Skip to main content

Old Truck, Modern Engine

More
5 years 2 months ago #198951 by Urchy87
Replied by Urchy87 on topic Old Truck, Modern Engine
Had an Inter C1820 with a 345 V8 petrol lined up but couldn’t collect it before they sold the property so it ended up going to the scrap yard. I’m a sucker for the sound of a V8.

Adventure before Dementia.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
5 years 2 months ago #198953 by 600Dodge
Replied by 600Dodge on topic Old Truck, Modern Engine
LS is the way to go, the 4.5 diesel Toyota V8 would be a gutless slug in any sort of truck.

More
5 years 2 months ago #198954 by Lang
Replied by Lang on topic Old Truck, Modern Engine
John

He can register a modified vehicle on the Victorian section under the Hotrod banner.

The following information should assist ASRF members with arranging either Full Registration or Club Permit log book status for their ASRF-eligible vehicle.

Cars that are deemed essentially standard require only a current RWC.

Car modified beyond VicRoads standard VSI 8 “Guide to Modifications for Motor Vehicles” also require a VASS Engineers report.

View VSI 8

Anyone holding a Victorian driver’s licence can obtain full registration for their modified car or street rod in Victoria. No club affiliation is required.

Full registration for private motor cars costs around $700-$750 per year.

The Club Permit System is popular with those who use their older cars less often.

To have access to VicRoads 45 and 90 day Club Permit (Log Book) system you need to be a member of an Approved Club (in our case the Australian Street Rod Federation).

To be eligible the car must be at least 25 years old.

There are no restrictions to when or where you can drive on Club Permit plates to anywhere in Australia (except WA where a local permit is required)

More
5 years 2 months ago - 5 years 2 months ago #198955 by Lang
In NSW it is a bit more restrictive but quite doable. He must get a pre-49 Chassis and body or a replica -but the rest is open slather.

Vehicle requirements
A street rod is a vehicle that has been modified for safe road use and that:
Has a body and frame that were built before 1949, or
Is a replica of a vehicle the body and frame of which were built before 1949
Applications must be accompanied by a Street Rod Declaration authorised by a member of NSW Street Rod Committee, together with a safety inspection report (valid for 42 days) before establishing or renewing a registration
The registered operator must be a financial member of a club affiliated with the Australian Street Rod Federation, or recognised by NSW Street Rod Committee, and a NSW resident
Vehicles can only be used for events organised and officially documented by an approved NSW Street Rod Club and/or sanctioned by Australian Street Rod Federation
Equipment requirements
All lighting must be fitted as near as possible to the position specified in Schedule 2 of the Road Transport (Vehicle Registration) Regulation 2017 for light vehicles or Schedule 2 of the Heavy Vehicle (Vehicle Standards) National Regulation (NSW) for heavy vehicles.

Equipment Daylight/floodlit use 24 hour use
Amber rotating beacon No No
Brake and turn lights Yes Yes
Headlights, tail, number plate and clearance lights Yes Yes
Rear reflectors Yes Yes
Rear and side reflective tape No No
Rear vision mirror(s) Yes Yes
Horn Yes Yes
Conditions
Condition Code
Use only in conjunction with authorised club event or maintenance GO94
Registered operator must be a member of NSW Street Rod approved club OL3
Roads and Maritime Services office use
Code type Code
Vehicle shape SED / WAG / PVW / PVF / COU / CON
Compulsory Third Party insurance class
Conditional registration:
SVEH

Unregistered Vehicle
Permit – USVE

Registration usage PRIV / PNSR
Last edit: 5 years 2 months ago by Lang.

More
5 years 2 months ago #198958 by Lang
This is the full NSW Modified Vehicle scheme. So long as you work with a registered certifier almost anything is possible, but maybe not cheap.
www.rms.nsw.gov.au/roads/registration/ge...ied-nonstandard.html

More
5 years 2 months ago #198960 by Urchy87
I’d happily go LS. Does anyone know
Much about QLD legislation on this sort of thing? I will search the net a bit tonight and go through what rules and guides I can find. Be handy if someone has already been through it.

More
5 years 2 months ago #198961 by Lang
If you need help with a cheap, really smart Queensland engineer contact me. I have done lots of things with him like putting a V6 Chev and auto in a 1942 Dodge Weapon Carrier, mods on Model T's and lots of others over the years. He has done Perkins in 1943 GMC trucks, Datsun motors in Morris minors, Cummins conversions in OKA's for friends and is the engineer of choice for the hotrod blokes.

Interestingly Richard Larson's previous life was a Chief Design Engineer for Qld Transport writing a lot of the current National ADR's for heavy vehicles. He knows his stuff and is very sensible and practical. I also have another bloke equally as good as a fall back.

Lang

More
5 years 2 months ago #198962 by Urchy87
Cheers Lang. If things progress how I’d like them too, chances are I will be in touch.

More
5 years 2 months ago #198967 by JOHN.K.
Replied by JOHN.K. on topic Old Truck, Modern Engine
There is no logbook scheme in Qld,doesnt look as though there ever will be either,cause Qld TMR is too mean,so there is little point with vintage trucks ,cause you cant use them. as you plan.........ergo....you are going to be paying full rego ,and yearly or 2 yearly inspections if over 4500 gross.,no matter what.......so get something semi modern,like 2000 or so..............I also notice in Qld ,after reviewing the logbook scheme,the TMR have tightened up the tiny ammount of use allowable even more.

More
5 years 2 months ago - 5 years 2 months ago #198969 by Lang
John

That is not correct for Qld.

Vintage trucks (pre-89) are registered the same as vintage cars with cheap registration. They do not have to be inspected yearly.

They are restricted to the same regulations re use as the cars which has recently been eased up and are much more free.

The main problem in Qld is a vintage truck can only weigh up to half its GVM. This is ridiculous as it means vehicles such as my old Volvo F86 eight wheeler crane truck can only carry one ton on the back. You can see from my avatar on the left I strictly abide by this restriction (I was stopped at weigh bridges and roadside pads 3 times , once in Qld and twice in NSW, with that load going from Brisbane to Corowa and waved on after log book inspection) A vintage tanker, a tilt tray on a lighter vehicle or heavy crane truck could be over 50% before they start. We have a number of that style of truck in our club and they have had no trouble being registered.

.The other states restrict load not GVM with a couple having no restrictions other than the manufacturer.

Until very recently loads are supposed to have some historic or show relevance to the truck and carrying a classic car met the requirements nicely. This was such a can of worms trying to interpret what was relevant or not eg carrying a wreck that you bought at a swap meet home, they changed the wording just to "load". They may not be used for any commercial carrying purpose.

The wording "May not be used as a means of every day transport" would probably have you in trouble if you picked up two tons of pavers for your next door neighbour's driveway - even for free.

The wording is so loose it would be almost impossible to get a conviction for any reasonable use. The most common sure catch is if you are sprung using the vehicle regularly as a commuter or shopping trolley (even then it could be "testing" or giving it a run for "maintenance") or doing real work or load carrying. I have always found in the many times I have been stopped at roadside checks that the inspectors or police are well disposed to old vehicles. Unless you are blatantly abusing the system or have an obviously unsafe vehicle and do try to operate your vehicle reasonably you will have little trouble with the authorities.

Here are the Qld regs off the Government site.

Special interest vehicle scheme
Conditions and restrictions
You and anyone driving your special interest vehicle must only use the vehicle for:

participating in rallies organised by incorporated vehicle clubs or events sanctioned by the Australia Street Rod Federation (ASRF). Note: a rally is a social event whereby a parade of special interest vehicles travel together for competition or to meet at an agreed location. Rallies are usually listed in a incorporated club newsletter or on the incorporated club’s website or social media page.

participating in processions for which a Special Events Permit has been issued under the Transport Operations (Road Use Management –Accreditation and Other Provisions) Regulation 2015

exhibiting the vehicle in displays, fetes or similar functions conducted for religious, charitable or educational purposes

ceremonial purposes (such as weddings, formals, funerals) involving immediate and de facto family members, or as part of a sanctioned incorporated club event, provided this is not done for fee or reward. Immediate and de facto family means parents, grandparents, sons, daughters, grandchildren, adopted children and adopted grandchildren, but not extended family members such as aunts, uncles, nephews and nieces

preparing for, proceeding to, and returning from the above activities

direct travel to and from an approved inspection station to get a safety certificate or certificate of inspection before offering the vehicle for sale
travel in order to have the vehicle repaired. There is no distance restriction, however such travel must be reasonable and justifiable by the vehicle operator

road testing within a 15km radius from the place where the vehicle is garaged or is being repaired. The purpose of the travel must be to road test the vehicle following repair or restoration, or for general vehicle maintenance and not for any other purpose. This does not include use as an everyday means of transport. A passenger may travel in your vehicle to assist with road testing—only if your vehicle can legally carry passengers.

Buses are permitted to carry non-fare paying passengers for journeys (joy-rides) from an event (for example, a fete) and return provided the length of the journey does not exceed 5km. Payment of any kind cannot be received for these journeys.

Heavy vehicles over 4.5t GVM are permitted to carry a load provided the loaded GVM or gross combination mass (GCM) does not exceed 50% of the maximum permitted mass for the vehicle configuration. This mass is based on the lesser of:

Individual axle ratings
Tyre manufacturer's limits
Manufacturer's GVM or GCM
Regulation mass limits.

If your special interest vehicle does not have permanent lighting, you must carry a removable lighting system with the vehicle at all times and use that system whenever lighting would normally be required. Carbide lights are acceptable where that type of light was originally fitted.

Last edit: 5 years 2 months ago by Lang.

Time to create page: 0.562 seconds