Updated 28th July.

If you are unable to login, you probably need to read this change to your username & profile.

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Bedford K Model Cylinder Compression 08 Mar 2020 17:33 #207279

• overnite
  • Thank you received: 393

Pierre, my O had the same Welch plug issue, at the back of the motor, it's just above the bell housing, you can either cut a hole in the fire wall or as I was advised by more experienced practitioners here, knock the old plug inwards then fit a new one on top. Second method was the choice. And like Morris said, I had to do all the others first. A lovely old truck with a nice purr as long as 38 mph is your speed.

I would strongly disagree with your “ more experienced practitioners “ re knocking the old Welch plug in. All you are doing is creating a blockage (overheating) and more metal to rust and block the radiator tubes.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Morris

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Bedford K Model Cylinder Compression 08 Mar 2020 20:35 #207280

• Pierre
  • Pierre's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 219
Thanks again guys for your responses appreciate the input from all.
PDU, sorry to see your engine in such a state, that looks nasty. :(
When I drained the sump on my spare truck I got 4 litres of water & 2 litres of oil, no wonder it wouldn't turn! Junked it.
Wish you good luck in the hunt for another motor.

Some photos as promised. Hope they upload OK.

I could have sworn I read somewhere there is a welch plug at the back of the K Model block under the clutch housing!
I just checked & there is one at the back of the head about 1" diameter, but it does not appear to have been leaking.
The only reason I was heading down this path was I found water sitting in the Clutch Housing Bottom Cover when I removed it!
So how would water get in there?

A quick check of the manual & it looks like your right overnite, it doesn't show a welch plug at the back of the block.
Sorry to reply with more questions.

Current status: Keeping body original & all mechanicals getting an overhaul.
Have installed new trim, but not happy, needs further work & that rear window is pi....ing me of!! Only half in, waiting on an assistant.:S
Seats have all been re-trimmed & in our lounge room.
New radiator core fitted to shroud
All brake lines have been made up
Front guards were pretty battered but I've repaired those & repainted ready for fit-up once motor is sorted.
Have new wiring looms ready to install
New windscreen rubbers fitted

Pierre

Pierre
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, Lang, Southbound

Bedford K Model Cylinder Compression 08 Mar 2020 20:37 #207281

• Pierre
OOPS, double up there with the photos sorry guys
r
Pierre
Pierre

Bedford K Model Cylinder Compression 08 Mar 2020 22:39 #207285

• Pierre
OK, this is where I saw the reference to the core plug under the bell housing. Came from an article in the HMVF Military Forum in the UK in response to a query from a member with a 1940 Bedford MW 28HP.

"Posted June 17, 2017
The core plug is under the bell housing between the mated surfaces".

Can someone who has taken a K apart please confirm if this is correct.

cheers
Pierre
Pierre

Bedford K Model Cylinder Compression 08 Mar 2020 23:58 #207286

• PDU
  • Thank you received: 750
I could always drop out the connecting rod and push rods to number six and run it as a 178 cubic inch five cylinder!? :woohoo:
I don't know how long this engine was sitting but interestingly when pulling it out I was amazed by what I found inside the clutch housing when I dropped the lower cover . . .
. . . and that was taken directly after it came off, full of dirt, and a small wasps nest :S BUT no water :lol:
Who bob tailed the rear of the chassis?
Attachments:

Bedford K Model Cylinder Compression 09 Mar 2020 07:37 #207290

• wee-allis
  • Thank you received: 614
Had a customers Ford tractor leaking water out of the bell housing. No worries says I, welch plug at the rear of the engine, which you can see is leaking. Trouble is the bottom 8mm of the plug is covered by the top of the bell housing, so tractor has to be split to fix it. Not really a big deal. Get the tractor into the workshop, off with the front end loader . Split it in half and replace the plug. Time for lunch.

Re-assemble the tractor and refit the loader. Fill it with water and start it up. Whoops, leaking out of the bell housing. New plug is fine. Tear it apart again to find there is another plug behind the flywheel. Should have looked harder in the first place. Hard to charge double labour for your own stupidity.

Bedford K Model Cylinder Compression 09 Mar 2020 12:09 #207296

• hayseed
  • Thank you received: 703

I could always drop out the connecting rod and push rods to number six and run it as a 178 cubic inch five cylinder!? :woohoo:
?

I've Got a Studebaker M16 Truck with a Piston & conrod in the Glovebox.
Old Bloke I got It toff Told Me there's a piece of Leather & a hoseclamp around the Cranksahft to keep the oil pressure up....
"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -

Bedford K Model Cylinder Compression 09 Mar 2020 13:18 #207301

• JOHN.K.
  • Thank you received: 752
Bloke up the road has a Hough IH 4x4 loader with a rod through the block..... bit of weld on the oil hole ,broken rod wired to the starter,hole plugged with rag and silastic....been running for years like that .......I gave him some Neuess pistons and rods,doubt hes ever kept them.

Bedford K Model Cylinder Compression 09 Mar 2020 20:41 #207310

• PDU
  • Thank you received: 750
Damn, you never know, I'm tempted to do it just for the sheer hell of it :unsure:
And I do have a spare Humber engine and gearbox sitting in the shed. Good enough for a Commer and 4.2 litres against the Bedford's 3.5 :whistle:

Last edit: by PDU.

Bedford K Model Cylinder Compression 09 Mar 2020 21:15 #207313

• asw120
  • Thank you received: 364
I have a 214 (I think) from an A3 down the back. I think the bellhousing's still on it, though. I could have a look. (Assuming it's the same?)

Jarrod.

“I offer my opponents a bargain: if they will stop telling lies about us, I will stop telling the truth about them”

― Adlai E. Stevenson II

Time to create page: 0.337 seconds

Historic Commercial Vehicles Club of Australia Inc.  Post: P.O. Box 2020 Bayswater Vic. 3153    Clubrooms: Unit 8 / 4  Macquarie Place Boronia    Club Phone: 0400 025 525    Club Rooms:  03) 9738 1558