Skip to main content

Old Truck, Modern Engine

More
5 years 2 months ago #198970 by JOHN.K.
Replied by JOHN.K. on topic Old Truck, Modern Engine
Lang,that is a lot different from what I have read.............for instance ,SIVS rego ,outside the 15 km radius ,must be on a 'rally'...........and proof needs to be carried that the "rally' has been notified to TMR by your clubs authorized officer beforehand,and your vehicle must carry a "club newsletter ,or printed Email" with details ............as I see it ,tolerant coppers goes so far ,until you get the odd one who will enforce the letter of the law ...........Also ,there is a defacto yearly inspection,held by the club,who are responsible for vehicle condition of SIVS vehicles registered under their club membership.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
5 years 2 months ago - 5 years 2 months ago #198972 by Lang
Replied by Lang on topic Old Truck, Modern Engine
John

There are all sorts of experts out there paranoid about the government. They all know someone's cousin's next door neighbour who was dragged from his Model T Ford by the NSW police and flogged with 40 lashes at the side of the road for having a broken tail light.

The ONLY thing that stands up when making a decision about this are the very clear and simple written regulations on the Government web site. I have seen so much opinion written as fact in club magazines over the years I am inclined to think much is not worth the paper it is written on.

I am not aware of any compulsory annual club inspection in Qld and I have belonged to 3 of them for more than 30 years and never have had fewer than 3 special interest registrations continuously during that period. I know a couple of clubs (I think the Veterans) have club inspection days but this is a thing with individual clubs but certainly not in the regulations. I know in some other states the inspection is part of the rules.

Only "rallies" where "a group of vehicles travels together for a competition or to meet at an agreed location" need to be registered with a club. All the other stuff such as displays, fetes or similar functions do not. You may take a vehicle anywhere any time to an event for charitable, religious or educational purposes - which covers just about anything you can think of. The regulations clearly authorise travel to and from an event so if you want to attend a verified event in Perth from Brisbane you can take 3 weeks and 8,000km travel to do it.

All the thousands of people travelling in special interest vehicles to various interstate "Nationals", major rallies, shows or gatherings are perfectly legal in every state.

Most clubs recommend you carry the brochure, advertising print-out from Facebook etc or entry form to produce to authorities to give a reason for your travel. Nearly all clubs will give you an official trip number for any reasonable journey which means you will be covered by the club insurance as well as your own. This is a good idea (but not essential) for interstate trips for reciprocal rights verification.

The rules apply to you according to your home state registration limits - not the state you are travelling in. NSW police may book you for breaching Qld registration rules even though it may be legal in NSW. Likewise they can not book you for something illegal in NSW if it is legal on your Qld registration. Normal safety or traffic breaches are bad news wherever you are registered.

Lang
Last edit: 5 years 2 months ago by Lang.

More
5 years 2 months ago #198975 by Urchy87
Replied by Urchy87 on topic Old Truck, Modern Engine
Cheers guys. Some great information given. I rang the Department of Transport and Main Roads a few years ago to clarify the carrying capacity when I first looked into it. Despite me reading the clause to them they said you can carry up to the GVM. I was confused by that stage and left it at that.

Adventure before Dementia.

More
5 years 2 months ago - 5 years 2 months ago #198981 by roKWiz
Replied by roKWiz on topic Old Truck, Modern Engine
I reckon I would rather just drive the LE. Please don't turn it into another trailer queen. Turn up the 8 track and away you go.

Heritage Stonemason
In order that the labour of centuries past may not be in vain during the centuries to come... D. Did
Last edit: 5 years 2 months ago by roKWiz.

More
5 years 2 months ago #198992 by Urchy87
Replied by Urchy87 on topic Old Truck, Modern Engine

roKWiz wrote: I reckon I would rather just drive the LE. Please don't turn it into another trailer queen. Turn up the 8 track and away you go.

roKWiz, it’s no trailer queen nor will it ever be. I’m real keen for a project and I think this would be enjoyable. In saying this it doesn’t get out enough.

Adventure before Dementia.
The following user(s) said Thank You: roKWiz

More
5 years 2 months ago #198998 by JOHN.K.
In Qld ,up to 4500,you can carry /be the full GVW of the manufacturer/plate/old rego,but over 4500,yer a truck,and you can only be half the GVM............this means most trucks cant carry anything(legally)......for instance ,my little Leyland is 3.5 tare/7.5 GVM on full rego......so half GVM is 3.75,so it can carry 250 kg.......the obvious answer is a Dodge or Inter single wheel tray under 4500.,which should be able to load over a ton with a light ally tray.The other setup for a load is a very light bogie or lazy axle,like a ACCOT 1820 with a Perk/5sp /2 sp ......which will be just on 5 ton,yet have a full GVM of at least 19.,and up to 23 ,so half that is 10,which means a 4 to 5 ton load under SIVS....Or move to NSW.

More
5 years 2 months ago #199012 by cobbadog
Replied by cobbadog on topic Old Truck, Modern Engine
On NSW club rego you get 60 days a year to drive it and can carry the full loads.

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.

More
5 years 2 months ago #199014 by JOHN.K.
And in Vic ,I believe you get 60 days,and can pay a few extra bucks and get 90 days......in Qld ,you get.............shafted .

More
5 years 2 months ago #199018 by rockcrawler31

cobbadog wrote: On NSW club rego you get 60 days a year to drive it and can carry the full loads.

Problem with NSW is that they won’t allow any kind of engine swap on historic, but if you go to the modified scheme, they won’t allow vehicles over 4500kg. Tards

I've got the truck
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog

More
5 years 2 months ago #199019 by Gryphon
Replied by Gryphon on topic Old Truck, Modern Engine

JOHN.K. wrote: And in Vic ,I believe you get 60 days,and can pay a few extra bucks and get 90 days......in Qld ,you get.............shafted .

In Vic you get a choice of 45 or 90 days.

Terry
The following user(s) said Thank You: roKWiz

Time to create page: 0.503 seconds