Skip to main content

1929 Durant Tidy Up

More
5 years 1 month ago #199220 by Urchy87
1929 Durant Tidy Up was created by Urchy87
25 years ago a 1929 Durant was given a new life. My understanding is it was a community effort with a few local committees working together to get the project complete for the Miles Historical Village.

Today the keys were handed over and possession was taken by us, the local car club (Dogwood Motor and Auto Group) to get it back yo an operational state and give it a general freshen up.

It hasn’t run for years but today we managed to get it started but not running reliably due to flooding issues. We ended up trailering it around to the workshop were we will be working on it and started the process.

I thought I would create a thread for this as I’m sure we will have questions which the HCVC community will be able to help with and that it might have been of interest to some of you.

Today we got it greased, repacked the bearings, removed the carby and vacuum tank for an overhaul and applied some upholstery restorer to the soft top.

Adventure before Dementia.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Southbound

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
5 years 1 month ago #199221 by Urchy87
Replied by Urchy87 on topic 1929 Durant Tidy Up

Attachments:

More
5 years 1 month ago #199222 by Urchy87

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, Lang, Southbound

More
5 years 1 month ago #199223 by Mrsmackpaul
Replied by Mrsmackpaul on topic 1929 Durant Tidy Up
Great stuff, I will look forward to learning as you go along

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

More
5 years 1 month ago #199225 by Zuffen
Replied by Zuffen on topic 1929 Durant Tidy Up
What's on the NS running board? Is it a jack?

Also those Tilta-Trailers are the ducks guts.

More
5 years 1 month ago - 5 years 1 month ago #199226 by Lang
Replied by Lang on topic 1929 Durant Tidy Up
Its a Ded-Ezi tyre pump. Twin cylinder with a wooden rocker handle. Very common but getting expensive at swap meets - I have seen them over $400 in recent times.

And whoever comes up with a decent place to put a number plate on a flat bed trailer will sell heaps of them.

Here is the Durant History.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Durant_Motors
Attachments:
Last edit: 5 years 1 month ago by Lang.

More
5 years 1 month ago #199233 by Urchy87
Yep, twin cylinder pump. It’s clearly too hard to pinch off the vehicle. The amount of parts that get stolen from places like this is disgraceful. There is a numerous amount of pieces that we need to replace on the Durant due to light fingers.

Mrsmackpaul, I’m not sure that I will be able to teach you much. A few of the other guys seem to know enough to get the job done.

For those of you interested, the engine is a Continental Red Seal 6 cylinder from what we gather. Here is the carby and tank.

Attachments:

More
5 years 1 month ago - 5 years 1 month ago #199234 by Lang
Urchy87

You can get overhaul kits for those tanks from USA. A very common quick fix is to put in an electric pump and pressure feed the tank. The float will shut off at the appropriate time to maintain the right level. Of course you can just pressure feed the carby direct with a standard 2psi Super Cheap pump.

Be careful pulling the vacuum tank apart as the parts are very small and easily damaged but if it has been running it is more than likely working OK so don't touch it unless you are absolutely sure it has a problem!.

If the carburetor is not good an old petrol Ferguson tractor one will fit right on and is just the right size for that engine. They can be bought brand new quite cheaply at any tractor supply place but you should have people in your club with one on the shed shelf.

Lang
Last edit: 5 years 1 month ago by Lang.

More
5 years 1 month ago #199236 by Urchy87
Cheers Lang

Funny you say that about the carby. The direct comparison to it and the Fergy he is rebuilding in his shed was made. Thanks for the heads up.

I was on organising/BBQ duties yesterday and didn’t get too involved once I was freed up as there were bodies all around the car but from what I heard in the conversations being had is the float in the tank must not be operating correctly as it was over flowing or something like that. Wasn’t actually in the conversation so may have missed details. I will give Mopar Mick the heads up on them needing fine fingers. Do you know who is best to deal with in AUS for parts when it comes to Durant’s?

More
5 years 1 month ago #199237 by Lang
I am sure there will be a club. The RUGBY brand was just a rebadged Durant and there are probably as many if not more Rugbys in Australia. I believe both sold reasonably well so there should be bits around. You are lucky it has been chopped off and uted, this saves the expense and work doing rear body, seats and large top.

Here is a Rugby for sale.
www.shannons.com.au/club/forum/buy-swap-...ant-tourer-for-sale/

Look at this!
Large collection of vintage 1928/29 Rugby & Durant spare parts, tools, accessories, hand-books etc
06 Sep 2018 10:23 PM
FOR SALE

My 53 year large collection of vintage 1928/29 Rugby & Durant spare parts, tools, accessories, hand-books etc, all in good condition. If anyone is interested I can email four pages of photos with prices.

Tel:(03) 9484 4994 0419 233 770

Time to create page: 0.568 seconds