a spot where I can start to get it happening again so it’s back to the planning board.

I have been wondering what modern engines people put in old trucks e.g Toyota 1VD-FTV (Landcruiser V8 engine) etc. Maybe it’s just not the done thing. I’d be looking at doing something 60’s or 70’s, 5 to 8 tonne’ish and using it primarily as a toy hauler. Happy to hear that it’s a not the best idea and just too hard to achieve.

I’ve attached a photo of the toy it will haul incase you were curious.

Thanks
Urchy87

Adventure before Dementia.
Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
5 years 2 months ago #198923 by Blackduck59
Where are the LE rims?

More
5 years 2 months ago #198925 by Urchy87
Replied by Urchy87 on topic Old Truck, Modern Engine
In the boot. Paints cracked.

More
5 years 2 months ago #198939 by IHScout
Replied by IHScout on topic Old Truck, Modern Engine
Urchy, the main problem that you face is that most trucks pre-1980 were built for an 80kph maximum speed, so brakes and diff ratios aren't really up to spec for a bigger HP modern engine. If you search on here you find dozens of queries from members asking how to make their old banger go faster. There is no magic bullet, and always the question of whether steering, brakes and suspension are up to the job. A few have also considered the option of an old cab on a modern chassis but then you can run into problems with ADRs, because the cabin must comply with the ADRs that go with the modern chassis. You best option might be a 1980's chassis (least restrictive ADRs), earlier cab (more retro looking), and later engine, but you're starting to talk the sort of money that would buy you a good late model F350, tandem trailer, and change for fuel.

Dennis

More
5 years 2 months ago - 5 years 2 months ago #198940 by Lang
Replied by Lang on topic Old Truck, Modern Engine
Here are 100 ideas

www.pinterest.com.au/tuffgrafx/haulers-transporters/?lp=true

A few more here

And this is the coolest one ever!

Attachments:
Last edit: 5 years 2 months ago by Lang.

More
5 years 2 months ago #198941 by Lang
What about this. Photo says 2009 but it is currently on sale in Just Cars for $17,500.

Attachments:

More
5 years 2 months ago #198942 by Lang
And what about this. Perkins already fitted - they claim 125kmh!

www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/lonsdale/cars-va...tow-truck/1209795673

Attachments:

More
5 years 2 months ago #198945 by JOHN.K.
Replied by JOHN.K. on topic Old Truck, Modern Engine
Most are looking at the NSW and VIC logbook schemes.........unfortunately the days of having a VIC special interest rego for a AL Inter with a big block and a 6/71 blower up thru the bonnet are over.......I believe this was the "business model" of Senator Ricky Muir and his mates ......rego on outrageous modifieds............now you are going to need to pass a club inspection for a "substantially original motor and trans"..........this doesnt prevent a full rego on the horse float shown.......but there will be a yearly inspection to modern truck standard........and cost.

More
5 years 2 months ago #198947 by Urchy87
Replied by Urchy87 on topic Old Truck, Modern Engine
Sounds like the powers at be have taken all the fun out of it. Will just keep it simple I guess, saves money. Time to decide what platform I’d like to work off. Thanks.

More
5 years 2 months ago #198948 by JOHN.K.
Replied by JOHN.K. on topic Old Truck, Modern Engine
There are two trucks come to mind that go someway.......une is the last of the Bedfords that had a V8 Holden motor,and also the small D series Fords had a 302 V8........if petrol engines are your thing.I cant imagine that you re keen on full electonic management...................Other V8 s that are harder to find new engines for are the late 70s IH s and Dodges...............probably a Dodge D5N with a 318 would be my pick,if I wanted petrol.

Time to create page: 0.515 seconds