Skip to main content

Turbo Perkins into a A359D Dodge

More
4 years 10 months ago #201021 by Dazza1949
Hi
I’m back again. A few years ago I restored a A359D Dodge Truck. I’ve never been happy with the original motor, which by the way spent $7000 on an overhaul, so now I’m in the process of fitting a Dot 3 Turbo Perkins 6/354 and a 6 speed Commer box. Once I relearn how to post photos I’ll put some up.
Darryl

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
4 years 10 months ago #201023 by Sarge
Welcome back, just wondering what was the motor that chewed up your wallet. :ohmy: and what went wrong with that project??? :(

Sarge B)
ACCO Owner, Atkinson dreamer.

More
4 years 10 months ago #201024 by Dave_64
Dazza, don’t forget we want a few words of wisdom to accompany snaps!

More
4 years 10 months ago #201025 by Dazza1949
It was the original motor... Flat head 6. The quote started at about $3500 but they kept extending it and the motor hasn’t performed....very disappointed

More
4 years 10 months ago - 4 years 10 months ago #201026 by Dazza1949
This is my Truck. A 1960 3 ton Dodge with a 159 inch wheelbase. Currently on full Rego.

Attachments:
Last edit: 4 years 10 months ago by Dazza1949. Reason: Replace Heading and add text
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog

More
4 years 10 months ago - 4 years 10 months ago #201027 by Dazza1949
There is the Perkins

Just undergone a ‘Dulux Overhaul’. Did hear it run before I bought it and it came with a six month installation allowance followed buy a 3 month run warranty.
Attachments:
Last edit: 4 years 10 months ago by Dazza1949. Reason: Add photos
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog

More
4 years 10 months ago #201029 by JOHN.K.
i wouldnt expect a 250 sv to have much go..........the same truck used to have the 361 V8 in it.......and they did fly.....had one in CDW,towed a light single axle trailer..........believe it or not,the truck used to deliver and service flagpoles,nothing else.

More
4 years 10 months ago #201030 by Blackduck59
looks like you sussed the pic's, easy once you have done it a coupe of times
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dazza1949

More
4 years 10 months ago #201033 by Dazza1949
The 250 Side Valve 6 will keep up with the traffic up to 60 and I suppose the 3 ton 359 Dodge was set up for around town deliveries but it’s screaming on the highway and hills are not it’s friend. The Perkins will fix the power problem and an overdrive gearbox will fix the lack of speed issue.

More
4 years 10 months ago #201035 by JOHN.K.
If you want a Commer 5/6sp box,there is a one piece ally housing to match a 6/354 to a commer.....they are a pretty big box,and some come with a #2 sae housing(ex knockers and V8s).......again pretty big for a small truck........looks like your motor does have the #2 housing...............I would use the one piece ,it wont intrude up into the floor so much............did you know one Aussie Dodge did have a Commer box?

Time to create page: 0.587 seconds