Skip to main content

Black oily residue from the exhaust pipe - Isuzu 6BD1T

More
4 years 11 months ago #200552 by JOHN.K.
Does seem low.............reasons might be wear between exhaust vanes and housing(,if they can touch),excessive exhaust back pressure ,or turbo too big for motor......the fuel delivery might also have been cut back to stop smoke................the Isuzu manual I have is industrial ,doesnt specify boost,......the green cover Mack book gives boosts from 10psi to 20 psi,with the early Maxidyne at 18psi max........but from memory an early Perkins 354 turbo had 7psi max.......too much boost will blow head gasket.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
4 years 11 months ago #200553 by ashmenz0
Thanks guys
Just had a chat with a local mechanic and he thinks 5 psi is way too low as well. When I say 5 psi, that's the max too. usually around 3 to 4.5 psi.
He thinks I should check the compressor fins to make sure they haven't been rubbing on the housing, resulting in them wearing away on the edges and now not generating required pressure. He also jokingly asked if both sides are still connected. :blink:
I will check for leaks as well. It has an intercooler so will include that obviously.
Has me buggered.
Thanks again folks. Really appreciate your thoughts and suggestions.
Ash

More
4 years 11 months ago #200556 by Mrsmackpaul
Im really really simple so I tend to keep things that way
To get boost you need the fuel and air ratio to be right

If you dont have enough air pressure and plenty of fuel it can blow smoke

If you dont have enough fuel and plenty of air it will never blow any smoke as it using every drop of air

When you sink the boot into a diesel it choofs black smoke (unburnt fuel) until that air fuel mixture is correct and in a turbo engine, thats when boost comes on

So knowing this very basic information it should give some ideas were to start

I have a few thoughts

I remember many years ago on here a fella had a turbo that had carboned up till it seized

Not saying this has happened but it sounds like your getting plenty of unburnt oily stuff running out the exhaust

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

More
4 years 11 months ago #200565 by JOHN.K.
If the compressor end breaks up it goes thru the motor and makes a mess.........but an intercooler might stop most of the bits...............anyway ,Id check the intercooler for oiled up passages......they are pretty hard to clean,because you certainly cant use anything caustic in them.

More
4 years 11 months ago #200580 by JOHN.K.
if you wanted oily smoke,the old NSWGR ClydeGM locos couldnt be beat............the whole locos were coated in black goo like tar paint,with the oily goo actually dripping down the sides.....One sat idling at the old Coopers Plains interchange all morning ,and when it took off with a train of empty wagons,it was like a thick putrid fog over the whole yard ,including the houses..........so bad on a calm day,the level crossing had to stay closed till the smoke cleared.

More
4 years 11 months ago #200581 by ashmenz0
Thanks again guys.
I'll check it out Paul. First thing is check the fins etc on the compressor side.
John, I don't need any more soot. I think the neighbors might get the sh!ts.
I'll post back when I've removed the housing from the intake side.
Cheers
Ash

More
4 years 11 months ago - 4 years 11 months ago #200586 by jon_d
You don't need to remove the housing. Just remove the air inlet pipe. You can see the impeller and feel for play. When spinning, it should feel slippery. Like rubbing your fingers together with oil on them.

If the piston rings (on the turbo) are leaking, there will be oil on the outlet of the compressor. Not sure about the exhaust side.

I looked up the Isuzu manual; there is no spec for boost pressure (psi/wastegate) for the Garret turbo. 14psi for the IHI.
Last edit: 4 years 11 months ago by jon_d.

More
4 years 11 months ago #200597 by JOHN.K.
The one sure indicator is oil usage .......is your oil consumption excessive.?........but if the compressor side is leaking oil ,the rubber hoses will be coated with liquid oil,not just an oily scum......................the exhaust side doesnt normally leak,because backpressure is actually blowing back into the seal......but the compressor side has negative pressure in the centre part,especially behind the wheel at the shaft bearing.

More
4 years 11 months ago #200599 by ashmenz0
Thanks Guys
It's not using oil that I can notice on the dipstick. Always remains at/near the mark.
When I had the intake pipe off there was a little bit of black residue but very minimal. Quite dry too.
I will remove it again to check the compressor fins. I didn't look too hard at them last time. The was no play in/out but a little up/down. Will check to see if fins rub or have any wear or touch the housing.
Thanks again for your advice and assistance.
Cheers
Ash

More
4 years 11 months ago #200614 by jon_d
remembering, a turbo will spin upto 120,000 rpms.

There should be no discernible movement in the shaft in any axis.

What gets me is the bearings float in the oil and also spin. But at half speed. 60,000 rpms

Time to create page: 0.589 seconds