Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Black oily residue from the exhaust pipe - Isuzu 6BD1T

Black oily residue from the exhaust pipe - Isuzu 6BD1T 20 Apr 2019 15:03 #200107

• JOHN.K.
  • Thank you received: 214
Oil on the outside is just a bit of a leak............what you need to keep a watch out for is oil in the air pipes...........IMHO,getting turbo s rebuilt is a waste of money.......

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Black oily residue from the exhaust pipe - Isuzu 6BD1T 21 Apr 2019 08:55 #200122

• ashmenz0
  • ashmenz0's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 2
Thanks gents.

Cobba, what’s the simplest way to check both of these?

Thanks, Ash

Black oily residue from the exhaust pipe - Isuzu 6BD1T 21 Apr 2019 16:38 #200143

• cobbadog
  • Thank you received: 338
I've never had one apart nor seen one apart but if it can be put together it must be able to be taken apart.

I think I would remove it from the engine, get all the specs on that make and model and start talking to shops that replace or repair them.

Sometimes it is cheaper to replace than to repair so look at all options but first you need to know if it does have a problem and it is not something else.
Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette

The following user(s) said Thank You: ashmenz0

Black oily residue from the exhaust pipe - Isuzu 6BD1T 08 May 2019 10:18 #200444

• ashmenz0
Thanks Cobba
I have identified that the turbo shaft has an unacceptable amount of up/down movement which will need to be addressed.

On pulling a few things apart it appears the the linkage of the exhaust brake is a bit sloppy and has been allowing the flap to partially restrict the exhaust gas flow.

Maybe this could be the cause of the sooty exhaust?

Ash

Last edit: by ashmenz0.

Black oily residue from the exhaust pipe - Isuzu 6BD1T 08 May 2019 14:56 #200446

• JOHN.K.
  • Thank you received: 214
The turbo cartridge may have a certain amount of movement built in..............the movement isnt the bearings,but the whole bearing assy................exhaust brakes and turbo s arent a good mix....Volvo tried a pressure limiter at one time,but I dont think they went on with it.

Black oily residue from the exhaust pipe - Isuzu 6BD1T 08 May 2019 18:19 #200449

• jon_d
  • Thank you received: 50
Turbo's are surprisingly easy to overhaul.

The hardest part is to pull it apart. Removing the exhaust turbine can be difficult.

Then, the compressor and compressor wheel. Pop the shaft out; they talk about piston rings which hold the shaft in position.

Slip out the bearings, replace the rings and bearings and reassemble the core and compressor impeller.

Take it to a joint to be rebalanced; add the housings and away you go.

Kits are available on ebay for nicks; if not via aliexpress.

I posted a major rebuild of my Isuzu '90's IHI turbo which needed a mix of Chinese and Jap parts to get it rebuilt. Done 12,000 ks n it; still good.

www.hcvc.com.au/forum/modtruck/11029-isuzu-turbo-egt-s?start=10
The following user(s) said Thank You: ashmenz0

Last edit: by jon_d.

Black oily residue from the exhaust pipe - Isuzu 6BD1T 09 May 2019 12:08 #200470

• ashmenz0
Hi Jon

I wouldn't be confident to do the work you have done unfortunately.

I would have to hand it over to the experts, but I appreciate your advice and have learned a lot from reading your previous post.

Do you know what pressure your turbo runs? Mine sits between 3 and 4 1/2 psi when I'm standing on it.

Thanks again

Ash

Black oily residue from the exhaust pipe - Isuzu 6BD1T 09 May 2019 22:48 #200480

• jon_d
  • Thank you received: 50
13 psi max. Most times it's between 5-10psi

Black oily residue from the exhaust pipe - Isuzu 6BD1T 10 May 2019 14:13 #200489

• Mrsmackpaul
  • Thank you received: 347

ashmenz0 wrote: Do you know what pressure your turbo runs? Mine sits between 3 and 4 1/2 psi when I'm standing on it.

Thanks again

Ash

Thats a interesting question, on the Mack truck forum people in the states claim they have boost at 35 pounds plus

Yet my old cool powered Mack is lucky to make 17 - 18 pounds, apparently thats in the specs

I dunno some people's figures

Maybe check for air leaks, if it has a intercooler you can pressure check that as well and see if it holfs pressure

Paul
Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

Black oily residue from the exhaust pipe - Isuzu 6BD1T 13 May 2019 10:18 #200547

• ashmenz0
Hi Paul
I've checked for air leaks and it holds good pressure. So does this mean the turbo is not generating enough pressure?
Cheers
Ash

Time to create page: 0.324 seconds

Historic Commercial Vehicles Club of Australia Inc.  Post: P.O. Box 2020 Bayswater Vic. 3153    Clubrooms: Unit 8 / 4  Macquarie Place Boronia    Club Phone: 0400 025 525    Club Rooms:  03) 9738 1558