Skip to main content

40s gmc

More
4 years 7 months ago - 4 years 7 months ago #202740 by gmcmick
40s gmc was created by gmcmick
Hi I’m wondering if anyone could help me with some information on this truck. My father bought it in 1972. We are planning on doing a full restoration back to original condition. It has the Holden badges so from what I have been able to work out it was imported as a CKD and built in Australia. How can I find what year it is. I’ve heard there should be a no stamped on the chassis near the left front wheel. From information I have found there are some things that indicate it could have been military. The tray had big fold down sides and a smaller tailgate I also read that the military trucks had this park light on the headlight assembly, would this be right? Any information would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

You just gotta remember to click on INSERT or INSERT ALL tto ggget your pictures in the post. Sarge.
Attachments:
Last edit: 4 years 7 months ago by Sarge. Reason: Trying to attach photos

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
4 years 7 months ago #202744 by Zuffen
Replied by Zuffen on topic 40s gmc
There looks like a date on the paint tag.

Lower right-hand corner.

Starts with a J and looks like it ends in an 8 or 3.

My eye's are too old to see it clearly but you should be able to decipher it in person.

More
4 years 7 months ago - 4 years 7 months ago #202746 by Lang
Replied by Lang on topic 40s gmc
Zuffen is right.

The body plate says it was built 9th month - in Australia because of the quarter windows and side knee air vents. USA cabs had no quarter window and air vent on top of the cowl but pretty well identical apart from that. Not military, park lights are standard Chevrolet/GMC 1942-47.

The finish plate says it was painted "J" (10th month) 1946

Only difference between this and the Chevrolet is the badging and the grille bars go horizontal instead of vertical. If you are looking for bits any Chevrolet stuff will fit.

Lang
Last edit: 4 years 7 months ago by Lang.

More
4 years 7 months ago #202752 by gmcmick
Replied by gmcmick on topic 40s gmc
Thanks mate. Once I start looking into it will be able to get a list of what it needs mechanically. All of the interior needs to be replaced

More
4 years 7 months ago #202753 by gmcmick
Replied by gmcmick on topic 40s gmc
Thanks mate

Time to create page: 0.460 seconds