Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Turbo Perkins into a A359D Dodge

Turbo Perkins into a A359D Dodge 25 Jun 2019 08:29 #201351

• Dazza1949
  • Dazza1949's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 11
I’LL NEVER REUSE A BOLT AGAIN . Lesson No 1

I usually use new bright and shiney bolts on my projects but I’d run out of 3/8” unf bolts and was feeling a bit impatient and wanted the bell housing on ASAP. I decided to go with the bolts I had taken out. I checked them out and they all (8) looked fine. Unfortunately this one clearly wasn’t. It must have been cracked half way thru and broke off as I tightened it..... had to take the bell housing off again and then use an easi-out.
Lesson No 2 Don’t be impatient.
I now have to wait till late this arvo for the courier from Bendigo to get here with my new bolts.
Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Dazza1949. Reason: Spelling

Turbo Perkins into a A359D Dodge 25 Jun 2019 12:10 #201354

• JOHN.K.
  • Thank you received: 208
I never fitted a tank or non return on my conversions..........but very few went for inspection.....I just used to notify a change of engine number,get it checked ,and that was it..........the PBR booster has a no return valve in the fitting...IIRC........incidentally,the air from the booster goes into the engine,this is why the Inter trucks ahd the little canister oil bath filters fitted on the firewall............I never worried about this either,just relying on the little felt pad in the booster.

Turbo Perkins into a A359D Dodge 25 Jun 2019 12:15 #201355

• JOHN.K.
  • Thank you received: 208
never reuse a bolt.....sounds good,until you realise every bolt and nut on the market is Chinese rubbish.......I had repeated breakages with Chinese gr 8 bolts used in a machine at the sandblasters......every one cracked thru the threads.......replaced them with some old ,used gr5 bolts from my stash,and never had any more trouble.......in fact the only bolts you can trust now are from Caterpillar.....and costly.

Time to create page: 0.245 seconds

Historic Commercial Vehicles Club of Australia Inc.  Post: P.O. Box 2020 Bayswater Vic. 3153    Clubrooms: Unit 8 / 4  Macquarie Place Boronia    Club Phone: 0400 025 525    Club Rooms:  03) 9738 1558