Updated 28th July.

If you are unable to login, you probably need to read this change to your username & profile.

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Bedford K Restoration 22 Sep 2020 20:05 #214904

• PDU
  • Thank you received: 752
Pierre, did you not read the Bedford 214 - Fuel Issues on acceleration posting earlier this year? It covers a lot of the possible problems and although lengthy is worth checking. :dry:

Good luck ;)
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Bedford K Restoration 24 Sep 2020 19:34 #214960

• Pierre
  • Pierre's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 221
PDU, I did & I'm about to read through it again. :)
cheers
Pierre
Pierre

Bedford K Restoration 24 Sep 2020 20:25 #214961

• Pierre
OK, I've gathered a list of 12 points to check & action. Will work through them & report back.
cheers
Pierre
Pierre

Bedford K Restoration 24 Sep 2020 21:52 #214965

• cobbadog
  • Thank you received: 1049
Now that sounds as if you have a list of 'unplanned stuff ups' like I do for the McDonald.
Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe.
STUBBOURN B@ST@RD

Bedford K Restoration 25 Sep 2020 16:47 #214970

• PDU
  • Thank you received: 752
Good luck Pierre, you can't do any worse than me (or cobbadog :unsure: ) . . .

. . . but I'm sure you can see the sense in reading this first. B)

Bedford K Restoration 26 Sep 2020 17:03 #214986

• Pierre
Not much progress the past few days.
Hooked up a gravity feed (took half a day to get something to screw into the carby inlet connection - what damn thread is that?) & that seemed to work better.
Removed the fuel pump & dug out a spare pump & did a quick service on it that & seems to pump fuel better. Can't explain why?

An observation - The nipples on both sides of the fuel pump have a 1/8" orifice one side & 3/16" the other on each.
Is this normal, can't see this mentioned in the manual. Is there a correct way to install these. Say eg:- 3/16" on the tube sides & 1/8" on the pump sides?
Can someone comment on this please.

Went to start it up & the starter would hardly turn it over. :(
Bought a new battery & same result, so something gone wrong with the starter now.
I have a spare starter but that is a 1950 & a bit crusty.
I'll pull the '53 out & have a look. It's had a bit of a hammering over the last week, maybe I've burnt some wiring out. :unsure:

You chaps have mentioned about checking the vent in the fuel tank. I couldn't find it in the tank or the cap?
So where is it hiding?

One step forward two steps back!!! :silly:

Cheers
Pierre
Pierre

Bedford K Restoration 26 Sep 2020 22:23 #214994

• cobbadog
It must have a vent somewhere on the tank or in the cap. If not maybe the wrong cap but it will need a vent. Had a blocked vent in the DB tractor once and once found solved my gravity feed problems.
Not sure about your inlet and outlet sizes but my best guess is 3/16" inlet to allow full flow to the pump and 1/8" outlet as it is under pressure to the carby.
Once you have a starter motor again I would pull the plugs out and disconnect the fuel line from the carby and put a catch can at the end and crank the engine ove to see how much fuel is being pumped.
Things to consider if the fuel flow is low, is there a good feed of fuel to the pump, condition of valves in the pump, cam grind is the lobe worn, wrong or bent arm that runs on the cam.
Even if the pump is off the engine submerge it in a bucket of fuel and operate the arm to see how much fuel it pushes out.
STUBBOURN B@ST@RD

Bedford K Restoration 27 Sep 2020 14:45 #215011

• Pierre
Thanks cobbadog,
My spare starter seems to be OK so I'll work through those points you've raised as well.
cheers
Pierre
Pierre

Bedford K Restoration 29 Sep 2020 16:00 #215065

• Pierre
Finally had some time to myself today.
1) Dropped the old oil out & changed filter & refilled with clean oil.
2) Checked the Fuel cap again & finally found the small pin hole vent & it was clear.
3) Managed to get it running with the spare starter motor & fuel pump.
4) Ran it for 2mins & 5mins with water running through it.
5) Dropped the fuel bowl & checked the fuel level - measured 16mm which is within spec of the manual. (states 16-18mm)
6) It still won't start without a squirt of fuel down the carby. So still some work needed here.
7) Re-checked all the compressions & there is marked improvement. With the exception of #4 (90PSI) all the others are ranging
from 110-125PSI
8) When I pulled the spark plugs from #3 & #5 straight after the run I noticed blue smoke coming out of the cylinders, so I assume the valve stem oil seals are the culprit here. Plugs for these cylinders were black & sooty.
9) Oil Pressure 20PSI Idle & up to 50PSI with medium revs

So armed with these results the plan is to pull the engine out, pressure wash & pressure flush the cooling system, decoke & refurb the head & sort out this infamous rear welch plug & replace all others at same time.
Drop the oil pan & clean.
I'll check the bores & put 1/2" of oil in #4 cylinder & see if leaks through the rings, if OK I'll leave the bottom end as is.
Any comments on any of this appreciated good or otherwise.

I'm still trying to download a video of todays engine running.
cheers
Pierre
Pierre

Bedford K Restoration 29 Sep 2020 16:43 #215069

• cobbadog
Recheck #4 pressure and see if it is held for a while to establish if it is valves or rings. Hopefully all it needs is to be run a while longer to free the rings up. If you are going to strip the engine is it worth while to put a set of new rings in?
STUBBOURN B@ST@RD

Time to create page: 0.562 seconds

Historic Commercial Vehicles Club of Australia Inc.  Post: P.O. Box 2020 Bayswater Vic. 3153    Clubrooms: Unit 8 / 4  Macquarie Place Boronia    Club Phone: 0400 025 525    Club Rooms:  03) 9738 1558