Updated 28th July.

If you are unable to login, you probably need to read this change to your username & profile.

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Bedford K Restoration 30 Aug 2020 14:19 #214260

• PDU
  • Thank you received: 751
Sunday, the day of rest? Tackled my old engine, but it was determined to remain stuck fast.
"Hmm," thinks I, "Perhaps I can flip the engine over and try to undo the attachment bolts down behind the flywheel?" - There appears to be four hidden mounting bolts but initially I tried undoing the two easier lower ones (they're not!). Yes I managed to undo them both, but before attempting to reach the other two, tried unscrewing one to see if it would disengage from the thread - which it didn't.
Never being one to give up on a problem I decided I could always drop the crank, flywheel and clutch together -or at least release it from the pistons.

Stopped at this point as I have a trailer load of green waste and today is a (rare) free day at the tip. B) I shall return to this job later (maybe not today though).
After scabbing the clutch and pressure plate, plus a few other bits from this engine it will be off to the tip too - if anything is of any use to anybody just let me know.
When all is done this forum will have its own picture of the arse end of a Bedford block showing where the hidden welsh plug and mounting holes are. :blink:
Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Bedford K Restoration 30 Aug 2020 19:45 #214264

• Pierre
  • Pierre's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 219
PDU no that was the only picture of the rear of the block that Richard had.
The 2 bolt holes shown in the photo are those at the top of the flywheel housing, & the block is shown upside down.
Looking forward to seeing what you when you get yours apart.
cheers
Pierre
Pierre

Bedford K Restoration 31 Aug 2020 01:10 #214268

• PDU
After the Block was finished (Channel 9 :whistle:) I thought I might as well get back into it and finally finished at 12:15!!

It will be decidedly easier for you Pierre as you will be able to turn your flywheel to access the clutch mounting bolts - the only way I could get to two of the bolts was to undo all the crankshaft caps and connecting rods which allowed me to lift the end of the crank sufficiently to squeeze a socket in there (extreme contortions to undo). The only piston that would move was number six, or at least what was left of it (sitting between the block and the bellhousing). Bloody stupid place for a welsh plug. :angry:
I would suggest leaving the engine in place and block under the sump to support it, remove gearbox and then you would be able to access everything beyond that??? :unsure:
Have fun . . .
Attachments:

Last edit: by PDU.

Bedford K Restoration 31 Aug 2020 08:52 #214272

• Pierre
PDU, well at least we have it re-confirmed now. Apparently rust & gunk build up behind that plug & minimize water flow causing serious damage to #6 piston.

Not a bad idea PDU, but not sure about blocking up under the sump & how strong that would be supporting the weight of the motor?
Also not sure if I have piston ring issues yet. Might be a lot easier out & on the floor.

PS:-hope you enjoyed your time in Adelaide

cheers
Pierre
Pierre
The following user(s) said Thank You: PDU

Bedford K Restoration 31 Aug 2020 12:05 #214276

• overnite
  • Thank you received: 399

PDU, well at least we have it re-confirmed now. Apparently rust & gunk build up behind that plug & minimize water flow causing serious damage to #6 piston.

Not a bad idea PDU, but not sure about blocking up under the sump & how strong that would be supporting the weight of the motor?
Also not sure if I have piston ring issues yet. Might be a lot easier out & on the floor.

PS:-hope you enjoyed your time in Adelaide

cheers
Pierre

Your comment regarding sludge and rust buildup behind hidden Welch plug contributing to #6 piston seizure, only confirms my comment to never knock the old Welch plug in, and leave it there. Short term gain for long term pain.

Bedford K Restoration 31 Aug 2020 13:47 #214278

• Sarge :-X
  • Thank you received: 305
youse blokes are champions, particularly heading out to the shed after dark PDU to solve another blokes problems. I am awaiting a response from the bloke with my (formerly) O. He was a mechanic in his former life so will have done it proper. not like me.
Sarge B)
ACCO Owner, Atkinson dreamer.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, PDU

Bedford K Restoration 31 Aug 2020 18:57 #214279

• PDU
Interesting how good the crank journals and bearings were . . . combined with what looked like they may have been good cylinder bores (before crunch and long time sitting). In fact according to the manual a cylinder liner could have been used. :blink:

It was probably past its prime by then though???

Bedford K Restoration 22 Sep 2020 09:13 #214890

• Pierre
Latest update in-between looking after grandkids!
Drained oil, changed filter & refilled.
Managed to get the engine to fire up with some petrol down the carby but only runs for a short time then stops.
Disconnected the fuel line from the carby & fuel is getting there.
Dropped the carby bowl, checked the float & cleaned the two jets & the float check valve.
Cleaned the accelerator pump as well but still have same issue. Runs for about 1 min.
Any advice on what else to check appreciated.

Fitted an oil gauge to the block & she's running 35-40PSI on this short idle time.
Before commencing any further strip down, I'd like to get it running & hot & then recheck the cylinder compressions to see if any major change in the readings.
Was also planning to run some Penrite Engine Flush through it once I can get it running continuously as well. Any negative experiences with this process?

Cheers Pierre
Pierre
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog

Bedford K Restoration 22 Sep 2020 14:35 #214898

• Mrsmackpaul
  • Thank you received: 1397
I would forget about the fuel pump for moment and just try and hook a hose to the carby and gravity feed some fuel
If you can get it to run then you kknow it is a fuel issue

I have had pumps that deliver fuel ok, but not enough to keep it running

If it still wont go I would pull the cap of dizzy and check the points are tight they are still spring loaded

Paul
Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog

Bedford K Restoration 22 Sep 2020 15:02 #214899

• Pierre
Thanks Mrsmackpaul.
I must admit I did think the amount of fuel being delivered was small, but when I drop the bowl there seems to be plenty of fuel in there.
I'll try the gravity feed method & check distributor as well.

Thanks for your suggestions.
cheers
Pierre
Pierre

Time to create page: 0.502 seconds

Historic Commercial Vehicles Club of Australia Inc.  Post: P.O. Box 2020 Bayswater Vic. 3153    Clubrooms: Unit 8 / 4  Macquarie Place Boronia    Club Phone: 0400 025 525    Club Rooms:  03) 9738 1558