Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Sleeving a roller bearing

Sleeving a roller bearing 19 May 2019 19:24 #200665

• Dave_64
  • Dave_64's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 135
Wondering how I would get on , rather than boring a transmission case out any further, by getting some sort of retaining ring machined up to "shrink" the actual mainshaft bore size. If I bore the case, getting too close to the housing holes.
Measuring with a digital vernier, the bore size in the case is a bit of an odd size. 98.10mm (3.860").
My bearing charts show common size bearings , readily available but not in that O.D. either metric or imperial.
I could get away with some sort of reducing collar with a lip on it, say the 8.10mm, I should be able to press a roller bearing into the sleeve and then tap it into the case??
I can get hold of a common 50mm X 90mm X 23mm roller bearing with retaining circlip easy enough.
The internal bore size (50mm) wouldn't worry me as I have to get the splined shaft collar turned down from 54.08mm (2.168") anyway as it (the shaft) has a few score marks on it and had been leaking through the seal anyway.
50mm I.D. bearings as well as seals are, as I said, easy to get.
Thoughts??
Dave_64

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Sleeving a roller bearing 19 May 2019 19:33 #200666

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
  • Thank you received: 997
Cogz m80
run sum numbers thru this conversion dooodadd
to C if imperial is close to metric

www.convert-me.com/en/convert/length/?u=inch&v=3.86

cya
OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dave_64

Sleeving a roller bearing 19 May 2019 20:28 #200670

• Blackduck59
  • Thank you received: 206
There are boxes with that sort of set up,
Not a problem so long as the bearing you use has a similar or better rating to what was standard.
Cheers Steve

Sleeving a roller bearing 19 May 2019 20:35 #200671

• Dave_64
Hey Steve, how goes it? Had an old transfer case in a Jeep years ago that had one of those retaining collars on it where the output shaft ran directly into the input on the T/C. Adapted a later model T/C to an early model g-box, seemed to work OK. Yep, already sussed out upgraded bearings, thanks. Dave

Sleeving a roller bearing 19 May 2019 21:32 #200673

• JOHN.K.
  • Thank you received: 220
8mm difference is plenty for a sleeve,reducing the shaft dia can be done with special inserts ,but they are pretty dear...........might be able to get chinese ones off ebay..........I have a big Landis grinder that I used to do all that stuff on,but its sitting out in the paddock now......the only issue is there will be no hardening left on the shaft if you take more than 1mm off it.

Sleeving a roller bearing 19 May 2019 21:49 #200674

• jon_d
  • Thank you received: 50
Give these guys a ring;
www.fjbushings.com.au/

They made a new inside bearing "race" for me.

The Bedford pinion has a bearing on the end. The inside race was spinning on the pinion landing instead of being pressed on.

2/1000 smaller ID and same OD was the spec. hardened and fitted perfectly.

www.fjbushings.com.au/

(I've also ground down a speedi-sleeve to pack a loose gearbox bearing in an old tractor.)

Last edit: by jon_d.

Sleeving a roller bearing 20 May 2019 16:18 #200690

• cobbadog
  • Thank you received: 340
I used some 'speedi-sleeves on some axles to give them back a good surface for the seals. They come in may sizes if they would help!
Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette

Sleeving a roller bearing 21 May 2019 15:05 #200712

• Dave_64
Took a few bits and pieces into town today, bloke in there had done a bit of work for me on the odd occasion.
Reckons that I would be better off enlarging the case bore by 7mm, (an extra 3.5mm in diameter) so the input gear will then be able to be installed through the front, as an already assembled unit, instead of the mongrel set up I had come up with, trying to fit everything together from the insides out.
By then either installing a larger diameter OD bearing, or making a sleeve, input shaft, housing, whole shooting match can be installed from the front. Make setting the mainshaft synchro clearances a damn side easier, just add shims and/or gaskets between the case and input shaft housing, LIKE THE BOOK SAID!
Better than having to disassemble the whole mainshaft just to set the tolerances.

Last edit: by Dave_64. Reason: Text
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.854 seconds

Historic Commercial Vehicles Club of Australia Inc.  Post: P.O. Box 2020 Bayswater Vic. 3153    Clubrooms: Unit 8 / 4  Macquarie Place Boronia    Club Phone: 0400 025 525    Club Rooms:  03) 9738 1558