Updated 28th July.

If you are unable to login, you probably need to read this change to your username & profile.

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Bedford K Restoration 26 Aug 2020 21:28 #214162

• Pierre
  • Pierre's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 219
Sorry overnight, my apologies.
Pierre
Pierre

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Bedford K Restoration 26 Aug 2020 22:02 #214164

• cobbadog
  • Thank you received: 1017
I would only use brass welsh plugs in those hard to get to places and normal steel in all easy to get places. Reason for this is so that the steel welsh plugs still act as the sacrificial annode and not have the block rust out.
Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe.
STUBBOURN B@ST@RD

Bedford K Restoration 26 Aug 2020 22:06 #214165

• Sarge :-X
  • Thank you received: 305
Pierre, what Wannabe said, but obviously have the up market flash electric starter, not the cable pull one,. My O had brass welch plugs and the one at the back of the motor that was almost inaccessible, was actually just above the bell housing. Hope your is too.
Sarge B)
ACCO Owner, Atkinson dreamer.

Bedford K Restoration 27 Aug 2020 08:33 #214170

• Morris
  • Thank you received: 581

I would only use brass welsh plugs in those hard to get to places and normal steel in all easy to get places. Reason for this is so that the steel welsh plugs still act as the sacrificial annode and not have the block rust out.

That is what radiator treatment is for.
I have my shoulder to the wheel,
my nose to the grindstone,
I've put my best foot forward,
I've put my back into it,
I'm gritting my teeth,

Now I find I can't do any work in this position!

Bedford K Restoration 28 Aug 2020 00:17 #214189

• PDU
  • Thank you received: 751
11:30 pm + and I wonder what has been going on, only to discover much discussion about hidden welsh plugs??
Behind the flywheel inside the bell housing?
Are you kidding?
Cannot see any coolant welsh plugs being hidden in such a dumb location . . . so I studied the manual as closely as possible and found nothing at the back of the block - other than an expansion plug behind the camshaft rear bearing (and one would assume there is oil behind that - not water?).
Despite being ready for bed (albeit au naturale!) I went out to the shed and took the following picture of B for's original 1951 engine:

NB Nothing in the back face of the block, and three small plugs in the head. Surely there would be little reason for one being further down, where it is hopelessly inaccessible!?
Interesting shot of remains of number six cylinder wall back in there also. :pinch:
Attachments:

Bedford K Restoration 28 Aug 2020 07:56 #214198

• mammoth
  • Thank you received: 284
The position of welch plugs are often determined by the foundry pattern maker as those holes are used to hold the sand cores during casting. If you remove the bell housing another may be revealed.

Bedford K Restoration 28 Aug 2020 08:09 #214199

• PDU
I'll settle things for you this weekend and pull the bellhousing and flywheel off mine Pierre - probably easier than pulling yours apart. :unsure:

Bedford K Restoration 28 Aug 2020 09:44 #214200

• Sarge :-X
  • Thank you received: 305
Well done PDU, big effort in ya bear skin at that time, I don't have my O any more, but where ever the water was coming from I could stick my finger in it. So do we conclude the 1950 O has different engine to you and Pierre. It was 100% original, a family heirloom which I passed to more capable hands. I will see if I can find out how he fixed it.
Sarge B)
ACCO Owner, Atkinson dreamer.

Bedford K Restoration 28 Aug 2020 10:32 #214201

• PDU
Sarge, mine is an O type ;)

Damn sight easier for me taking mine apart than Pierre's in the truck :unsure:

Bedford K Restoration 28 Aug 2020 21:40 #214209

• cobbadog
  • Thank you received: 1017
I know the old Holden grey motor had one in the back of the head and with a cold chisel a new access window could be found just at the right location to remove the old one and replace it.
As for the same engine I can't help thinking there was one behind the flywheel, but would need to dig otu the old manual to confirm.
Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe.
STUBBOURN B@ST@RD

Time to create page: 0.318 seconds

Historic Commercial Vehicles Club of Australia Inc.  Post: P.O. Box 2020 Bayswater Vic. 3153    Clubrooms: Unit 8 / 4  Macquarie Place Boronia    Club Phone: 0400 025 525    Club Rooms:  03) 9738 1558